• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

8 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

The police in our area discourage giving money  to pan handlers.  We have them on every street corner it seems.  They know how to game the system.  They are not as homeless as you think.   Some of them are homeless by choice because they are sex offenders and don't want to have disclose it when they apply for a job or an apartment.

They can make upwards of $100 day in donations and it is all tax free.    The police in our area discourage giving to pan handlers because it helps many of them stay off of the sex offender registry.

If they are truly needy there are lots of places for them to go, at least in my city.

I do like Jade's idea of giving them necessities instead of money.

Take a look sometime at their shoes and their backpack. They are a good quality.

4 hours ago, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

Personally I would change that gift certificate for fast food to a grocery gift card or if you are going the fast food option make sure it is a place that serves relatively healthy fare, like Subway.

You can be creative.But like Lady said if you get them a certificate at a grocery store make it a grocery store that does not sell alcohol.

4 hours ago, LadyKay said:

You don't always know the reason why someone is not working. It is best not to judge. Of cores if I know someone to be a scheming moocher( a I do) That is a different story altogether. Anyway, I always ask God what he wants me to do when I see someone holding a "in need" sign in a parking lot somewhere. If God tells me to help then I help. If not, I move on. Maybe God is testing me?  I am more likely to stop for a women then I am a man.  And if they have children I find it hard to walk away from that. It is just how I am. If they are scheming that is on them. Something they will have to explain when they stand before God.  I think the care box is a good ideal. Anyway that is my take on the matter. 

Many of them take their children along just because like you people are more sympathetic and they get more money.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

I give money. I think if there hungry they can get what they prefer. It's not for me to judge who is a criminal. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  726
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/30/1974

Some men from our church were out one day doing something (I don't remember what).  Anyhow there was a guy on the street corner with I sign that said anything helps.  So one of the guys bought a hamburger and took to him.  The guy took it kinda begrudgingly.  They finished whatever they were working on and noticed the guy was gone.  The fellow that bought him the hamburger walked over where the guy was sitting and there was more than just his hamburger sitting in the bushes behind where the guy was sitting.  

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,567
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

23 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

I give money. I think if there hungry they can get what they prefer. It's not for me to judge who is a criminal. 

You're the reason they are successful at their trade.

But you are obviously a kind soul so you will obey your heart and give as your heart leads.

Personally, I wish no one would find it a good thing to do, and instead will work with  and contribute to places like Everybody's Tabernacle  for such places work at rehabilitating troubled individuals in dire need. They qualify those they help. After first feeding and housing them they make them learn better habits and help them gain useful purpose in their life.

See an article about them at http://www.tbnweekly.com/pinellas_county/content_articles/032415_pco-03.txt

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

On 10/9/2017 at 9:26 PM, Yowm said:

Then others say, just give them money if they ask, it’s between them and God what they do with it.

Matthew 5:42 
[42] Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.

I was a homeless drug addict at one point, and I learned a lot through it.

I once listened to a 45 minute lecture in the shelter one night as a guy told us how to "fly a sign" on a corner to get money. He was good at what he did. He was homeless like the rest of us he never lacked for money he got from doing the sign and was one of the more generous folks I've known in a long time. Wasn't a believer at the time either.

One of many things I learned is that many (not all) will spend money given to them on booze and drugs. Its called "enabling the behavior" in recovery circles because a person giving money to an addict could potentially be giving him/her the money to by what might be their next - or their last fix (if they should die from an overdose.) That's something I will not be a part of. I usually keep some gift certificates for fast food or grocery stores on me for that sort of thing, and never give cash to people on the street. I will not finance someone's drug or booze habit, but I will have lunch with 'em and share Christ if I have time time and the opportunity.

Easy way to tell if someone is "hungry" for more drugs or booze: Those will usually be the aggressive get up in your face types. You don't have the energy for that if you're really hungry. I know I didn't. If you haven't eaten in a few days, you're in survival mode, and any kind of food is going to be welcome whether its McDonald's, Subway, or the "organic, free range" place up the street.

Just now, Yowm said:

I was a drug addict also and later worked in a men’s shelter for a number of years in Gardena, Ca. But my point about ‘it is between them and God’ no one seems to be addressing. Maybe I am saying, ‘they are adults treat them like adults and don’t nanny them...it is their responsibility what they do with the money.

Sorry, but we're going to have to disagree on that. I don't give money to folks on the street. Period. There's other ways to help without enabling addictive behavior, and maybe that person will have one more chance to hear the gospel and repent rather than die of an overdose. 

7 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Again, what of the those that say, ‘I am told by the Lord to give, what they do with it is between them and God.’?

(personally I have done both ways).

I'm not going to debate the issue, Yowm. This is the conviction I've come to. Yours is different, and that's fine.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

12 hours ago, Davida said:

I agree walla299, I won't give money , but will ask them what they need.  Some that I think are pretending to be homeless I don't stop for.

Agreed davida.     I will buy them meals or give them water etc.  But if we give them money and they buy drink, we are partakers of their habit.

Now i do not condmen anyone who gives money .  But this is what i advise.  Do not just give them money.  YOU instead buy their food .

many are under bondage of drink or drug.    IF we love them surely we don't want to see them dead.   Do give , but give them food and water, or clothes and sleeping bags etc.

this is for their welfare, but feeding their habit is to their destruction .