IGNORED

The 'Selfie' obsession - I don't get it!

MorningGlory

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  165
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Yep. "I am 2nd". :)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1

Sighhh..... (Slams the door of this thread)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,254
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I just reactivated my Facebook page (my kids nagged me into it) and scrolling through it was quite an experience. Do people really need to post every single thing they do? And the constant selfies! One old friend posted 16 in one day. She's not a kid; she's in her mid forties and just average looking but there she is ....in short shorts, tight dresses, low cut blouses in her car. What? I think this world has gone crazy. I'm curious if it's just people I know or is this common to post pictures of yourself ad nauseum? This article makes some valid points.

http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2014/04/scientists-link-selfies-to-narcissism-addiction-and-mental-illness.html

Out of all my friends there are only a couple b or three that post a lot of pictures of themselves.

Have you ever posted a picture of yourself? I can truthfully say that I have never posted even ONE. I don't see what the motivation is but going overboard annoys your 'friends'.

I have rarely in vacation pictures, but I actually take very few pictures where I am in them. The ones I have posted were requested. Some friends like to know who they converse with.

We also have a neighborhood watch group that is closed to all outsiders where we discuss neighborhood doings and security.

We pass along many news stories as we do here. I get more revelant news on my feed than I do Drudge. Have friend's from all walks of life and all over the world. Some even threaten to kill me some day, but we have had some very interesting conversations about Allah.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  5

Because some people don't get enough attention in the real world, it's a way to make them feel good about themselves. I suppose that everyone copes differently with their inner selves, it does seem like an addiction to some though. I think also, everyone feels the need to be loved in some way or another, so it probably is an alternative way to somewhat feel that in a synthetic way.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Because some people don't get enough attention in the real world, it's a way to make them feel good about themselves. I suppose that everyone copes differently with their inner selves, it does seem like an addiction to some though. I think also, everyone feels the need to be loved in some way or another, so it probably is an alternative way to somewhat feel that in a synthetic way.

And this is judgmental. You cannot state what their motives are. Some like to take lots of photos. And then post them. Their motives could vary from just enjoying doing that to weird attention seeking behavior. We are not to judge on appearances like that.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  5

It's the same thing with just about any forum, many (but not all) people get addicted to them because it's either a like or reputation point they are seeking. A lot of it has to do with loneliness, which is understandable.

It's the same thing with just about any forum, many (but not all) people get addicted to them because it's either a like or reputation point they are seeking. A lot of it has to do with loneliness, which is understandable.

:/

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/23/1967

I think people are making WAY too much of "Selfies." Cell phones have made it super easy to post pictures on social media sites. While there may be a small percentage of people who use selfies to try to puff themselves up to their friends, the majority are just ordinary people using technology to sort of just say "hi." A lot of selfies are designed to be funny...or to capture the scenery behind the person in the selfie. People tend to embrace new technology as it comes out...cell phone cameras are no different. Looking back at the huge expense of developing film, I'm glad there is a nearly free way to take all the pictures we want now. Think of all the moments you could've captured while raising your children (if you have any) if digital photography was available 20 years ago.

Granted, some people get carried away with selfies at times...and I'd chalk it up to either a new phone or a new hair style most of the time. Personally, I like to see "selfies" of friends and especially kids I've watched grow up. I save my favorites on my computer and smile as I look them over occasionally.

Edited by D-Dawn

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

For men shall be lovers of their own selves....we have arrived! Time to take a selfie!!!

Our profiles are selfie too. Hehehheh