• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,200
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

4 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

Yes i was part of herbert w armstrongs church. And Garner ted Armstrong. I was only 18 when i heard his radio program. 

I was already a born again christian. But i did not really know the bible too well. So i could not dercern the errors he taught. 

I remain with them over ten years. What i learnt was dont make a man over christ. No man has more truth then whats already in the bible.

Remember what John wrote you have no need for anyone to teach you. But the annoted teaches you.

.            Its saying you can understand for yourself. Once your born again you already know enough to move onward in knowledge from scripture. 

I looked to a man as superioer in knowldge in the word. And took it for granted that he was right because he sounded so righteous. 

They said we were the only true church. They said armstrong was Eljah to come. And i used circular reasoning to agree at that time. 

The bible is our only source of truth. In it the holy spirit has raise up letters from the Apostles to point to christ. We have to go by that alone. 

No man has extra understanding of the scriptures then what we can already understand by the holy spirit in us.

Beware of men who say most christians dont get it. Or dont walk with God. They are trying to draw followers. Some are clueless and mean well. 

But they are wrong. Go by the bible only.

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for sharing. Would you like to also share how you came to know the truth and see the errors.

interested,  Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,428
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

While the Bible is the final authority as to the truth and it is to test all things, some men are given gifts to teach and preach the word. There are many gifted writers that I like to read and listen to.   How the word is planted in your heart is a personal between you and the Lord.  There are certainly wolves in sheep clothing and yes ask and pray for discernment to weed the fields of the tares.  It's all about your choice in the matter. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

5 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

Yes i was part of herbert w armstrongs church. And Garner ted Armstrong. I was only 18 when i heard his radio program. 

I was already a born again christian. But i did not really know the bible too well. So i could not dercern the errors he taught. 

I remain with them over ten years. What i learnt was dont make a man over christ. No man has more truth then whats already in the bible.

Remember what John wrote you have no need for anyone to teach you. But the annoted teaches you.

.            Its saying you can understand for yourself. Once your born again you already know enough to move onward in knowledge from scripture. 

I looked to a man as superioer in knowldge in the word. And took it for granted that he was right because he sounded so righteous. 

They said we were the only true church. They said armstrong was Eljah to come. And i used circular reasoning to agree at that time. 

The bible is our only source of truth. In it the holy spirit has raise up letters from the Apostles to point to christ. We have to go by that alone. 

No man has extra understanding of the scriptures then what we can already understand by the holy spirit in us.

Beware of men who say most christians dont get it. Or dont walk with God. They are trying to draw followers. Some are clueless and mean well. 

But they are wrong. Go by the bible only.

Wayne ,they were deceiving , I remember getting their magazine when we were new Christians and it looked always very interested , I forget what they taught wrong ,am I right that there is another person now and it's ok now? I wish I remembered the error in the doctrine,it was a long time ago ... was the magazine called "tomorrow "or something?

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

42 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for sharing. Would you like to also share how you came to know the truth and see the errors.

interested,  Marilyn.

It took time because we were taught if we left the church we were leaving christ. And if you rejected armstrong you were rejecting christ Apostle. And then christ himself. So i was  afraid i would lose salvation.

But over time others pointed out scriptures to me that showed me where i was in error. I learn God was a trinity. Salvation by grace through faith alone. Sabbath was for Isarel. And so many things. Also the worldwide church of God itself turn away from Armstrong and became mainstream. 

Hank the bible answer man had Joe Takach on his show. And they talked of the changes. A lot of people left at that time. God was doing a work to get people away from Armstrong theology.

But i was saved before i was a member.  A lot of people were not saved and were never saved while in that church. 

I could tell they did not have God during those years. While at my boyhood church i could see God there.

And to top it off christ came to me in a dream when i was 18 and told me not to go with this church. In the dream i was in a great hall and everything was white. And i stood before christ and he sat on a high place before me. And he said why are you going with the worldwide church ? He then said i did not send you there. And then said they are not of me.

Then i woke up. I thought about it and came to the idea that maybe satan was tricking me. So i went to this cburch anyway.

God does not want anyone wasting years in a false church. Now i am so agaist false doctrines of men. We have the bible and the gospel. Lets stick with and hold on to it. God bless you.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

4 minutes ago, angels4u said:

Wayne ,they were deceiving , I remember getting their magazine when we were new Christians and it looked always very interested , I forget what they taught wrong ,am I right that there is another person now and it's ok now? I wish I remembered the error in the doctrine,it was a long time ago ... was the magazine called "tomorrow "or something?

Glad you did not keep with it. It was called tomorrows world and also the plain truth. Yes its diffrent now there a good church now. It was a work salvation gospel. They were a lot like the JW. But also like the SD too.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

6 minutes ago, Wayne222 said:

Glad you did not keep with it. It was called tomorrows world and also the plain truth. Yes its diffrent now there a good church now. It was a work salvation gospel. They were a lot like the JW. But also like the SD too.

They made it interested with all the world news in the magazine,what was it what was wrong with their  doctrine? I forgot  what it was.. 

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,020
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,309
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

Years ago I had an aunt who was in it.   But a few years ago I was looking at some websites and came across one called Grace Community or something like that.  To my amazement, they said they used to be the Armstrong cult, but they realized he meant well but he was totally wrong in his teachings!!   I was glad to hear that.  There was a nice sermon on the site which I enjoyed very much.

I do understand that some of the Armstrong people were not happy and continued with the false doctrines.

I remember they wouldn't celebrate Easter, Christmas or holidays, wouldn't eat pork.... basically they went by the law rather than grace.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/08/1950

I have watched the Tomorrow's World and Beyond Today (or tomorrow) people on tv quite a few times and in the early days they used to say something along the lines of "we should all be keeping the feast days taught in the OT." (Don't quote me.  I think that was it but may be wrong.)  They also seem to go with the Saturday Sabbath like the SDAs.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

The magazine was the Plain Truth, the tv show was the world tomorrow. Now 1 of his followers teaches on a show called the Key of David. I got suckered in cause Armstrong gave everything away free. He also preached a lovely message, but it was false. Jesus was supposed to return in his life time. I think when he died his church fell apart. This is why I doubt all doomsday preachers. Look at what happened with Harold Camping last decade. One man in NYC spent his life savings taking out full page ads and paying for billboards announcing the day Christ would return. Other people took their children out of school cause we were supposed to leave soon. Who needed school.

The Bible says Jesus will return but no one knows when. We have to live and plan for old age because the odds are we will all get old. What's important is to obey Jesus. It means to constantly fight against sins and that's not easy but it's necessary. Another dangerous group are the prosperity preachers. Many of us never got what we wanted in this life, but Christianity isn't about this life, it's about the next one. We have to do what's right by God so we make sure we go to heaven. I love the 2nd half of 1 Corinthians ch 3 where Paul is warning us that what we do now will effect us later. He didn't go into great detail probably because he didn't know either. I can see this so clearly because in my life I've seen America turn away from God and it did no good. I remember when we wanted sex outside marriage to be accepted, it was, and we have a mess. Then we wanted legal abortions, we got it, and another mess. We took prayer out of schools, and our kids no longer know what their gender is. It goes on and on. I see in the Bible that God is big on repentance and I think he's giving us time to repent. He's not big on destruction. 

We need to bring morality back and in 50 to 100 yrs the world will be better.

• Thumbs Up 2