fire-heart

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I'm not sure how my 2 posts here made me seem like a KJVO.  I would post some great info to the contrary.  My account was limited a long time ago so I can't copy/paste, quote, post pictures or videos.  I'm limited as to how much I can share on any given topic.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

I'm not sure how my 2 posts here made me seem like a KJVO.  I would post some great info to the contrary.  My account was limited a long time ago so I can't copy/paste, quote, post pictures or videos.  I'm limited as to how much I can share on any given topic.

There is nothing wrong with you account. It looks just like mine, except for the group and some notification selections. Try cleaning your cache and cookies.

Along with what Onelight said:

I've had similar issues when using Internet Explorer. Try using Firefox or Chrome browsers instead and see if you still can't copy/paste. You should be able to with a different browser.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

My 2  3 pet peeves are with the use of unicorn and corn. 

Unicorn is a medieval iconographic mythic animal that symbolized virtue strength etc in the medieval world. The kjv translators would have recognized a lot of additional meaning to the word unicorn than modern folks today realize. So their translation of unicorn from the original hebrew word has a lot of added meaning that was never intended in the original hebrew text. 

Corn is a new world plant. It was not part of the ancient middle east. It was a brand new plant at the time of the kjv translators. A novelty. They replaced the word for grain with corn in their translations. But corn was not grown in the middle east at the time the bible was written. Corn was unknown.

Ok and since Im getting in to it .... Easter is not the original greek word in the new testament. Yet that is what is translated.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

My wife and were saved back in the old Jesus Movement of the early seventies, and our ususal go-to Bible for study is the Amplified. For pleasure it's the KJV. We have many others at our house, and back when my wife was leading praise and worship at our church (before her health kept her from it) it wasn't unusal to find her at the kitchen table with six or seven translations open at once as she tried to glean different takes on the same passage.

We find no fault with KJV-only folks; sadly, many times we're not afforded the same courtesy.

What exactly do the KJV only folks do to you John?  Are you saying they find fault in you?  I am KJV only and couldn't care less what Bible translation you choose to read from, but I do have a problem with the new translations.  That is what makes me KJV only.

I have found some will go as far as questioning your faith if you question them.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Here’s some KJV objections. I have about 12 of them that I’d be open to discuss with others.

1st Objection. Holy Ghost ---- Holy Spirit (See Matt. 27:50, Matt. 28:19)

The KJV uses the term “ghost” 91 times in referencing to God’s Holy Spirit. “Ghost” is a mistranslation of the Greek word “pneuma” which means breath or spirit. The word “ghost” can be traced back to the Wycliffe translation of 1395. Coming from the famous old English poem Beowulf based on Germanic oral tradition the German/Gothic word “gast” or “gaest” was used in the poem possibly coming from the word “usgaisjan” to describe monsters, dragons, devils, etc. The application of this term “ghost” in reference to the Holy Spirit could qualify as blasphemy to some. The term “ghost” could also come from the old English word "gaesten" which means "to frighten". The term “ghost” is a pagan term used in a demonic sense. The term’s pagan use specifically refers to spirits of dead people who are believed to roam the earth.  

At the very least it is an inappropriate term in referencing God. At worst it is a seriously poor translation that is an affront to God.

God bless,

GE

enoob57, Trinitron, Salty, Butero or anyone else care to address this objection? Curious as to the response.

God bless,

GE

Cool I didn't realise that you can tag people in a response!

If interested my response is that it is just getting upset by words. I used to firmly say trespasses in the Lords Prayer while everyone around me was saying sins. I latger realised it didn't really matter to much what I say there. So these days I say sin but I am thinking transgressions in my mind. Likewise I would just subsititute spirit in my mind whenever I see the word ghost. The two words have been interchangeable for as long as I can remember. Similar to how the word pagan can have different meanings. It can mean any non-christian or it can mean a person of a particular religion. Both are correct.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Cool I didn't realise that you can tag people in a response!

If interested my response is that it is just getting upset by words. I used to firmly say trespasses in the Lords Prayer while everyone around me was saying sins. I latger realised it didn't really matter to much what I say there. So these days I say sin but I am thinking transgressions in my mind. Likewise I would just subsititute spirit in my mind whenever I see the word ghost. The two words have been interchangeable for as long as I can remember. Similar to how the word pagan can have different meanings. It can mean any non-christian or it can mean a person of a particular religion. Both are correct.

Yes, just copy and paste the name of the person into a post and it will tag people. ;)

I see your perspective re: tresspass vs sin. The words are similar and have similar meanings/connotation. The issue is the term "ghost" is not correct and means something completely different than "spirit". Do you see friend?

God bless,

GE

Along with what Onelight said:

I've had similar issues when using Internet Explorer. Try using Firefox or Chrome browsers instead and see if you still can't copy/paste. You should be able to with a different browser.

Yes I've had issues with Safari and Internet Explorer. I use Firefox as well. :thumbsup:

My 2  3 pet peeves are with the use of unicorn and corn. 

Unicorn is a medieval iconographic mythic animal that symbolized virtue strength etc in the medieval world. The kjv translators would have recognized a lot of additional meaning to the word unicorn than modern folks today realize. So their translation of unicorn from the original hebrew word has a lot of added meaning that was never intended in the original hebrew text. 

Corn is a new world plant. It was not part of the ancient middle east. It was a brand new plant at the time of the kjv translators. A novelty. They replaced the word for grain with corn in their translations. But corn was not grown in the middle east at the time the bible was written. Corn was unknown.

Ok and since Im getting in to it .... Easter is not the original greek word in the new testament. Yet that is what is translated.

Actually I hadn't researched the "unicorn" translation. Also, didn't realize they replaced "grain" with "corn". Both are interesting and worth looking into.

As far Easter goes…

3rd Objection. "Easter" vs "Passover"… (See Acts 12:4 for example)

KJV

And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

NKJV

So when he had arrested him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four squads of soldiers to keep him, intending to bring him before the people after Passover.

NASB

When he had seized him, he put him in prison, delivering him to four squads of soldiers to guard him, intending after the Passover to bring him out before the people.

The Greek word “pascha” is translated in error in the KJV. William Tyndale is often sited as the source of this error. The word references the Passover feast kept by Israel/Jews as part of the Old Covenant. The translators were instructed by King James to follow the Bishops Bible and former translations.

Of interest from the Textus Receptus:

Acts 12:4

on <3739> {WHOM} kai <2532> {ALSO} piasaV <4084> (5660) {HAVING SEIZED} eqeto <5087> (5639) {HE PUT} eiV <1519> {IN} fulakhn <5438> {PRISON,} paradouV <3860> (5631) {HAVING DELIVERED} tessarsin <5064> {TO FOUR} tetradioiV <5069> {SETS OF FOUR} stratiwtwn <4757> {SOLDIERS} fulassein <5442> (5721) {TO GUARD} auton <846> {HIM,} boulomenoV <1014> (5740) {PURPOSING} meta <3326> {AFTER} to <3588> {THE} pasca <3957> {PASSOVER} anagagein <321> (5629) {TO BRING OUT} auton <846> {HIM} tw <3588> {TO THE} law <2992> {PEOPLE.}

The Greek word “pascha” or the {correct} translation ""Passover" occurs in the Textus Receptus 27 times. KJV only people defend this error as the correct translation. The reason for this correction in the NKJV, NASB, and other translations is to not confuse people whether Believers or unBelievers that this celebration is based according to some on the Egyption celebration of the alleged resurrection of the false god Horus. Others say it was of Saxon origin derived from the word "Eostre" - the godess of love.

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,146
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1950

I have a kj bible and i admit there is some cool about the way the talk in it even though half the time i cant understand what its saying but still it very cool

I am right there with you on this.  i am well aware that our Lord did not use the thee's and Thow's that are in the KJV>  But I prefer it to "Yo Bro, follow Me".  And when I don't quite understand a particular word, I read it again and again.  Then, if that doesn't work, I use my KJV Study Bible.  Or, if I am near a computer I can access a Bible commentator like Dr. J. Vernon McGee.   :mgbowtie: