• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

5 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

I find Sabbath rather puzzling, its suppose to be about resting, "And it happened that He was passing through the grain fields on the Sabbath, and His disciples began to make their way along while picking the heads of grain. The Pharisees were saying to Him, “Look, why are they doing what is not lawful on the Sabbath?” And He said to them, Have you never read what David did when he was in need and he and his companions became hungry; how he entered the house of God in the time of Abiathar the high priest, and ate the consecrated bread, which is not lawful for anyone to eat except the priests, and he also gave it to those who were with him?” Jesus said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath," (Mark 2:23-27), and "For the Son of Man is lord of the Sabbath.” (Matthew 12:8), "Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested, from all the work of creating that he had done," (Genesis 2:3) and "For all who have entered into God's rest have rested from their labors, just as God did after creating the world." (Hebrews 4:10). How is getting up early in morning, dressing up, and going to a service on Sunday resting? For did not Jesus say His yoke is easy, "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light," (Matthew 11:28-30), and "They crush people with unbearable religious demands and never lift a finger to ease the burden." (Matthew 23:4).

My question is, if we are to keep Sabbath day holy, how is getting up in morning, dressing up, and going to a service resting and keeping the Sabbath holy?

Fair question.  My wife and I solve this problem but not getting up early, by not dressing up to run out somewhere. No, we have fellowship with a few friends or sometimes just ourselves here in our living room.   and we enjoy the Lord through praise, prayer, and the reading of scripture. We do all at our own pace, no one rushing us to do anything. Like you said, we are RESTING in the Lord. 

The key for us is not our worship, although we want to worship the Lord through prayer, praise, and the word, no, the key is resting from doing whatever is normal work, just like God rested on the seventh day. 

Now that I've retired this year, work is now things like yard work.  I don't do that on Sabbath, but rather I do that on any other day. My wife doesn't do household chores on Sabbath, like laundry, vacuuming, etc.  In Fact, we usually go out to eat dinner too, but that is not necessary.  Honestly, we feel so rejuvenated with that complete day of rest, no work. 

But that is us.  We came to that decision on our own. We know most Christians do not feel the 4th commandment is applicable today for the church.  We don't feel that way.  But again, that is us. You do what you have to do. 

Spock

Edited by Spock

11 hours ago, other one said:

That has nothing to do with the new covenant with Jesus.  If I wanted to be part of the old covenant I would be in agreement with you, but that covenant only covers the physical world and has nothing to do with the spiritual world, salvation or where we will spend eternity.

Hey OO, do you agree that the Sabbath Day will be honored in the Millenium Kimgdom? If so, why do you think?  To what extent will it be honored? Just Israel or the nations too? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,587
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

with Sabbath comes 613 laws and rabbis to interpret them and ways around them to be devised.

"Sabbath Day's Walk

SABBATH DAY’S WALK. Used only in Acts.1.12 (kjv “sabbath day’s journey”), where it designates the distance between Mount Olivet and Jerusalem. A Sabbath day’s walk was a journey of limited extent that the scribes thought a Jew might travel on the Sabbath without breaking the law. Such a journey was 2,000 cubits (3,000 ft.-938 m.) from one’s house, a distance derived from the statement found in Josh.3.4 that there was to be that much distance between the ark and the people on their march. The rabbis, however, devised a way of increasing this distance without infringing the law by depositing some food at the 2,000-cubit limit before the Sabbath, and declaring that spot a temporary residence."

-credit to Biblicalwalk.org

When one says; "I observe Sabbath(s)", do they, really? Do they make sure to have a friend at a home within 3000 feet of their own home so that they might place one of their own cups there and get another 3000 feet of traveling space for the Sabbath?

Just what does  comes with the Sabbath(s) experience?

Edited by Neighbor

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, Spock said:

Hey OO, do you agree that the Sabbath Day will be honored in the Millenium Kimgdom? If so, why do you think?  To what extent will it be honored? Just Israel or the nations too? 

Not as the 4th commandment.   The 1000 tears itself is a Sabbath.  If we are in the time flow I believe we are in, we have had 6 thousand years of history and the 7th will be a rest being lead by the Creator himself.. will we be put back under the law in the 1000 years,I certainly hope not. What would be the purpose of all the animal sacrifice.

With the Creator among us, why would we need a day to focus on him when he is present daily.

I haven't really scripturally looked into it, but one would really need to read the whole Bible again to sort through it all and I don't have the time to do that right now. I'm sure Jesus will let me know when he gets here.   But as for the time between now and when the 1000 years starts, I'll go along with Paul that it is OK but not manditory,

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  260
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

16 hours ago, other one said:

Actually Paul says that it is OK to follow the days and the sabbath, but it is not ok to tell others they have to.

Wrong one to quote. I did not ever say that he did so.

22 minutes ago, Happinessity said:

Wrong one to quote. I did not ever say that he did so.

You are right, I'm sorry...   

4 hours ago, other one said:

Not as the 4th commandment.   The 1000 tears itself is a Sabbath.  If we are in the time flow I believe we are in, we have had 6 thousand years of history and the 7th will be a rest being lead by the Creator himself.. will we be put back under the law in the 1000 years,I certainly hope not. What would be the purpose of all the animal sacrifice.

With the Creator among us, why would we need a day to focus on him when he is present daily.

I haven't really scripturally looked into it, but one would really need to read the whole Bible again to sort through it all and I don't have the time to do that right now. I'm sure Jesus will let me know when he gets here.   But as for the time between now and when the 1000 years starts, I'll go along with Paul that it is OK but not manditory,

I have looked into it, and the answer is emphatically- yes, the Sabbath day will be properly upheld, probably just like it is now upheld in Israel today.  The OT prophets are very clear about that. Israel today pretty much shut down completely....no work! Just rest, enjoy the Lord, party down with Jesus time!  For he is worthy to be praised! 

So brother, you might as well start now and get used to RESTING on the Sabbath Day......not some pagan day called Sun- day!  Haha

12 minutes ago, Spock said:

I have looked into it, and the answer is emphatically- yes, the Sabbath day will be properly upheld, probably just like it is now upheld in Israel today.  The OT prophets are very clear about that. Israel today pretty much shut down completely....no work! Just rest, enjoy the Lord, party down with Jesus time!  For he is worthy to be praised! 

So brother, you might as well start now and get used to RESTING on the Sabbath Day......not some pagan day called Sun- day!  Haha

I'm 70 years old, I rest every day....  and I worship and praise and have a relationship with him every day......  shame on you if you don't.

Before I retired he went to work with me every day of the week....  and he has fixed more  Xerox printers that I couldn't than you would care to shake a stick at.

Jesus doesn't want you one day a week.  It's all or nothing with him.

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  281
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

AS you said the rabbi's had added 613 laws they were rabbiticle laws, (not Gods laws), Jesus came to teach & correct the burden that had been placed on the people that didn't mean to negate the law in its true form. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

1 hour ago, Riccardo said:

AS you said the rabbi's had added 613 laws they were rabbiticle laws, (not Gods laws), Jesus came to teach & correct the burden that had been placed on the people that didn't mean to negate the law in its true form. 

Well said Riccardo. Jesus even took Ten Commandments, the Law, and Prophets and simplified it, "Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’This is the first and greatest commandment. The second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’The entire law of Moses and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22:36-40). The Rabbis had forgotten the purpose of the Law, which was to know God and people, you can't love someone without respecting them (I.e. do not murder, do not steal from them), you may love an enemy, but you cannot have intimacy in love without respect and care, which the Law shows, "have no other gods before me," is the same as "I thee wed, forsaking all others for you." The purpose of Law was to teach people ways to grow more intimate in relationship with God, don't have other gods being an example, but the law was then turned into a god, it became keep this law and keep this law, without realizing what the whole purpose of law was for, and so they became rules, rather than tools and a path of respect to know God and others more fully and in safety.