IGNORED

What does "having dominion" over women really mean?

jmldn2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

if a man is loving and treating his wife as Jesus does the church, why in the world would a woman not let him alone and let him be the head/leader of their relationship/home.

I can answer that for you, O.O.  Some men are simply poor decision makers, poor authoritarians and poor stewards of resources.  Some women are all of those things too, of course.  But my point is that sometimes a husband may be a good man but be unable or unwilling to make good decisions for a family and the wife has no option except to take on those things herself.

I think compromise is in order here.There should not be a partner in a marriage that wants to put their thumb on the other spouse.It is a 50/50 partnership with God #1 in your marriage.Most marriages will survive if they genuinely have God in the driver's seat of their relationship.

if a man is loving and treating his wife as Jesus does the church, why in the world would a woman not let him alone and let him be the head/leader of their relationship/home.

I can answer that for you, O.O.  Some men are simply poor decision makers, poor authoritarians and poor stewards of resources.  Some women are all of those things too, of course.  But my point is that sometimes a husband may be a good man but be unable or unwilling to make good decisions for a family and the wife has no option except to take on those things herself.

I think compromise is in order here.There should not be a partner in a marriage that wants to put their thumb on the other spouse.It is a 50/50 partnership with God #1 in your marriage.Most marriages will survive if they genuinely have God in the driver's seat of their relationship.

It is not a 50-50 partnership according to scripture, and I gave a lot to back up my position.  The husband is the ruler in his home, period.  That even applies to husbands who may be doing a poor job.  Certainly he can delegate authority to the wife, and if he is wise and is weak in areas she is strong, it makes good sense to do so, but he doesn't have to.  I do think it is smart to try to reach agreement wherever possible, but if it cannot be reached, the husband has the final say.  The only exceptions would be if he is demanding his wife sin.  The reason why he doesn't have the authority to do that is because Christ is over the husband, and we have Biblical examples of where someone was told to sin and they refused to obey decrees from their authorities.  Daniel and the three Hebrew children come to mind, as well as the disciples who were warned not to preach in Jesus' name.  They all obeyed those who had the rule over them until there was a conflict with God's laws.  That is how I can say the wives are to obey their husbands in everything, as scripture states, but not to commit sin if that is what he asks her to do. 

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

I would suggest that is a major reason for a couple to be "equally yoked" and in all things discuss, listen to each other and come to a good understanding of any decision that must be made. Women should always want the husband to "look a good husbandman as the husband should always want his wife to be held in esteem". Consider the Song of Solomon....a perfect example of Christ and the Bride. They then compliment and make the other shine.

Men have been browbeaten by women as women by men. 

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

Are you married Butero? Just curious?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,197
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

OK, should men have dominion over women in today's world?  Is that biblical.  What does it truly mean to "wives submit" to your husbands?

I believe that God said 'husbands over wives', not men over women.  Women are not subject to be ruled over by bosses, friends or male relatives.  I am totally amazed at how many men think the Bible puts them in authority over women.  It doesn't. 

Well...actually the whole point of being the boss is that you make the rules...as for the rest, I agree 

Let me clarify that 'boss' thing; yes, a male boss (or even a female one) makes the rules at work but has no PERSONAL  authority over women. 

comment.... now what do you think of that miss smarty pants :blink:

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

I think love is the key to all things.

It is not a 50-50 partnership according to scripture, and I gave a lot to back up my position.  The husband is the ruler in his home, period.  That even applies to husbands who may be doing a poor job.  Certainly he can delegate authority to the wife, and if he is wise and is weak in areas she is strong, it makes good sense to do so, but he doesn't have to.  I do think it is smart to try to reach agreement wherever possible, but if it cannot be reached, the husband has the final say.  The only exceptions would be if he is demanding his wife sin.  The reason why he doesn't have the authority to do that is because Christ is over the husband, and we have Biblical examples of where someone was told to sin and they refused to obey decrees from their authorities.  Daniel and the three Hebrew children come to mind, as well as the disciples who were warned not to preach in Jesus' name.  They all obeyed those who had the rule over them until there was a conflict with God's laws.  That is how I can say the wives are to obey their husbands in everything, as scripture states, but not to commit sin if that is what he asks her to do. 

I am sure glad you are not my husband :huh:.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

I am sure glad you are not my husband

Since butero has given the correct interpretation of Scripture regarding this matter, what you are saying is that you reject the biblical teaching on headship and submission, and you would impose your own personal ideas by suggesting a 50-50 partnership.  "Faith" means believing God even though your flesh rebels against His principles.

I am sure glad you are not my husband

Since butero has given the correct interpretation of Scripture regarding this matter, what you are saying is that you reject the biblical teaching on headship and submission, and you would impose your own personal ideas by suggesting a 50-50 partnership.  "Faith" means believing God even though your flesh rebels against His principles.

The submission of the wife to the husband Ephesians 5 does not allow the husband to be selfish or domineering or use his wife as a doormat.When a wife is loved by her husband as the Church is loved by Christ submission is not difficult Ephesians 5:24.There should be mutual love and respect on both sides.A couple can also use a 50/50 partnership within the God given marriage.

Edited by bopeep1909

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,138
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

If you want to find out how this works, then attend one of these weekends....     I can promise you won't go home the same, even if you are not having problems at home.

http://www.familylife.com/WeekendToRemember