IGNORED

THE MODESTY DEBATE

Guest shiloh357
14 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

It's 91 degrees F and 98% humidity. We call it Florida. The only person I know that dresses ( Suit and tie ) is pastor on Sunday only, and then only so that he does not distract the Northerners that are busy saying about most everything, "well that 's not the way we did it up North!", from the word of God and his exposition of it.

The rest  of us some several hundred are attired modestly in light weight clothing. Myself I dress down for I am likely to have to go on a roof top and tend and errant air conditioner. It gets to an easy 140 degrees up there. No place for extreme modesty, nor for ties  and long sleeves  to tangle in equipment for that matter.

But some disapprove, well one anyway. I had a lady just yesterday tell me as I got down from a lift where we had installers working on new sanctuary lighting that I need to buy new clothes, that I represent the church and should be dressed up. I didn't tell her what I thought- that " you can put a tie  and coat on a maintenance guy, but all you  end up with is a maintenance guy wearing a tie and coat."

I found her sincere commentary to be  rather hilarious. Seemed to me she must be  a bit of a respecter of persons.

I found  one of the pastors who was in the church and asked him if it was appropriate for me to wear t shirt and shorts, like he was wearing. He confirmed that it was. I felt better about myself. :D

Modesty,  excessive concern about it only leads to individuals eventually wanting women confined to their houses, and to maintenance guys  wearing suits and ties. Gets deeply  judgemental and silly at some point.

It's not about wearing T-shirts and blue jeans.    It's about some Christian women who choose to wear revealing clothing to church, either stuff that is too tight and/or shows an inordinate amount of their assets.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

What are we all arguing about? I think that each of us as Christians are in agreement that we should dress modestly. But this topic has turn into  nit picking with endless debate on what is and what is not consider modest; and that is something that simply has no end. Okay that was my 2 cents worth for the day. Carry on. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,148
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

6 hours ago, LadyKay said:

What are we all arguing about? I think that each of us as Christians are in agreement that we should dress modestly. But this topic has turn into  nit picking with endless debate on what is and what is not consider modest; and that is something that simply has no end. Okay that was my 2 cents worth for the day. Carry on. 

And the point some of us are making is just that... who gets to pick the standards that everyone has to fallow.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

2 minutes ago, other one said:

And the point some of us are making is just that... who gets to pick the standards that everyone has to fallow.

You mother. You should listen to your mother. If she says your not going out of this house like that then you should listen.

Guest shiloh357
7 hours ago, LadyKay said:

The problem is that the original topic was about appropriate dress for a church environment.  It was turned into a cultural argument, though.  And suddenly, how we view modesty is supposed to be ruled by culture and not the Bible.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,148
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 minute ago, LadyKay said:

You mother. You should listen to your mother. If she says your not going out of this house like that then you should listen.

My mother and her mother would disagree.  I would disagree with my wife.  Actually my mom was rather liberal with my sister and her compared to some of the things I'm reading here. People here seem to want to set standards for everyone.

Society standards seem to change periodically.  The 20s were much more liberal than the 50s and things are or have moved back to the 20s. 

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  260
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

18 hours ago, ricky said:

It is refreshing that a thread like this hasn't turned into a "if women wear pants instead of a skirt the are going to hell" thread. 

Amen. When I was in junior high I transferred to a Christian school that taught that very thing. Not pants so much but if the pants had a front zipper they were considered like unto that of a man's attire and as such were forbidden in school entirely. Even the pull on pants with no zipper during school hours were forbidden to girls. We had to wear skirts below our knees or we were sent home to change. 

I felt sorry for the pastor and principle who had no idea when the scripture said a woman should not dress as a man that men in that period wore what looked like a dress. Bringing in a picture to educate them would have resulted in a paddling. Corporal punishment was in practice too. The offense had I done that? Intentional disobedience of the pastors rule concerning girls attire. 

18 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I have heard men say that a woman in a pair of slacks and a turtle neck can be sexy.

0117f03062e5cde9d4922af9afa44ebf.jpg

That's a gorgeous outfit. I don't see anything wrong with finding someone of the same sex to be pretty. Nor of the opposite sex as being handsome. Lust is the issue and that is something that I believe goes further than admiring God's creation. 

18 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

Yes, it's modest but also impractical.  I'd be afraid I would drown in that thing. 

They're actually very silky and comfortable in the water. I wear a burkini when I go to the beach. There are different styles so they don't all look like the one pictured in this discussion.  The hood is a perfect cover for the swim hat I wear too so as to avoid ear infections. Really modest, very comfortable. 

I wear Abaya's also and while not a traditional Hijab that wraps around the head and exposes only the face. Instead, I wear the scarf that is pinned to my hair using the frame piece of the Hijab. This way the scarf falls down my back from mid-scalp . I like to dress like that. This doesn't mean I don't have jeans in my dresser but I do enjoy the comfort of the Abaya. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,600
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

..."everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart"...

Can't dance one's way around that one.

So what to do?

------------------------

Rather than say, Well one look is okay,  it is the second one that is a sin; or  say, put the women away that we may not sin,- why not admit the sin?

I sin against God on the first look if I have lustful intent. I do not sin on the third look if I do not have lustful intent. I may have lustful intent upon the first look of a modestly  attired women one lacking any perfumes  or makeup. I may be turned away from a woman with much  of all of those things. Yet, in every case if I have lustful intent, it is I that  have sinned not the woman.

Do I forfeit my salvation, have the Holy Spirit leave me, am I lost and condemned for eternity to come? I think I am regardless if I have not submitted my salvation to the redemptive sacrifice already made for me personally at the cross where Jesus bleed and suffered all my sin's price, where He paid already for it all in full. and I think I am not if I have  received the call  by the Holy Spirit  been turned about from my sin against God, and accepted that Jesus is God and is my personal savior, having already paid the full price to redeem me  from the consequence of my sin including lustfully looking.

So do I lust all the more that  the mercy and grace  if Jesus' sacrifice may  be greater glorified? - "God forbid"!

Instead, may I acknowledge my sin, know  the mercy of God, and leave my sister unscathed from my blaming her for my sin. May I not add the sin  of  the first Adam and lamely say;  the woman she is the cause, she made me do it.

Further if I am about the work my Lord has set for me, I am unlikely to be in the situation where I will commit the sin of lust. Just as King David, if he had been  a warring as commanded by God, instead of sending another, would have not been lusting. The point there is- be about the business of God; do all that  is to be done to his glory in Christ Jesus.

Edited by Neighbor

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,600
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

16 hours ago, Happinessity said:

Amen. When I was in junior high I transferred to a Christian school that taught that very thing. Not pants so much but if the pants had a front zipper they were considered like unto that of a man's attire and as such were forbidden in school entirely. Even the pull on pants with no zipper during school hours were forbidden to girls. We had to wear skirts below our knees or we were sent home to change. 

I felt sorry for the pastor and principle who had no idea when the scripture said a woman should not dress as a man that men in that period wore what looked like a dress. Bringing in a picture to educate them would have resulted in a paddling. Corporal punishment was in practice too. The offense had I done that? Intentional disobedience of the pastors rule concerning girls attire. 

That's a gorgeous outfit. I don't see anything wrong with finding someone of the same sex to be pretty. Nor of the opposite sex as being handsome. Lust is the issue and that is something that I believe goes further than admiring God's creation. 

They're actually very silky and comfortable in the water. I wear a burkini when I go to the beach. There are different styles so they don't all look like the one pictured in this discussion.  The hood is a perfect cover for the swim hat I wear too so as to avoid ear infections. Really modest, very comfortable. 

I wear Abaya's also and while not a traditional Hijab that wraps around the head and exposes only the face. Instead, I wear the scarf that is pinned to my hair using the frame piece of the Hijab. This way the scarf falls down my back from mid-scalp . I like to dress like that. This doesn't mean I don't have jeans in my dresser but I do enjoy the comfort of the Abaya. 

Ha! Oh my, whoa! scarry - Sorry but:  I'd probably stare, glare, and wonder  more at such an odd attire, that I might spend time to the point of lust because of it. -If I weren't afraid  there might be a jihadist's bomb hidden under it. Be my own fault or sin of course, but that is what I might think.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0

17 hours ago, Happinessity said:

I would like to wear that myself but the problem with that is, Arabic type clothing is so radically different than Western styles that it naturally ATTRACTS stares from others rather than deflects from them. Thereby there goes modesty if you like to remain invisible