• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  20

Hi Ezra,

You are trying you apply Jesus` teaching to Israel concerning the sacrifices at the altar, to us, whereas the application is about Jesus. He is the `altar` & every day, every moment we can come to Him through His sacrifice & not any sacrifice we bring.

Marilyn,

If this was a matter of *opinion* I would not even respond.  But since this is a doctrinal issue, it requires a scriptural response, since you would be misleading many who read these posts but may not necessarily participate.

1. Believers are king priests (a holy priesthood) and bring offerings to God -- spiritual sacrifices (1 Pet 2:5).  So not only do we come to Christ but WE BRING SPIRITUAL SACRIFICES to God: Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.  Please note carefully that they are not only spiritual sacrifices, but they are sacrifices TO GOD by Jesus Christ.

2. What Christ said about physical offerings to the Jews is equally -- if not more so -- applicable to Gentiles. Indeed everything in Matthew chapters 5 and 6 is related to elevating the Ten Commandments to a higher and more spiritual level, and those commandments are fully applicable to believers (Rom 13:8-10) at an elevated level under the New Covenant (the Law of Christ).

3. The Lord Jesus Christ is NEVER called "the altar".  That is a very grave error, since He is the one great sacrifice for sins for ever. Note what Scripture says about *the altar* (metaphorically the Cross) and the sacrifice -- Christ Himself (Heb 13:10-13):  We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle. For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp.  Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.

Just as the Hebrews would never confuse the altar with the sacrifice, Christians have no business confusing the altar with the Sacrifice, who is called the Lamb of God.    On what did Jesus suffer?  On the Cross.  On what were animals sacrificed? On the altar.

What the Lord said to His hearers regarding physical offerings must also apply to Christians and their spiritual offerings (which include their monetary gifts and sacrifices).  We are required to examine ourselves and our relationships, and if a brother or sister has a grudge or animosity towards us, we are to be reconciled before we worship. This should never have become an issue, but since it has in this thread, it needs to be clarified and confirmed.

You would be wise to remain silent rather than introduce doctrinal errors (of which there are several) into this discussion.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,130
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Ezra,

Yes clarification is needed - the `altar,` represents the redemptive sacrifice of Christ.`

Now this is how I read you Ezra, I think you believe that -

`When believers are going to go a meeting to worship bringing their spiritual gifts, as you said of  - monetary & spiritual sacrifices (!), before they offer these they need to go & fix up any wrong relationships. This activity (bringing offerings) is connected to the `temple,` the denominational meeting.`

This is what I believe -

`Through Jesus` sacrifice we can come any time, any where, to offer praise & ask requests. Also any time & any where we can be prompted by the Holy Spirit to fix up any relationships with others & repent ourselves of any sins.`

There is another part of your answer that I would like to address, later.

Marilyn.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.46
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

'Therefore if you are presenting your offer at the altar, and the there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering at the alter and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering.'

So my question is: Why?

We need to have a clean conscience before the Lord when we come together to give and receive of the Lord, and when we partake of communion. If we have done wrong to a brother or sister, we need to immediately make it right before carrying forward. I have done this, and it is indeed a humbling and very uplifting thing for both people involved, and paves the way for the Lord to bring great blessing to each party.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,130
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Ezra,

The doctrinal issue is - `the elevation of the Law,` or `the exaltation of Jesus.`

`Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.` (Gal. 3: 24)
`Therefore God also has highly exalted Him & given Him the name which is above every name.` (Phil. 2: 9)

Matthew 5 & 6 is about Jesus telling Israel that they couldn`t fulfil the law. They had elevated the law to their own detriment, even trying to put it above Jesus.

When we read Matthew 5 & 6 the lesson is that we also can`t fulfil the law, especially from the heart. However since Christ fulfilled the law we can now continually look to Him to change our hearts. This focuses on Christ & His wonderful work, & not upon us.

When we try & do the activities of Matt. 5 & 6 we will fall under the law. However if we grow in knowing more of Christ, His character & sacrifice for us, then we will overcome & live by the Spirit.

When we read Matt. 5 & 6, we should be saying –

How blessed are we in Christ, because of His great sacrifice I can now become more merciful...
How blessed are we in Christ, because He fulfilled the law, I can now come to Him all the time with my offerings of praise & thanksgiving. I do not have to go through man or man`s organisations to do this.
How blessed are we in Christ, because of His holy Character, I can now be changed in my heart & do not have to `cut off my right hand,` etc.

Many in man`s organisations would have us to be continually trying to fulfil the law, bringing us under condemnation. But the truth is that in Christ there is now no condemnation to those who walk after the Spirit. If we fall, we have an advocate, Christ Jesus. We have conviction by the Holy Spirit, & if we repent & work with the Him we will overcome.

We do not elevate the law, but exalt the Lord Jesus Christ.

Marilyn.

Edited by Marilyn C

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Days Won:  37

Remember when Paul speaks about how the Corinthians may eat of anything they find in the market place, and not to worry about whether it is clean or not - but if a brother weaker in the faith would have his faith damaged, they were not to eat of foods known to be unclean for the sake of the brother in the Lord, and that if they did eat, they would use their liberty in Christ to become a stumbling block for their brother?

It seems to me the same principle is at work here.   If someone has something against us, even if it is not valid, we are instructed to go to them and reconcile ourselves with them - if we do not, then we also would be using our liberty in Christ to become a stumbling block to our brother.   Going to our brother allows them an opportunity to forgive and let go of their anger  - for, as Jesus taught us in the Lord's prayer, "Forgive us our sins AS we forgive those who sin against us"  -  and receive forgiveness; and it gives us an opportunity to die just a little bit more to ourselves and become more like Christ. It is a win - win for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Neither do we create a false dichotomy.  It is Christ who elevated the Law to a higher plane, and thus it is now the Law of Christ, and that is what is found in the Gospels and the epistles. 

Every teaching of Christ pertaining to the Law ultimately leads to the Law of Christ.  Therefore you do NOT exalt Christ by denying this Bible truth:  Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. (Galatians 6:2).

Marilyn, as I said some time back, it is better to remain silent than to misinterpret Scripture and possibly cause someone to stumble or lead them astray.  We will be judged by every word we say or write, as George pointed out recently.  Matthew chapters 5 & 6 are an integral part of the Law of Christ, and if you wish to dispute that, you have a dispute with the Lord Himself.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

Neither do we create a false dichotomy.  It is Christ who elevated the Law to a higher plane, and thus it is now the Law of Christ, and that is what is found in the Gospels and the epistles. 

Every teaching of Christ pertaining to the Law ultimately leads to the Law of Christ.  Therefore you do NOT exalt Christ by denying this Bible truth:  Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. (Galatians 6:2).

Marilyn, as I said some time back, it is better to remain silent than to misinterpret Scripture and possibly cause someone to stumble or lead them astray.  We will be judged by every word we say or write, as George pointed out recently.  Matthew chapters 5 & 6 are an integral part of the Law of Christ, and if you wish to dispute that, you have a dispute with the Lord Himself.

Now that is an interesting subject, about being careful about what we say. I had often thought in here, this is more of a discussion, not where someone should come in here and take for gospel truth the meaning of what everyone says. Since this is not a formal forum for teachers, in which people would more seriously heed what we are saying, but a place to take in the views and probably the one who asked the question, as in my experience anyway, would come across that post where what seems like the right answer just clicks. If many are even bothering to read this anymore, how about agreeing with what I am saying, if this has been your experience also? And belief on the matter. Mostly I like to discuss the bible, since I do not get to do it much in person. Which is why I often don't just go and do these Internet searches anymore unless nobody comes up with something that clicks for me. As God did not give anyone person or teacher out there ALL the answers. Some have a whole lot more of understanding, yes, but God does not give someone ALL the answers.

Pamela,

Since this is a section devoted to "Doctrinal Questions", answers to those questions (such as yours) must provide Bible doctrine backed with Scripture which has been properly exegeted.  The Bible has the answers, and those answers can be presented as such.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,778
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

'Therefore if you are presenting your offer at the altar, and the there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering at the alter and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering.'

So my question is: Why?

Jesus did many things that please people, but at the same time made some other people hate him and angre.

At the following verses we see that the adversary of the person in the temple had a complain against him, that he could prove it, before the court, resulting in a conviction and a fine or retribution of damages would have to be payed. And that he would not go out of jail till he repayment of the last penny.

In the verses before Jesus is taulking about not only been angree, but acting in anger.

This man with the gift, he did know, that he had an adversary and he was asking the Lord for help and favour or protection.

a) Jesus was telling him, that you have wrong someone, even thought you beleive you have not, take another look in your situation, and settle the matter with him or else.

b) could be that your adversary is a wealthy, and powerful person and he can influence the judges to side with him even if you are inosent, so go and settle the matter, fair or not fair is better for you.

Then come back and thank God, you were not thrown in jail and hope you learn something.

mine point of view.

Be happy if the hate you or thing bad about you for the faith of Jesus Christ. Don't let them go under your skin.

This is a CIVIL matter,

and not to confuse criminal matters, and confesses your pitty acts to the police voluntarily.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,778
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

Hi Ezra,

Yes clarification is needed - the `altar,` represents the redemptive sacrifice of Christ.`

Now this is how I read you Ezra, I think you believe that -

`When believers are going to go a meeting to worship bringing their spiritual gifts, as you said of - monetary & spiritual sacrifices (!), before they offer these they need to go & fix up any wrong relationships. This activity (bringing offerings) is connected to the `temple,` the denominational meeting.`

This is what I believe -

`Through Jesus` sacrifice we can come any time, any where, to offer praise & ask requests. Also any time & any where we can be prompted by the Holy Spirit to fix up any relationships with others & repent ourselves of any sins.`

There is another part of your answer that I would like to address, later.

Marilyn.

Jesus said come as you are, to receive the living water from me, and the bread of life, (in the prophets , come without mony and gifts and get free water and bread from me)

The new system: you don't need the priest, you don't need their rules and their ristrictions, (unles you belong to their groups and you want to be in their fold)

Jesus was telling his disciples, ask not in the old way, (but if someone ask, some how with the old influence, let them ask, you don't need to follow)

He said I will be glorify, then ask anything you want by faith.

Even if you enter the throne of grace feeling condemn like Esther still do it, even with anger, still do it, even with complains still do it,

Even with thanksgiving (Recommended), even with a combination, any combination and include thanksgiving or not, go to him by faith, don't let anything stop you, because he is worthy, that moment don't examine yourself, there is another time for that, BY FAITH. and if you add something still ask by Faith, so no one Is judge.

You are a fisty person and you stand your ground, and wisdom is with you, and growing more and more,

One day you will see Jesus face to face and thats here while still on earth.

The old way is demolish, by FAITH is the better way. You are worthy in his name.