tigger398

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

We,re talking Celebrating Halloween,what will be really celebrated?   Are we celebtating Jesus? Celebrate Jesus...celebrate..

What would Jesus do if He lived among us?

Also: 

Michael Ford is an author and co-president Greater Church of Lucifer, which is set to open Oct. 30 in Old Town Spring with a three-day celebration featuring presentations about the church's philosophy. 

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Greater-Church-of-Lucifer-plans-Halloween-opening-6576805.php

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Well, Cletus, not selective hearing, you gave me more which invited criticism if you really want it, but I thought I would be kind and just go for part of it, the part where you decided to tell me what my basic take was!

You may not have mentioned idols, did it occur to you, that I was making the comment on the topic, and lot limiting myself to only what you said? Idols were mentioned, because in as much as you felt it sensible to inform me of what my take was, I thought I would make my take a little clearer, in case someone reading this thread, thought my take was what you thought it was.

Idols are nothing, they are human made objects with no real significance, so as long as we do not make them into something they are not, objects of worship etc, then I do not think I need to be overly concerned about them. If a hollowed out pumpkin with a candle in it, is a decoration, then it is just a decoration, and a decoration is harmless. Likewise, a Christmas tree, can be a holiday decoration. When people think a pumpkin will ward off evil spirits, or a Christmas tree is something to worship like a druid might, then we have a problem. 

I doubt many who read this threads worship pine trees or scare demons with lanterns. So, these holiday practices are harmless, because they mean nothing. People typically are just having a little fun, a break from monotony. There is no reason to be uptight about things that have no spiritual significance for the people using them. It is the intention of the heart, that makes something clean or unclean. 

I do not keep Kosher, nor worry about many things that I am free from in Christ. I apologize if that is disturbing to you.

. . . oh, and the candy corn . . . I sure hope you were not talking about that, but you were not all that clear what you were talking about, I do not recall that you mentioned anything in those holidays that met with your approval, was there something?

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Halloween IS evil. It teaches kids entitlement mentality. Candy wealth redistribution. You owe these strange kids candy. Its your job to provide for their candy needs.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.68
  • Days Won:  37

Halloween IS evil. It teaches kids entitlement mentality. Candy wealth redistribution. You owe these strange kids candy. Its your job to provide for their candy needs.

rflol

okay, you have convinced me jade, Halloween, Easter, and Christmas are all entitlement programs for bratty kids!

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

okay, you have convinced me jade, Halloween, Easter, and Christmas are all entitlement programs for bratty kids!

:huh:

Dont take away my chocolate bunnies. I get them for myself. I dont beg for chocolate bunny handouts. I dont expect others to subsidize my chocolate bunny habit.

Other than that, yes those holidays are entitlement programs. You forgot about valentines day. That too is an entitlement program, for single adults.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

:huh:

Dont take away my chocolate bunnies. I get them for myself. I dont beg for chocolate bunny handouts. I dont expect others to subsidize my chocolate bunny habit.

Other than that, yes those holidays are entitlement programs. You forgot about valentines day. That too is an entitlement program, for single adults.

we are going to take away your birthday as well!  And paid holidays. . . . .

Okay Cletus,

I think we can find some common ground here, and clear up some misconceptions perhaps, I am busy right now, but I will return (Lord willing) to respond to your most recent post.

I said I would reply, so I guess I will, at least to a few points,

You said:

"But hey, if its just a decoration and not an idol we could, as you put it, in good faith, get a statue of the devil.  you know the one with a human type body but with goat legs and a goat head.  we could put it in our front yard or in our living room.  I mean, its not an idol right?    My point is its what it represents.

Well, the topic is about Christians and Halloween, not Satanists and Halloween. I certainly am not suggesting that Christians should have statues of the Devil, and I doubt that most Christians would want one. That all but makes it a straw man argument. I don't think anyone is talking about that. Would it be an idol? No, not unless it was an object of worship, or was higher in importance than God is, so even if they had one, I don't think it is that much of a problem.. In is a piece of wood, or plastic, or  concrete, nothing more.

Where I would have the biggest problem with that (aside from wondering why a Christian would want such a thing, I can't imagine why anyone would want a pink car, but to each their own) is that if it was in public view, what would others think about it? That, again, comes back to the issue of stumbling others, which I already addressed - don't want to do that.

Let's take a similar notion - a Santa Claus in the front yard. I wouldn't have one of those either. However, I doubt anyone is worshiping it, and I doubt anyone would view it as a symbol of evil, like they would the Devil statue, but still people will have opinions about it, and what it represents. Some will think of a character with historic roots, some with think of it a Catholic, some as Pagan, but most probably see it as some harmless, holiday fun, some fat old man who dresses funny and rewards good behavior in children by bribery.

I come back to the question, of what is in the heart of those who practice Christmas (or Halloween), that is what matters the most. If one is thinking evil, then it is evil. With regard to holidays etc, people can read from the Bible and decide what is applicable, and what is not:

1Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. 2One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. 4Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

5One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. 8If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

10You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister ? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 

I try to take a position, that is compatible with everything in that passage. I do not want to stumble those weak in their faith. I do not want to judge those who celebrate in ways I do not care to, but I will judge brothers and sisters (so called) if they should use such things for wanton carousing, for worshiping anything not God.

You asked:

Dont God say something in the bible about profaning His sabbaths and feasts and... holy days?

Yes, that sounds a bit familiar. Of course, neither Christmas, Halloween, nor Easter, are God's holy days. Most Christians ignore Passover, Unleavened Bread, Firstfruits, the Feast of Weeks (Pentecost), the Feast of Trumpets, the Day of Atonement, and the Feast of Booths. They also fail to keep the Sabbath Holy, and work on it, in direct disobedience to a commandment of God. If you want to worry about profaning His Sabbaths, feasts, and holy days, then start with those, and don't apply it out of context to modern traditions, that seems sensible to me.

You also said:

"halloween has never had roots in christianity but we refer to it as a holiday.... holy day?"

Well, I am not a historian or a scholar, I doubt that you are either.

So, quoting someone more knowledgeable than I:

"Halloween a contraction of "All Hallows’ Evening") also known as Allhalloween, All Hallows' Eve, or All Saints' Eve, is a yearly celebration observed in a number of countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day. It begins the three-day observance of Allhallowtide, the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed believers.

According to many scholars, All Hallows' Eve is a Christianized feast influenced by Celtic harvest festivals, with possible pagan roots, particularly the Gaelic festival Samhain. Other scholars maintain that it originated independently of Samhain and has solely Christian roots."

So, my only bone to pick really, in this thread, is that I find the idea of wagging fingers at others for their family traditions, to be a bit distasteful, and unloving. Unloving, because, people may be innocently involved in a practice, that has no spiritual significance whatsoever, and now, telling them it is pagan, (some occasionally equate it to demon worship) makes it matter of conscience and suddenly, something that was not sinful, has become sinful for them. What a shame,

Finally you also said:

" If you want to tell the kids a pagan god is gonna come leave a basket (harvests o plenty representation) with goodies, go ahead. 

it is what it is, and its not christian."

Of course it is what it is, everything is exactly what it is, not more and no less. What is not true, is that it is what you claim it is. Who said anything about telling kids that a pagan god is going to leave a basket? Talk about misrepresenting an issue, that is a perfect example. I do not know of anyone who has ever done that, Christian or not!

As far as I am concerned, telling kids a pagan god exists are all, is a lie, and that should not be done. However, I think it is also deceiving, to imply that people who do no such thing, are doing such a thing. That, if it were directed at a specific individual, would be a defamation of character:

"There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers."

That is why I hate it when this topic comes up every year. 

You can have the last word or not, your choice, I am done with the thread.

Wiki article about Halloween.

Oh, since today is October 31st,

Happy Reformation Day!