• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,580
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

Shalom, Pamelasv.

For crying out loud havent people had that happen when you did nothing to deserve it? So your hands were clean. That has happened quite frequently in my life. Maybe not to everyone. I have had people just hate me. I didn't do anything to them at all.

Perception is everything. Even if you have "done nothing wrong," if someone PERCEIVES that you have, then maybe you have and just don’t know it! We often sin without realizing it, and sometimes that is against God, but sometimes that is against our neighbor. The wise person will make amends, regardless whether he or she understands what went wrong. ASK! You might just say, “Oh, my goodness! I never knew! I am SO sorry!"

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,197
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

'Therefore if you are presenting your offer at the altar, and the there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering at the alter and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering.'

So my question is: Why?

Hi Pamelasv,

We see here in Matthew 5 that Jesus is teaching the people of Israel concerning the Law. You will notice that He addresses different parts of the Law & then brings in God`s underlining requirement - "But I say to you...." & addresses the heart motive.

eg. "You have heard that it was said to those of old, "You shall not commit adultery," But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in His heart.` (Matt. 5: 27 & 28)

Thus with the scripture you have asked about - bringing your offering before the altar, & going to be reconciled to your brother. The Law required all sorts of offerings to be brought to the altar in the temple, & Jesus is again focussing the people of Israel`s attention on the fact that God requires a right heart, & not just `burnt offerings.`  

This has to do with Israel & not the Body of Christ. Our heart motive is through Jesus & not connected to any offering in the Temple to cover sin etc.

Marilyn.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

This has to do with Israel & not the Body of Christ. Our heart motive is through Jesus & not connected to any offering in the Temple to cover sin etc.

It would be a grave error to believe that the teachings of the Lord in the Gospels were limited to the Jews.  That is hyper-dispensationalism.

Even though Jesus was always addressing Israel or His disciples while on earth, everything which Christ said has universal and undying application.  That is the beauty of the words of Christ, who is God. So while this passage is speaking about the offerings of a Jew, it has equal force for the offerings of all Christians, Jew or Gentile.  Christians also bring offerings to God, and before coming to worship they are required to examine themselves and their relationship to others.  As Paul says in 1 Cor. 11:28 "But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup".

It would be a grave error to believe that the teachings of the Lord in the Gospels were limited to the Jews.  That is hyper-dispensationalism.

Even though Jesus was always addressing Israel or His disciples while on earth, everything which Christ said has universal and undying application.  That is the beauty of the words of Christ, who is God. So while this passage is speaking about the offerings of a Jew, it has equal force for the offerings of all Christians, Jew or Gentile.  Christians also bring offerings to God, and before coming to worship they are required to examine themselves and their relationship to others.  As Paul says in 1 Cor. 11:28 "But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup".

Hi Ezra,

We know that - "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, & is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness...` (2 Tim. 3: 16)

It does not say that we are to apply everything, or pick & choose what we think God has said to others, for ourselves. That is plain nonsense. And you do not do that when you read the newspaper so why do it with God`s word. That is self orientated. eg. Do you take God`s divorce of Israel to yourself? Has that a universal & undying application, as you said. Of course not. 

`Sacrifices & offering, burnt offerings & offerings for sin you do not desire, not have pleasure in them" (which are offered according to the Law) then He said " behold, I have come to do your will, O God." He takes away the first that He may establish the second.`  (Heb. 10: 8 & 9) 

We need to. "Be diligent to present yourself approved of God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.` (2 Tim. 2: 15)

Ezra, I see you have a good understanding in some areas of the word, but you are failing, I believe to discern what God says specifically to the Body of Christ, or Israel or the nations. Thus it seems it is all about `us.` No, it is all about the Lord & His purposes for those 3 groups.

Marilyn. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/20/1987

Mat 5:21  "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'YOU SHALL NOT MURDER, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.'
Mat 5:22  But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, 'Raca!' shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire.
Mat 5:23  Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you,
Mat 5:24  leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.

If someone is angry with you, especially without cause, it is all the more important for you to reconcile for your benefit, but most importantly THEIRS. We are called to be set apart from the world, to take up our cross and follow Him. We are going to be hated because the world hated Him first. Because He abides in us, because the cross is offensive to the world, we are also offensive...without cause!

1Jn 4:13  By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit.

1Jn 3:13  Do not marvel, my brethren, if the world hates you.
1Jn 3:14  We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death.

Rom 3:10  As it is written: "THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NO, NOT ONE;

If you know that someone is angry at you for no reason, and you know without a doubt that you are not in the wrong...is it right for you to let them fester? Aren't you prideful, if you think that you shouldn't have to work it out with them, since they are clearly wrong? If we look at verses 21 and 22, even the person who was angry was still guilty of murder, even if they did not commit murder. Not only angry, but angry "without cause." If you are about to go worship God by bringing a sacrifice, and you know someone is angry with you (without cause of course), how could you truly worship God? God is love; what Jesus did was true love. He died and we didn't deserve it. So, you forgive your brother, even if he doesn't deserve it. Even if you are not wrong. You make yourself humble, because God is humble. And maybe your brother will realize that he was wrong all along, and seek your forgiveness. Everyone wins with Jesus :lightbulb2:

Edited by Widor1

Hi Widor1,

I hear you in relation to working through right relationships, however we must never take away from Christ`s sacrifice, once & for all.

You said -

{quote]`If you are about to go worship God by bringing a sacrifice...`

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/20/1987

I completely agree Marilyn. There is nothing we can do to substitue what Jesus did on the cross, and thank God for that! I was speaking in reference to verse 23, about bringing the gift to the alter.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

Do you take God`s divorce of Israel to yourself? Has that a universal & undying application, as you said. Of course not.

Please read again what I stated:

Even though Jesus was always addressing Israel or His disciples while on earth, everything which Christ said has universal and undying application.

I was clearly addressing the teachings of Christ, so what you have done is distorted what I said.  The teachings of Christ -- who is God -- are indeed of universal and undying application.  For example when Jesus addresses Nicodemus, a leading rabbi in Israel, He is addressing the world and every sinner.

Also, while you continue to harp on "the Body of Christ" you fail to mention that that is the Church, which is also the Bride and the Building of Christ.  So there is another distortion.

Hi Ezra,

You are trying you apply Jesus` teaching to Israel concerning the sacrifices at the altar, to us, whereas the application is about Jesus. He is the `altar` & every day, every moment we can come to Him through His sacrifice & not any sacrifice we bring.

Marilyn.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

IMO it is because this is exactly what God the Father did for us thru God the Son.  For Paul states that while we were God's enemies Christ died for us: For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, much more, being reconciled we shall be saved by His life.  Romans 5:10  Paul later calls us Ambassadors for Christ II Corinthians 5:20, no Ambassador to Jesus should allow others to harbor bad feeling without trying to clear things up, for Scripture is clear in teaching we should forgive others Matthew 6:14-15; Ephesians 4:32.  For if we allow other to be angry with us we become a stumbling block to his/her faith: Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.  Romans 14:13  In the life of the Christian the greatest blockade to a person's prayer life is not forgiving others, so if we can do something to help another forgive us even for nothing of our own fault, we keep that person in a right relationship with God, it kinda make us closer to God for Jesus did no wrong at all but put Himself in our place so that we could be children of God.