LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

If anyone knows anything about autos maybe you can help.  The battery in my Jeep is only a year old. Went to start it and nothing. No start, no lights, just nothing. Nothing was left on and it was acting fine before. Battery cables are tight and the alternator belt is good.  Right now I am working out how is the best way to get to to the repair shop. :noidea:

Guest Teditis

It does sound like a dead battery... and if so you might be able to ask the tow truck driver to give you a "jump-start"

which would be cheaper than a long tow job. Then you drive to your mechanic and ask them to check the battery...

change if necessary. Since it's only a year old there might be something wrong with your alternator's ability to keep

the battery charged so have them check it too. I just pray that you have a mechanic that you can trust, as those are things

that the less scrupulous ones rip people off for. A tow/jump-start + new battery + new alternator= $$. 

Praying...

19 minutes ago, Teditis said:

It does sound like a dead battery... and if so you might be able to ask the tow truck driver to give you a "jump-start"

which would be cheaper than a long tow job. Then you drive to your mechanic and ask them to check the battery...

change if necessary. Since it's only a year old there might be something wrong with your alternator's ability to keep

the battery charged so have them check it too. I just pray that you have a mechanic that you can trust, as those are things

that the less scrupulous ones rip people off for. A tow/jump-start + new battery + new alternator= $$. 

Praying...

Thank you for your input. The repair shop is own by my husband's uncle. He seems willing to do stuff and all I have to do is pay for the parts. Though I do need to wait till he takes care of his paying customers first. That seems only right to me so I'm good with that. I have AAA which should cover the tow or jump. Prayer is always welcome as I become very stressed out over auto issues. 

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

No Crank, No Start, No lights

This situation is pretty straightforward to diagnose, and it's an even stronger indication that your battery is at fault. Your battery powers all the accessories and lights in your car, especially when the alternator is not running. So if your car just seems to be completely void of all signs of life, then your battery is the first thing you should be looking at.

And be aware that in this situation, where your vehicle doesn't even have the juice to work the lights or turn over the engine, it could be a combination problem involving your alternator was well.

If the car won’t crank or start but the headlights do work, that may indicate some more interesting problem, maybe the starter or a mechanical problem in the engine.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

The Alternator

A dead battery is the first sign that something might be wrong with the alternator. If your battery is good, and your alternator isn’t working, the battery will still lose its charge because the alternator isn’t keeping it charged. So, you’ll want to check for the below signs to determine if it’s just the battery or if it’s the alternator.

Signs the Alternator has Failed:

• You can often hear a growling sound right before your alternator goes out.
  • The smell of burning rubber or hot wires can come from your alternator overheating.
  • You notice that your headlights or your dash lights flicker or get extra dim or bright. Or that your gauges are behaving strangely.
  • If you jump start your car and it will start, but the engine dies right after the jump then it is most likely the alternator. (Note: Do not try to test the alternator by removing the negative battery cable with the engine running. This could damage your car or truck’s electrical systems).

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

55 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Thank you for your input. The repair shop is own by my husband's uncle. He seems willing to do stuff and all I have to do is pay for the parts. Though I do need to wait till he takes care of his paying customers first. That seems only right to me so I'm good with that. I have AAA which should cover the tow or jump. Prayer is always welcome as I become very stressed out over auto issues. 

We ALL stress over stuff like that, LK, and may the Lord bless your husband's uncle for giving you a price break.  I will pray you get your Jeep fixed ASAP.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/24/1990

Be resurrected in Jesus name! Lol

Got the jeep on a battery charger. Got lights to come on but won't start after 10 minute charge. Going to let it charge for hr. see what happens then. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

32 minutes ago, Absolem said:

Be resurrected in Jesus name! Lol

You have no idea how many times I have laid hands on and prayed for our cars.  God was faithful to send me help if if it didn't start.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,190
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

26 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Got the jeep on a battery charger. Got lights to come on but won't start after 10 minute charge. Going to let it charge for hr. see what happens then. 

That is normal for a totally dead battery.  

Real problem is why it went down in the first place.      when did you drive it last?