• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

There is a saying, "respect is earned"

Is that biblically supported or disproven?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,716
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

p.s.-Allow me please to add a preamble to my response -IMO, In my opinion. That said here is my thought:

Respect is an attribute gained in the eye's of another, and demanded by most humans of other humans.

But is it supported by the Bible? Guess it depends upon what  reads to the beholder as showing respect.

If Jesus washes the feet of the apostles and the apostles  object to His humbling himself, who is showing respect to whom, and to what purpose?

Does humility rise above respect? In man I think it does.

Seems to me Jesus the source of all creation humbled himself as God to become man the man-God, in order to pay the price of my sin as a sheep of His flock given Him by His Father. Me a most arrogant non-respecting, unknowing, sheep. Yet He also demands the respect that Creator ( For Jesus is Creator ) is entitled;  entitled to without having to earn.

Respect is demanded, rather than earned, by authority starting with the supreme authority, from which all other authority  also demanding it's share of respect gains it's credence.

God demands authority, He does not need earn it, governments are under God. He, God, demands we honor the "kings" over us.

We are even to go that step further, when demands of authority are placed upon us, as the example of the right of  a Roman soldier to demand a citizen to carry his load to a limit of one mile, the saint in Christ Jesus is to go two miles. We are to use that example as our guide in showing humility and respect to the whole system of order, with the express idea that we are taking our order from God. We  respect God and therefore we respect the order that he has placed and set us into. We do so  for the purpose of respecting God and for gaining in our testimony of Jesus as Lord God and savior.

By following the order of God we heap coals in the face of the agents of Satan and rfute his efforts in accusing us before God.

Least that's the way I see it. But I'll respect other's views on the matter.:)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

9 hours ago, hmbld said:

There is a saying, "respect is earned"

Is that biblically supported or disproven?

The Bible enjoins respect to certain people simply because of the positions they occupy. It also enjoins Christians to respect other Christians simply because they are in Christ.  Furthermore, the Bible enjoins respect to all simply because they are created in the image of God.  The issue of "earning" respect is totally secular.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

That particular saying is not in the Bible but the concept of it? Let's take the word RESPECT. What does it mean to the Christian? If a Christian is to respect everyone that means that Hitler should have been respected?

Do you respect everyone? Why or why not?

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,420
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I don't believe the created should look for elevation....

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

If a Christian is to respect everyone that means that Hitler should have been respected?

Yes, the Christian is to respect everyone, which does not mean condone evil.  Those are two separate issues.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

We are told to give honor to whom honor is due. Rom. 13:7  We area also told to owe no man anything but for the debt of love.  Rom. 13:8   Jesus has set an example of humbling himself in Phil. 2:8

Php 2:3  Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.  Php 2:4  Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.  Php 2:5  Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus,  Php 2:6  who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,  Php 2:7  but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.  Php 2:8  And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.

• Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

That particular saying is not in the Bible but the concept of it? Let's take the word RESPECT. What does it mean to the Christian? If a Christian is to respect everyone that means that Hitler should have been respected?

Do you respect everyone? Why or why not?

Do you respect everybody? Why or why not?

17 Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor. 1 Peter 2:17

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

19 minutes ago, angels4u said:

Do you respect everybody? Why or why not?

17 Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor. 1 Peter 2:17

I look at fruit of the Holy Spirit. I look at Character, integrity, morals and values. I can not respect someone who has just called me every bad word in the book, been vindictive, angry, and generally unkind. There are ways to deal with toxic people but respecting them?????? Be kind to them back and pray for them? Possibly.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.37

Right.  

I think all through SCRIPTURE we see that YHWH is NO RESPECTER of persons.  

Y'SHUA did not respect anyone,   (using current english understanding of "respect")..

But Y'SHUA did show us what to do for those who curse us, who hurt us, and who steal from us.

(just the opposite of what the world says to do)