• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 1/20/2016 at 3:22 PM, manuelf324 said:

How does one actually walk away from sin? You don't walk away because you can't. If your truly saved then you are dead to sin and you no longer serve it. You still have your sinful flesh though you can live in a cabin in the woods and still sin like the lost do. 

Unlike the lost when you do sin the Holy Ghost convicts you. The Holy Ghost  agitates your conscience and continues to do so until you confess your sin. 

KJV Romans  6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness. 

We all make mistakes, things we shouldn't do, words we shouldn't say.  That is way forgiveness is so wonderful.  We confess we have sinned, He forgives us.  As long as we live in this broken world and are in these bodies we will sin but we are not a slave to it.  The Holy Spirit convicts as mauel said but forgiveness is always ours if we just ask.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  180
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 10:25 AM, algots said:

You mean words like Abracadabra, or Presto-chango?

algots, I'll assume you want to know what I mean, so I'll explain.

Jesus said in the Gospel of John that anyone who comes to Him and "believes" in Him He will give eternal life. He also tell us that the Holy Spirit quickens the believer which means that He gives the believer a new life the moment the person "believes." I suppose you could think of it as you put it "Presto-chango" because the Holy Spirit really does change us the moment we believe.

Thanks for asking

John

Edited by john14:6

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  12/11/1995

These are incredibly profound thoughts! Thoughts I have myself at times regarding God and our sin. Of course I don't have all the answers. Heck, I probably only have like two answers to pin to my "religion résumé" but I will say this: It's difficult finding comfort in knowing you are saved when nothing crazy happens. 

I heard a lot of testimonies of faith growing up and one thing that never happened to me was that "wow I'm 100% sure I'm saved in this one crazy life changing moment." Most people don't have that. I Can say that it's amazing to hear how God has been calling you to him and it is also amazing to hear how you are trying to answer that call. 

As far as sin goes, no one is without sin. The whole point of Christ coming down and dying on the cross for us was so that the sins that we repent are forgiven by the Grace of God through Jesus. That's exactly it though; Repentance. I am a sinner. I sin and I sin and I hate that. But I know that when I ask God for forgiveness, accepting my faults and wanting to be free from it, he does just that. I have always struggled with that. 

I hope that as you journey with God, you become more confident in the grace of the Lord and in yourself as a follower of Him! 

• Loved it! 1

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  180
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

tlostandFoundt,

I want to share some thoughts with you about your post.

You said; “I read the post on how to become saved. There is one glaring problem with it. How does one actually walk away from sin?” You also said, “If this action is dependent on departing sin I have already lost.”

I have heard preachers say that a person must turn from their sin to accept Christ. Well, honestly I don't think anyone can actually turn from their sin without the help of the Holy Spirit working in their life. I think a better way to look at this is that an unbeliever should "want" to turn from his/her sin to Christ believing He will forgive their sin and change their life. We are all sinners by the very fact that we live in these natural bodies, and even born again Christians still have to fight the sin battle.

Then you asked the following question; “How does one actually give themselves over to Christ?” “I say the words.”

First, a person must realize his need to have his sin forgiven, and then he must want to be forgiven. From reading your post I assume that you have heard the Gospel message and want to accept Christ as your savior. Just saying the words, like repeating a prayer, might or might not mean you are saved. The words you say don't save you. Salvation is more than saying a prayer. Some people are trusting their prayer to save them. IOW, their faith is in their prayer, but not in Jesus.  

True salvation is a transfer of trust from self to Christ. The salvation prayer is the sinners' hand of faith reaching out to Jesus. The amount of faith is not important; the weakest faith is saving faith if the object of that faith is Jesus. 

I am going to end my remarks and include links to 2 excellent articles that I believe will help answer your questions. The author of these articles is the late Dr. John R Rice.

1. What Must I do to be Saved?

http://www.wholesomewords.org/resources/saved.html

2. How to Come to Jesus?

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=10522

I can provide other reading materials for you if you want. Really, your best source for answers is God's Word, especially the Book of John, the Gospel of John. The Book of Romans is also another book I suggest you read, and you might need to read both book more than one time. Just don't give up & quit searching. This is very important, ask God to help you find whatever it is you need to find a settled assurance of salvation. God wants you to know you are saved & forgiven, and He will help you through your struggle if you will look to Him. You might find your answer in His Word, or you might find it listening to a sermon, or maybe you might be talking to someone, and someday something you read, or hear will be used by the Holy Spirit to turn on the light for you and you will “get it.” Then you will know what to do and how to do it. My suggestions are based on my own struggle with doubting my salvation which lasted for several miserable years before God showed me the truth about His Way to save us. The day finally came that He did actually turn on the light for me and I “got it.” My life changed that day some 35+ years ago, and I still have absolute assurance of salvation, and a peace that is impossible to explain to anyone who has never experienced the peace that only God can give.

Hope this helps you find your way to Jesus.

John

Edited by john14:6

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Just want to say thank you again for the amazing responses.

Thank you John and thank you Alice and thank you Rusty and thank you Willa and thank you everybody.

There is so much wisdom that has been shared and I am very grateful.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 1/23/2016 at 7:49 AM, Littlelambseativy said:

However, Nowhere in the Bible does it say the infant is born sinful. It does say we were born in sin....it does say that we were conceived in sin..

Yes David did say in Psalms 51:5 "I was brought fourth in inequity and in sin did my mother conceived me."  That means all of us are born into sin.  But infants, little children are innocent in God's eyes.  There is an age of accountability.  I"m not sure what that is, so say around 12 years of age.  So there comes a time that infant will be old enough to make a choice for Christ are not.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,097
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Lost and Found

Welcome to Worthy,I see this Thread was started back in January but you did come back & respond a couple of times up until last month,,,,here it is June & I am wondering ho w you are doing? My HOPE is in Christ that you are in Relationship with Him & doing well,,,,

Sin,hmmm   it is the battle between flesh & Spirit & the more we can walk in Spirit & in Truth with the Heart & Mind of Jesus,,,the less of a battle it becomes....ahhh,but how?By making God FIRST in your life,,,,,,& that comes by building your personal Relationship with Him,,,the same way you can get to know me by these words I write ,you get to know the Lord by His Written Words,,,only difference is the Bible is the LIVING WORD,the Word is Jesus & God Will Reveal Himself to anyone Who earnestly seeks Him,,,,,,

Picture yourself an empty glass,fill the glass with Gods Word,,,,,,leave no room for anything else when you pour out some of that sweet nectar of Gods Word,,,,,Don't leave a glass on the counter sitting,it will evaporate,,,,,,,pray,talk to God,meditate on His Word & renew your mind with thoughts of everything you take in from that Precious WORD,,,,,,,,,,to God be the Glory,    With love--in Christ,Kwik