IGNORED

Does A Christian Need To Speak/Pray in Tongues To Filled and Empowed With The Holy Spirit

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

A person can be full / filled with the Holy Spirit when he prays or speaks in his her own native tongue i.e. Speaking in tongues is not a fool proof indication the spirit is Holy 

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

On 3/29/2016 at 1:13 PM, Teditis said:

I don't think that we need to speak in "tongues" to prove that we're abiding in Christ... to ourselves or others.

Still, I think that if one speaks in tongues it can be edifying for either the unbeliever or one's self... perhaps to a

congregation where there's an interpreter. There are several types of tongues mentioned in Scripture and it's

important to understand which is being used so that the context is understood. Paul tells us clearly how this

gift is to be used and when not to be used... I don't think that he would've given these instructions if they weren't

needed to avoid confusion.

Agreed.  We are filled with the Holy Spirit right at the time we are saved.   When we continue to abide in the Spirit people will know us by our fruits.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1976

this doesn't mention speaking in tongues: 

And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession — to the praise of his glory.
(Ephesians 1:13-14)

and this specifically implies that not all exhibit that part of the gift: 

Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 
(1 Corinthians 12:30)

((obviously rhetorical questions to which the answer is "no!"))

seems clear enough :)
but you know how humans are ... *sigh*
even with the scripture in no uncertain terms saying some things 3 and 4 and a dozen times, some will still make doctrines and entire denominations based on contradicting the pure word. such should be avoided. they only ruin whoever listens to them. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Salvation comes by trusting in the uncreated Creator, the Self Existent One, just as Jesus name suggests.

God said...let there be light and there was light.

God must say...let ______ be saved and all that needs to happen in order for salvation will happen....period.

When will God say?  When we call upon his name for salvation because we believe.

I am saved.

I am being saved.

I will be saved.

The Word of God declared it to be so and no one can take me out of His hand.

Tongues?  Nah...trivial matter.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Prayerful,,,,

I thought I might ask what prompted you to ask this question?I know you got your answer but still I was wondering "why?" I think iut is safe to say that you did Understand the Word of God & that not "everyone" would have the gift of toingues and I don't believe your confusion came about from the Scriptures but most likely from "someone""Is that correct?

The reason I ask is because I saw someones reply suggesting denominations that hold fast to the "speaking in tongues" is the "evidence" of baptism(Holy Spirit indwelling),,,,,,,,,,should be avoided............

I wanted to mention,hopefully to put you at ease..........For many years I attended a "Holiness Pentacostal" church,most congregants babble constantly & is anyone does not they do believe there is no "evidence",,,,,,,.I'm not going toi comment on what anyone else is doing,that is between them & God and none of my business,,,,,,,,,,I still visit this church & some of my dearest Sisters are Pentacostal,,,,,,,they don't force their doctrine on me & I don't force mine on them,,,,,,it is NOT a Salvational issue,though they may even think it is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we are accountable for ourselves & for what WE DO and for OUR Salvation,,,,,,,,,these beautiful people are some of the most wonderful people I know,they know our Savior as I do,they do not have to be avoided,,,,,,,,I love to hear the Gospel there & the Praise & Worship is FANTASTIC!!!!!!

All we ever need is Jesus,the Grace of God,Gods Blessed Assurance & hearing the Word of God to firmly establish us in it,giving us Boldness & Confidence in what we receive (Wisdom & Understanding) by the Power of the Holy Spirit,,having a personal & intimate Relationship with our Lord & Savior,,,,,,,,,,,,we do not seek the approval of men but of GOD ALONE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Anyway,I just wanted to let you know that if this all came about because of "others",perhaps where you attend church service and that is what troubled you,,,,,,,don't ever let anyone tell you where to go or where not to go because of the little stuff,,,,IF,you are getting a great dose of the Gospel,good in all areas except one difference of opinion   ,such as= (Speak in tongues/not speak in tongues,),,,,,,,don't let it be a stumbling block or an issue,receive what God has FOR YOU & follow His lead & direction

Personally,I sometimes view it as "mass hysteria",,,,,,,,,,Are these folks Saved,probably     Does it interfere with my personal relationship with my Lord,no    Can I be swayed to believe anything contrary to Gods Word,no     Do they conduct themselves decently & orderly,yes     Have I asked for the Spirit's discernment,yes      Did God show me what I need to see,yes     See? No Problem,,,,,,        Hope this also helped,just my 2 cents        To God be the Glory                With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,191
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

If the tongues were Biblically followed there would be no issue within The Church... Love, Steven

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

2 hours ago, enoob57 said:

If the tongues were Biblically followed there would be no issue within The Church... Love, Steven

Indeed.  It would be fantastic for Christians to supernaturally present the Gospel and Bible truth to those whose language was totally unfamiliar. Missionaries would not spend years learning foreign languages.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

4 hours ago, enoob57 said:

I agree bro. I do not believe in tongues for today.

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39

21 hours ago, enoob57 said:

Amen!

Therefore the biggest gift:

1 Cor. 13:1

1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a ringing gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have absolute faith so as to move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.…

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39

On 3/31/2016 at 1:13 PM, John1:18 said:

A person can be full / filled with the Holy Spirit when he prays or speaks in his her own native tongue i.e. Speaking in tongues is not a fool proof indication the spirit is Holy 

So true~not every tongue is of God~~