IGNORED

Will God be mad if we never use the talents He gave us?

Figure of eighty

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,558
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

Also how many times do have to pray for God to guide me and to lead me and ask what His will for my life is...because I ask but I just get silence...

So I just do what I know to do *shrugs*

7 minutes ago, pinacled said:

Whats wrong with quiet?

Because I don't know what God wants me to do if nothing is said... Do you know what I mean?

• This is Worthy 1

Or maybe there isn't anything for me to do besides reading,praying and going to church...that's the only thing I can take the silence to mean. I really don't know.

Edited by Figure of eighty

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

This confused me. I feel God wants us to be all the same honestly...and that's simply like his son. 

:)   It took me over 30 years to figure it out.  I'm still working on explaining it clearly.

As Christians, we are all new creations in Christ.  There are things that are the same for all of us.  We are adopted as children.  The Holy Spirit dwells in us.  The fruit of the Spirit (see Gal 5:22-23, things such as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness) are meant to become defining characteristics of our lives.  However, we all still retain our individual differences which reflect that God created us each to be unique individuals.  Becoming a Christian is not about losing our God-given uniqueness but rather seeing that uniqueness redeemed and restored into what God intended it to be.  Some aspects of our lives as Christians will be the same as other Christians.  However, some aspects of our lives will reflect the uniqueness God created us with.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,937
  • Content Per Day:  3.06
  • Days Won:  1

On 12/19/2018 at 11:35 AM, Yowm said:

Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed: (Matthew 25:24 KJV)

Imho the above verse is about  how to use "talent" in spreading Gospel.

That means what you can do with the physical talent in your Christian life.

For example if you are a teacher at school, how can you use that to spread Gospel at church ? If you are a painter how you can use it for God at church ?

If you are a doctor how could you help spread Gospel with your job ?

We all have physical talent to make a living, to make money, and how to use that too for God ? Each of us must pray where we could be in service for Jesus ministry. You need to get advice from the shepherd at your church regarding your potential.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,189
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:04 PM, Figure of eighty said:

For example. I'm an artist meaning I illustrate and paint...however I work so much and so hard( going 5o get a second job soon) just to live in 5his society... That I can't draw like I want 5o..

Also since I struggle with anxiety that also keeps me from drawing sometimes...

It bothers me as it's me dream but due to these stressors I find my passion for art waning. I still love it but I don't have the passion I used to. 

Another example is a coworker who's a gifted singer. She has children and also works super hard so she doesn't do much with her talent either...

Do you think God  would be disappointed in us?

I think all things belong to God for His use and you, I, others should not allow our flesh to get in the way of this reality...

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  11,715
  • Content Per Day:  4.59
  • Days Won:  106

On 12/19/2018 at 12:00 PM, Figure of eighty said:

Because I don't know what God wants me to do if nothing is said... Do you know what I mean?

On 12/19/2018 at 12:06 PM, Figure of eighty said:

Or maybe there isn't anything for me to do besides reading,praying and going to church...that's the only thing I can take the silence to mean. I really don't know.

Hi.  It just depends reading the Bible is great that keeps you knowing what to do or least we can forget and the Lord can even lead you to scripture that helps you know what to do.  Praying as well.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

On 12/18/2018 at 11:20 PM, Figure of eighty said:

Oh. I thought it meant literal talent.

It could.

Jesus used parables to speak of spiritual things . Mat 13:10  Then the disciples came and asked Jesus, "Why do you speak to people in parables?" Mat 13:11  He answered them, "You have been given knowledge about the secrets of the kingdom from heaven, but it hasn't been given to them, 

If you look at the first part of the parable (Mat.25:14) it is introducing another "is like" following a number of others. The context of the parable actually starts in Chapter 24 when Jesus started talking about the end times and his second coming. He then gave physical examples/ parables that were familiar to the listeners to explain spiritual things. Keep in mind that this concept of living in the Kingdom of Heaven was a new way of thinking at the time.

Jesus is talking about the Kingdom and the work we are called to do while he is away from the earth.

I think R.Hartono expressed it pretty well

I get a sense from what Jesus was saying in the parable, in part, that it is not so much that God is mad at the servant but that Jesus was stressing the point that if we don't use what we have been given, God will find someone else to do it and we will end up miserable when see we have missed out on the benefits of working in the Kingdom. 

I've likened the "putting away on deposit to gain interest" to , "if I can't completely use this gift yet, then I should be entrusting that "talent" to a mentor to help it grow in me and learn how to use it"

Keep in mind the context of this parable as it is followed by the parable of the sheep and the goats being separated. Ultimately, if the servant is burying / hiding the talent, was he really ever a servant? 

Edited by Mike 2

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

On 12/19/2018 at 2:47 PM, Figure of eighty said:

Also how many times do have to pray for God to guide me and to lead me and ask what His will for my life is...because I ask but I just get silence...

On 12/19/2018 at 2:47 PM, Figure of eighty said:

Don’t know how I managed to 2Xs the statement , but my reply is...when you ask God to guide or lead you have you ever been conflicted as to the direction to take? It may be that God wants you to take one but you are uncertain and take neither or the one you feel is best. God does hear and answer and guide but we need to be more discerning of His leading. That comes with prayer and reading the Bible and talking things out with Him. I’m sure there are times you have said “I should have done the other, or gone the other way.” It’s all a matter of discerning His will and that comes with subjecting your will to His and listening to what He is telling you.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

On 12/18/2018 at 9:04 PM, Figure of eighty said:

For example. I'm an artist meaning I illustrate and paint...however I work so much and so hard( going 5o get a second job soon) just to live in 5his society... That I can't draw like I want 5o..

Also since I struggle with anxiety that also keeps me from drawing sometimes...

It bothers me as it's me dream but due to these stressors I find my passion for art waning. I still love it but I don't have the passion I used to. 

Another example is a coworker who's a gifted singer. She has children and also works super hard so she doesn't do much with her talent either...

Do you think God  would be disappointed in us?

For some reason when I read your question I misunderstood talents to mean spiritual gifts even thee gifts of preaching and teaching. I think God won't be pleased if we ignore these. But I don't think talents like painting, sculpting, driving racing cars, swimming, or anything like this matters much to God. Especially if doing them interferes with earning a living and/or supporting children you were blessed with.

As for wondering if God has a special work for you, we all need to know. I think things like this can change as you go through life. You may not yet have reached the point in your life where you will be given your individual task. But I found it usually comes through as an inclination or a feeling to do something. Not really in words, I only know of 1 man who said he heard words. Consider the spiritual gifts you were given when praying about God's will for your life. Although it can also be to take care of your family if God gives you one. I knew a man who abandoned his family to seek a different mission in this life. He didn't find one and he came to a sad ending. This is actually what Jesus referred to as being a good steward of what you were given. Be sure you do this first because you won't be given anything else if you fail at this.

Sorry this got so long. In closing I'll repeat God won't be upset with you for not painting or drawing.

• Loved it! 1