• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

4 hours ago, HisFirst said:

What are your thoughts on attending a church where you are clearly the youngest adult in your church with the next youngest being at least 15 years older than yourself?

Well there's nothing to stop you from bringing a dozen younger guests with you to the next meeting, and then having them settle down with you in that church.  In fact, that would encourage everyone.

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  3

3 minutes ago, Jewels7 said:

Sounds cozy. :) Did you feel at home in the church your first visit? That's a great clue for me. If I feel as if I've just arrived in a place I know. Even when it is a first visit. Just that comfy embrace hard to describe otherwise feeling. 

Yes, it was very welcoming and "homey", I think because of the older age group.

Just now, Ezra said:

Well there's nothing to stop you from bringing a dozen younger guests with you to the next meeting, and then having them settle down with you in that church.  In fact, that would encourage everyone.

Hmm, how young are you talking Ez?

1 minute ago, Neighbor said:

"Our" church is packed too, the sanctuary is filled. In there it looks like on average to be a group of us older people, because we have another two hundred of us in other buildings, many  teaching younger people in children's programs, high school programs, careers classes, and families classes. It takesa large number of us to teach and assist, most are family raising age or young adults of college age.

But to the other part of your question; of course you would be more than welcomed at our local body  of Christ, by all members and attendees regardless of age.  Can't imagine it isn't the same where you are trying to see if you are being led there by the Holy Spirit.

I felt very welcomed and a funny thing happened - an Elder opened up the service and asked everyone to move around the room, greeting one another. Of course I was the new kid on the block, but all were lovely and when I approached the eldest person there, a very old lady who remained in her seat (due to her age), we introduced ourselves to each other and immediately my eyes filled with tears and I had the warmest of feelings toward her. I'm pretty sure she would've noticed the tears.

Anyway, I want to speak with her tomorrow if I get the chance. I felt drawn to her.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

2 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Well sometimes when you get to know people even if they are older then you, you might find that they may have some things in common with you. It just take time to get to know people sometimes. 

That's true.  I have older friends and younger ones too.  Having things in common often doesn't have anything to do with age.

19 minutes ago, Davida said:

I can relate to your dilemma HisFirst.. It is the similar in my Church lots of older folks and some young couples but really no one in the middle-I wonder why this is? I've just gotten used to it. We will be moving soon so I will have to look for another Bible believing Church & start all over, hopefully I'll find true fellowship & a good active Biblical Church.  

Yes, its unsettling leaving a home church.

My home church a few years ago changed leadership and it went in another direction.

I've been in Church limbo for a bit since then.

5 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Hmm, how young are you talking Ez?

I would expect those in your own age group initially, but that could lead to other ages later on.

2 hours ago, Ezra said:

I would expect those in your own age group initially, but that could lead to other ages later on.

Well, the people I know in my own age group wouldn't go. Most of them are atheist or agnostic and have partners or are married.

Edited by HisFirst

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,444
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

I have been in that exact situation before.  I liked the environment, the service and their statement of faith.  I stayed there for six years and was part of the group that interviewed the hiring of the pastor.  Yes, they did not have a full time pastor, was mostly older folks, with a few very young ones and a family that was  committed, who had three teenage kids that served with  vigor and compassion.    Today, most young adults are just not in the church, at least in my city, a dilemma many churches are facing that is causing compromises to attract teenagers and for them to stay.   

Many parents are worried about their children future marriage and where they would find their future spouse.   Lots of teenagers are attracted to  meeting place of worship where mostly young adults attend and to seek out future  wives and husbands .  This is a trend that has the church in a limbo.  

Your main purpose for attending church has to be in your heart before you leave home, and that is to worship God. Let the rest follow as  you attend and you make decisions as you are lead.

Edited by warrior12

4 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Well, the people I know in my own age group wouldn't go. Most of them are atheist or agnostic and have partners or are married.

As Scripture says " And the lord said unto the servant, ‘Go out into the highways and hedges and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. "