• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,576
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

Shalom, bopeep1909.

Revelation 8:10-11 10 Then the third angel sounded: And a great star fell from heaven, burning like a torch, and it fell on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water. 11 The name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters became wormwood, and many men died from the water, because it was made bitter.

What do you think this will be?What does Wormwood mean?I wonder if there is really a star named "wormwood" that scientists are aware of now or will it be discovered and named during the tribulation?

It is truly amazing to me (and disconcerting) that NO ONE checked the Greek text of this passage! The Greek word translated as “Wormwood” was “Apsinthos.” There is a liquor that was named with this Greek word: absinthe.

Here’s Wikipedia on the subject:

Absinthe (11px-Speakerlink-new.svg.pngi/ˈæbsɪnθ/ or /ˈæbsænθ/; French: [apsɛ̃t]) is historically described as a distilled, highly alcoholic (45–74% ABV / 90–148 U.S. proof) beverage. It is an anise-flavoured spirit derived from botanicals, including the flowers and leaves of Artemisia absinthium ("grand wormwood"), together with green anise, sweet fennel, and other medicinal and culinary herbs. Absinthe traditionally has a natural green colour but may also be colourless. It is commonly referred to in historical literature as "la fée verte" (the green fairy). Although it is sometimes mistakenly referred to as a liqueur, absinthe is not traditionally bottled with added sugar; it is therefore classified as a spirit. Absinthe is traditionally bottled at a high level of alcohol by volume, but it is normally diluted with water prior to being consumed.

Absinthe originated in the canton of Neuchâtel in Switzerland in the late 18th century. It rose to great popularity as an alcoholic drink in late 19th- and early 20th-century France, particularly among Parisian artists and writers. Owing in part to its association with bohemian culture, the consumption of absinthe was opposed by social conservatives and prohibitionistsErnest HemingwayJames JoyceCharles BaudelairePaul VerlaineArthur RimbaudHenri de Toulouse-LautrecAmedeo ModiglianiPablo PicassoVincent van GoghOscar WildeAleister CrowleyErik Satie and Alfred Jarry were all known absinthe drinkers.

Absinthe has often been portrayed as a dangerously addictive psychoactive drug and hallucinogen. The chemical compound thujone, although present in the spirit in only trace amounts, was blamed for its alleged harmful effects. By 1915, absinthe had been banned in the United States and in much of Europe, including France, the NetherlandsBelgiumSwitzerland and Austria-Hungary. Although absinthe was vilified, it has not been demonstrated to be any more dangerous than ordinary spirits. Recent studies have shown that absinthe's psychoactive properties (apart from that of the alcohol) have been exaggerated. A revival of absinthe began in the 1990s, following the adoption of modern European Union food and beverage laws that removed longstanding barriers to its production and sale. By the early 21st century, nearly 200 brands of absinthe were being produced in a dozen countries, most notably in France, Switzerland, Australia, United States, Spain, and the Czech Republic.

Here’s some of what Wikipedia has to say about its etymology:

The French word absinthe can refer either to the alcoholic beverage or, less commonly, to the actual wormwood plant, with grande absinthe being Artemisia absinthium, and petite absinthe being Artemisia pontica. The Latin name artemisia comes from Artemis, the ancient Greek goddess of the hunt. Absinthe is derived from the Latin absinthium, which in turn comes from the ancient Greek ἀψίνθιον apsínthion, "wormwood". The use of Artemisia absinthium in a drink is attested in LucretiusDe Rerum Natura (I 936–950), where Lucretius indicates that a drink containing wormwood is given as medicine to children in a cup with honey on the brim to make it drinkable.

Some claim that the word means "undrinkable" in Greek, but it may instead be linked to the Persian root spand or aspand, or the variant esfand, which meant Peganum harmala, also called Syrian Rue—although it is not actually a variety of rue, another famously bitter herb. That Artemisia absinthium was commonly burned as a protective offering may suggest that its origins lie in the reconstructed Proto-Indo-European root *spend, meaning "to perform a ritual" or "make an offering". Whether the word was a borrowing from Persian into Greek, or from a common ancestor of both, is unclear. Alternatively, the Greek word may originate in a pre-Greek Pelasgian word, marked by the non-Indo-European consonant complex νθ.

Alternative spellings for absinthe include absinth, absynthe and absenta. Absinth (without the final e) is a spelling variant most commonly applied to absinthes produced in central and eastern Europe, and is specifically associated with Bohemian-style absinthes.

Thus, I believe that this “star” (a sputtering meteor that contaminates the drinking water over which it flies) will drop the chemical make-up of this drink or the plant upon these waters, hence the name.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

Shalom, bopeep1909.

Revelation 8:10-11 10 Then the third angel sounded: And a great star fell from heaven, burning like a torch, and it fell on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water. 11 The name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters became wormwood, and many men died from the water, because it was made bitter.

What do you think this will be?What does Wormwood mean?I wonder if there is really a star named "wormwood" that scientists are aware of now or will it be discovered and named during the tribulation?

It is truly amazing to me (and disconcerting) that NO ONE checked the Greek text of this passage! The Greek word translated as “Wormwood” was “Apsinthos.” There is a liquor that was named with this Greek word: absinthe.

Here’s Wikipedia on the subject:

Absinthe (11px-Speakerlink-new.svg.pngi/ˈæbsɪnθ/ or /ˈæbsænθ/; French: [apsɛ̃t]) is historically described as a distilled, highly alcoholic (45–74% ABV / 90–148 U.S. proof) beverage. It is an anise-flavoured spirit derived from botanicals, including the flowers and leaves of Artemisia absinthium ("grand wormwood"), together with green anise, sweet fennel, and other medicinal and culinary herbs. Absinthe traditionally has a natural green colour but may also be colourless. It is commonly referred to in historical literature as "la fée verte" (the green fairy). Although it is sometimes mistakenly referred to as a liqueur, absinthe is not traditionally bottled with added sugar; it is therefore classified as a spirit. Absinthe is traditionally bottled at a high level of alcohol by volume, but it is normally diluted with water prior to being consumed.

Absinthe originated in the canton of Neuchâtel in Switzerland in the late 18th century. It rose to great popularity as an alcoholic drink in late 19th- and early 20th-century France, particularly among Parisian artists and writers. Owing in part to its association with bohemian culture, the consumption of absinthe was opposed by social conservatives and prohibitionistsErnest HemingwayJames JoyceCharles BaudelairePaul VerlaineArthur RimbaudHenri de Toulouse-LautrecAmedeo ModiglianiPablo PicassoVincent van GoghOscar WildeAleister CrowleyErik Satie and Alfred Jarry were all known absinthe drinkers.

Absinthe has often been portrayed as a dangerously addictive psychoactive drug and hallucinogen. The chemical compound thujone, although present in the spirit in only trace amounts, was blamed for its alleged harmful effects. By 1915, absinthe had been banned in the United States and in much of Europe, including France, the NetherlandsBelgiumSwitzerland and Austria-Hungary. Although absinthe was vilified, it has not been demonstrated to be any more dangerous than ordinary spirits. Recent studies have shown that absinthe's psychoactive properties (apart from that of the alcohol) have been exaggerated. A revival of absinthe began in the 1990s, following the adoption of modern European Union food and beverage laws that removed longstanding barriers to its production and sale. By the early 21st century, nearly 200 brands of absinthe were being produced in a dozen countries, most notably in France, Switzerland, Australia, United States, Spain, and the Czech Republic.

Here’s some of what Wikipedia has to say about its etymology:

The French word absinthe can refer either to the alcoholic beverage or, less commonly, to the actual wormwood plant, with grande absinthe being Artemisia absinthium, and petite absinthe being Artemisia pontica. The Latin name artemisia comes from Artemis, the ancient Greek goddess of the hunt. Absinthe is derived from the Latin absinthium, which in turn comes from the ancient Greek ἀψίνθιον apsínthion, "wormwood". The use of Artemisia absinthium in a drink is attested in LucretiusDe Rerum Natura (I 936–950), where Lucretius indicates that a drink containing wormwood is given as medicine to children in a cup with honey on the brim to make it drinkable.

Some claim that the word means "undrinkable" in Greek, but it may instead be linked to the Persian root spand or aspand, or the variant esfand, which meant Peganum harmala, also called Syrian Rue—although it is not actually a variety of rue, another famously bitter herb. That Artemisia absinthium was commonly burned as a protective offering may suggest that its origins lie in the reconstructed Proto-Indo-European root *spend, meaning "to perform a ritual" or "make an offering". Whether the word was a borrowing from Persian into Greek, or from a common ancestor of both, is unclear. Alternatively, the Greek word may originate in a pre-Greek Pelasgian word, marked by the non-Indo-European consonant complex νθ.

Alternative spellings for absinthe include absinth, absynthe and absenta. Absinth (without the final e) is a spelling variant most commonly applied to absinthes produced in central and eastern Europe, and is specifically associated with Bohemian-style absinthes.

Thus, I believe that this “star” (a sputtering meteor that contaminates the drinking water over which it flies) will drop the chemical make-up of this drink or the plant upon these waters, hence the name.

Thanks that is interesting  :mgcheerful: .

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I have also heard Mr. Baxter speak of Chernobyl. Interesting to speculate, but not in line with my beliefs as a pretribber

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,644
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Many years ago before I was a believer (but still a little superstitious with regards to the Bible, like so many false, semi-believing and lapsed Christians are), I heard it said that the Ukrainian word for Wormwood was Chernobyl, so I thought that it may have been a reference to the Chernobyl nuclear disaster. This was without reading it or taking it in context with other verses, of course.

Now of course, I realise that none of that makes any sense, so I've stayed away from the 'wormwood' question. I just don't know what it means. I expect it will come clearer nearer to the time.

Chernobyl is not over yet.

Have you heard any recent news about the place?

And star falling from sky could be interpreted as the stuff of stars (nuclear fusion) here on earth.

Untitled-1.jpg

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  60
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

In reading the whole context of the topic. It appears there are several inbound space objects that prophetically will strike the earth. This could be a single entity that fragments as it approaches the earth. As verse 8 of Revelation indicates, the objects were purposely directed towards the earth, as direct judgments. However this judgment could have been set in motion at anytime in earth’s historical timeline, to be fulfilled during the last 7 years prior to Christ’s physical return. The first three trumpets describe the destruction from the judgments. The 4th trumpet is the resulting aftermath of the first three. 

The first trumpet judgment may possibly be describing a nuclear war taking place. The 2nd and 3rd trumpets strongly seem to indicate inbound objects impacting the earth from space, where as the 1st doesn’t necessarily indicate an impact, just that there is suddenly hail and fire mingled with blood, which could be a descriptive of nuclear detonations. This could also account for a 3rd part of the trees burning along with all the green grass.The debris thrown into the atmosphere and raining back down from a land base strike (3rd trumpet) of a large inbound object is the most likely scenario causing the 3rd part of the rivers and fountains to be polluted and bitter (Wormwood).

The fourth trumpet, I believe is the resulting aftermath of the first three. Here I believe one of two scenarios has happened. The sky is darkened and the day shone not for a third of it and the night likewise, from the debris thrown into the atmosphere by a possible nuclear war in the 1st trumpet, and the impacts from inbound objects from space in the 2nd and 3rd. Here we must consider the catastrophic destruction these events will cause to the earth’s surface and atmosphere. I’d imagine the death toll from these events could be in the 100’s of millions around the world.

Revelation 8:
7 The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.

8 And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;

9 And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed.

10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;

11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

12 And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise.

I’d like you to also consider the 2nd scenario. It is possible the impacts of these objects could cause the rotation of the earth to be altered. Read the descriptive in Revelation verse 12 again. The day shown not for a 3rd part of it and the night likewise. Is it possible this is describing the acceleration of the earth’s rotation?

I have always wondered what Christ meant in Matthew 24 verses 21 and 22. I have also searched for the fulfillment of this prophecy in the Revelation account. Since Matthew 24 appears to be a parallel account of Revelation if you compare the scriptures side by side, and the only reference (I can find) to what appears to be the shortening of the days is at the 4th trumpet descriptive.

Matthew  24:
21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

Consider this, Christ promises to shorten those days, and I believe the days being referred to are the ones immediately following the A.O.D. described in Matthew 24:15. The last 3½ years, 42 months, or the last 1260 days, as Revelation indicates this period of time last.

With that, did anyone see the problem. Revelation numbers the exact amount of days that will transpire. Christ say He will shorten those days. Are they numbered, or will they be shorten? I believe the solution to the problem may be revealed at the 4th trumpet. Christ wasn’t talking about shortening the number of days for the tribulation to transpire, I believe He was actually indicating the length of the days themselves would be shortened. A 3rd part of a 24 hour day is 8 hours. So if the days are shortened to 16 hour days, then Christ fulfills his promise, shortening the days, and the total number of days indicated throughout Revelation (1260) can transpire. In genesis the day is defined as an evening and  morning, this is not altered in this scenario. This will shorten the length of the last 3½ years in hours, not days, but still shortens the time for the period to transpire.

This timeline also reveals to us when the trumpet judgments may start, sometime near the beginning of the midpoint of the tribulation years. Just after or just prior to the A.O.D.

In Matthew verse 21, Christ describes this period of time as the worst time for the earth, tribulation never before seen, nor will it ever be seen again. Possible nuclear war followed by impacts from large inbound objects from space. We are talking destruction not seen since the flood of Noah. There is also a war in heaven near this midpoint where Satan and his fallen are cast out of heaven to the earth. Christ promises to shorten the days, however He accomplishes this, I hope He comes quickly. This is the last 1260 days of earth history before the 1000 year reign of Christ.

JMHO

Peace, but not yet.

Maranatha, ....the Lord cometh.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  642
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

bopeep1909 said in post 1:

What do you think this will be?

Revelation 8:10-11 could refer to when a comet will strike the earth, possibly in the U.S. and Canadian Great Lakes region. As the comet falls from the sky, it will look like a great star, or like a burning lamp in the sky (Revelation 8:10). It will strike a region of the earth which contains 1/3 of the world's fresh surface water (Revelation 8:10b), and it will contain some poisonous element which will poison that water so that many who drink from it will die (Revelation 8:11b).

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  642
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Rev2015 said in post 15:

Revelation 8 . . .

8 And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;

9 And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed.

Regarding the 2nd trumpet, Revelation 8:8a could refer to the collapse into the ocean of an erupting volcano, possibly one of the Canary Islands. Revelation 8:8b could refer to 1/3 of the North Atlantic turning blood-red due to a gigantic amount of blood-red mud pouring forth from the volcano into the sea for an extended period of time. Revelation 8:9a could refer to 1/3 of the sea creatures in the North Atlantic dying because of there being so much mud in the water. Revelation 8:9b could refer to 1/3 of the North Atlantic's ships being destroyed in port by a massive tsunami caused by the volcano's collapse into the ocean. This tsunami could destroy the eastern seaboard of the U.S.

If such a tsunami occurs, it could cause a string of awful, Fukushima-type, nuclear-meltdown radiation disasters in the nuclear power plants and their nuclear-waste storage facilities all along the eastern seaboard of the U.S. Also, if the tsunami breaks open the germ-containment structures on Plum Island, just off the coast of Connecticut, especially-deadly viruses and bacteria could be washed inland and spread across the U.S. and Canada as they infect animals and people.

Rev2015 said in post 15:

I have always wondered what Christ meant in Matthew 24 verses 21 and 22.

Matthew 24:22 and Mark 13:20 can mean all flesh on the earth would die if the Lord hadn't already shortened, as in "he hath shortened" (Mark 13:20b), the number of days of the future tribulation of Revelation chapters 6 to 18, Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21. The Lord could have already determined, from the beginning of Creation (cf. Isaiah 46:10), that he will return on the 1,335th day after the abomination of desolation (possibly a standing, android image of the Antichrist) is set up in the holy place (the inner sanctum) of a 3rd Jewish temple in Jerusalem (Matthew 24:15, Daniel 12:11-12, Revelation 16:15). And the Lord will return "immediately after the tribulation" (Matthew 24:29-31), immediately after its final event, the worldwide destruction during the 7th vial (Revelation 16:19, Revelation 19:2 to 20:6). So Mark 13:20 can mean if the Lord hadn't shortened the number of days of the tribulation, all flesh on the earth would die during the 7th vial's aftermath, which could be a nuclear-winter scenario (which the Lord will miraculously prevent at his return) brought on by the 10 kings of the Antichrist's empire nuking the cities of the nations at the 7th vial (Revelation 17:16-17a, Revelation 16:19).

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

On 5/18/2014 at 4:20 PM, missmuffet said:

What do you think this will be?What does Wormwood mean?

Grace and peace of our lord Jesus Christ.

Note that there is only one star, but a third of the rivers and springs of water will be contaminated. Therefore, such a star is broken in pieces and each debris falls into a water source. Observe that no fragment falls elsewhere. Thus, certainly, there is a demonic spirit behind guiding each debris to a spring.

Considering that the angels are compared with stars (see Rev 9.1) and that in Rev 12.9 Ha-Satan and his angels are throw down with him, therefore I believe that is in this moment (third trumpet) that occur the war in heaven (Rev 12.7). Ha-Satan and his demons, hence, while falling down towards earth, catch one asteroid, broken into pieces and each demon lead one debris to one spring of water. This asteroid is named wormwood because his chemical composition is the same as that substance or have the same flavor and cause the same effect.

May Jesus bless you,

Leonardo Von Dolinger de Brito.