xyluz

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I'm taking the sword! It's much easier to get people to back down when you're holding a sword as opposed to a shield.

I've had that same experience with a short barrel 12 gage pump shotgun.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  73
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/01/1974

Hmm...does Other One have an NRA bumper sticker? He's so subtle...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

Shield

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  395
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Sword of truth will leave, what is true, still standing and alive.

I have faith that after the sword nicks me, here and there, that I too will still remain standing. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I like how this passage is written in the NKJV.

Ephesians 6:14-18

Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints -

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Hmm...does Other One have an NRA bumper sticker? He's so subtle...

I don't know about him, but i do and am unashamed ;-)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  481
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/08/1959

I like how this passage is written in the NKJV.

Ephesians 6:14-18

Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints -

I think this translation to be a little more accurate?:

Ephesians 6:14-18 ~NASB

14 Stand firm therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 [a]in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

18 [b]With all prayer and petition [c]pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, [d]be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints,

There's NEVER a choice of just one or the other. ALL are ALWAYS available to the born again Christian according to God. There is nothing on earth or in heaven that could prevent me from choosing ALL the above. However, NOTHING is given without faith. So the order would be to find our faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, then pick up all the equipment when we stand back up.

So if you can't see them both and more? Keep looking around. :thumbsup:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Literally speaking? In the Roman Arena? I'd first ask God if He had a preference for me... while I kept my eye on the sword. :cool2:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

You need both, in spiritual terms the sword is the Word and we need it to combat against the lies of the devil. And the shield is our Faith which wards off the fiery arrows of men's speech that try to belittle and mock and attack our faith.

But in regards to literal combat like back in the day with sword shield chariots and arrows, I would rather a shield, because if anything it could be used as a weapon by the edge of it.

Hey brother! Thanks for the prayers earlier.

I would like to remind you of the passage.

Ephesians 6

10Finally, be strengthened by the Lord and by His vast strength.s 11Put ont the full armoru of God so that you can stand against the tacticsv of the Devil12For our battle is not against fleshw and blood,but against the rulersagainst the authorities,x against the world powers of this darknessagainst thespiritual forces of evily in the heavens.z 13This is why you must take up the full armoraa of Godso that you may be able to resistab in the evil dayand having prepared everythingto take your stand.14Stand,ac therefore,

with truthad like a belt around your waist,

righteousnessae like armor on your chest,af

15and your feet sandaled with readiness

for the gospel of peace.ag

16In every situation take the shieldah of faith,ai

and with it you will be able to extinguish

all the flaming arrows of the evil one.aj

17Take the helmetak of salvation,

and the swordal of the Spirit,am

which is God’s word.

Our fight is not against humans. The shield of faith is to withstand the literal devil. Human reviling is a work of the devil, and the prince of the power of the air is at work in the sons of disobedience. 

Ephesians 2:2

Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

Our enemies are not the humans who revile us though. The fiery darts are literal attacks from the devil and his angels. Sometimes he attacks us through humans who are under his power (the sons of disobedience).

I told you about my thorn earlier. They are really around! I actually didn't know devils were around me until an angel was sent to open my eyes. Now I can hear them and see them (in a sense - I can see their outlines). I actually have one in my flesh right now. I could use more prayers! He does listen.

Peace in Christ

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  565
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

Thank you all for your replies... lol... some funny... 

I was just thinking about it, if there was a scale of preference, which would be at the top of the list for you?

Edited by xyluz

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings xyluz

Well,in your OP you did not mention if you are referring to spiritual warfare or physical war,,,,,,,I am glad we do not have to make a choice in spiritual warfare but if I had to it would be the Shield of Faith,I would prefer to be safe under Gods Wings & since He is the Word made flesh,my Protector & my Sword......Il'd have both anyway

As far as physical war ,,,,,,,,,,,"a" shield or 'the" Shield".......I'll take the Shield of Faith anyday,I can't honestly even answer this question because whether it is physical or spiritual I am a Christian & I trust God with my temporal & eternal life ,,,,,,,,I guess shield,I don't want to kill anyone if I can help it,dunno

With love-in Christ,Kwik