• Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  81
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

10 hours ago, Abdicate said:

A very high percentage do:

2 Peter 2:1-3
But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.  And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.  And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not. 

Show me a Christian TV celeb or YouTuber not trying to sell you a book or set of CD/DVDs. Avoid them ALL!

Yeah, just to give an example, Jimmy Swaggart sells study bibles for around $50 to $100 each, and claims they make it easier to read the Bible. I actually have one of the New Testaments which was actually given to me by Gabriel Swaggart, and I read some of the Gospel of Matthew and got sick of the text of the Bible always being interrupted by Swaggarts' oppinion. Now at least Gabriel gave away several of the Bibles at the youth conference one day, but that was not the norm. Normally they sell these things for about 2 or 3 times the price of an ordinary Giant Print reference Bible.

But what does the Bible say about this? 1 John 2: 20-29 says we don't need a teacher to tell us how to read scripture or learn anything from God, because the Anointing from the Holy Spirit is sufficient to teach us all things. Teachers still have their place, but it's supposed to be an individual walking relationship with God, not a bunch of drones in a church congregation following a "king" or "queen".

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  406
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:42 PM, Cletus said:

Some people are going to tell you if you dont speak in tongues you are not baptized in The Holy Spirit and that tongues is evidence of getting a dose of The Ghost.  Personally because of this scripture(down a bit) I do not think every single person does/will speak in tongues.  But no one christian is lesser than another due to what gifts they have or do not have.  We each have a part of Christ, we are each apart of the same body and different parts of the body do different things and have different functions and the hand cannot say to the foot i dont need you.  anyway, here is the scripture that makes me question everyone baptized in The Holy Spirit will speak in tongues:

1Co 12:28  And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
1Co 12:29  Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
1Co 12:30  Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
1Co 12:31  But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

Baptism by water is not the same baptism.  Every one has a different story about their baptism.  Some are similar, some are radically different.  I have given up trying to figure out if someone is Spirit filled by what they say on an internet forum.  I just encourage people to find a church with the Holy Spirit there, and truth found in scripture preached there, and have elders lay hands on you... but I also encourage not to let just anyone lay hands on you because unclean spirits copy God and you do not want a false counterfeit Holy Spirit getting in you.  some churches out there have such spirits these days.  do not let just anyone lay hands on you, or even just pray for you.  Test the spirits and know for certain its of God.  

In everyone of the Five Biblical account of people being baptised in the Holy Ghost, They all spoke in tongues, Making Tongues the Biblical evidence of the baptism in the Holy Ghost. Jesus said the "BELIEVER" Shall speak in tongues.

What I, Or anyone else believes isn't important, Because it's what the Bible says, that's important.

When Paul said not everyone will speak in tongues, 1 Cor 12: 30.  He was talking about the Gifts of tongues that are one of the Gifts of the Spirit, in 1 Cor 12: 10, These tongues need an interpretation and are only ONE of the Eight operations of tongues that the Bible mentions.

Every operation of tongues are very important to the believer, That's why Jesus  said the Believe SHALL speak in tongues.

The people that argue that tongues aren't for everyone, Are those who don't speak in tongues and go by there own experience through there lack of faith to speak in tongues.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Cletus said:

first off i am not arguing and have zero desire to argue.  and secondly i pray in tongues every day.  If you search thru my posts in threads about tongues you will see clearly my position on speaking in tongues.  I have said many times on this forum i pray and sing in tongues everyday and that i have been given interpretation of my language even to exact words used that are higher praises than the word Hallelujah and I speak these with my understanding to honor God.  Furthermore, I have experiences i could share concerning tongues and other gifts that many will not and can not accept because they have not experienced it. 

Mar 16:17  And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18  They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

I have experienced 7 of the 9 gifts of The Spirit, healing is not one of them, and I have tried and prayed even begged God to use me for that.  Did Jesus not say lay hands on the sick and they shall recover?  well not me.  and it isnt from lack of trying because I have laid hands on sick and people going blind... they were not healed.  this too is my experience.   The verse you refer to Jesus said does not say that everyone will have all the gifts.  the verse I quoted and the verse you quoted seem to contradict, and scripture does not contradict itself.  when there is contradiction its found with in the bounds of our own understanding, not scripture.   all scripture is God breathed, and the original you replied to says do all speak in tongues?  implying not everyone does. 

Everyone who is baptised in the Holy Ghost, Will speak in tongues.

You don't have to pray or beg for God to use you to heal the sick, Just do it, Jesus has already said the believer shall lay hands on the  sick, And they SHALL recover.

Jesus did say everyone will speak in tongues and heal the sick, In Mk 16: 17--18. Or are you saying Jesus is deceiving us. You are going by your

own experience instead of going by God's word. It's not you and me contradicting each other, It's you contradicting the Bible.

When I said Paul said not everyone will speak min tongues, In 1 Cor 12: 30, He was speaking about the tongues that are for interpreting, And not everyone will have that gift, But there are seven more operations of tongues that the Bible records, And every Christian who is baptised in the Holy Ghost can speak in those tongues.

10 hours ago, Cletus said:

well i do thank you for lining me out on what my experiences actually are.  we should exchange email addies in case i ever need your services again. 

anytime you want to know more, Just ask me. Because I know and believe the Bible.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  02/04/1955

Are you and I 'saved" if we have yet to experience being 'baptized in the SPIRIT"?  Take a look at the original Apostles and others who were with JESUS for at least 3 years...who followed Him, gave up their earthly vocations and more and were truly dedicated to HIM.  What if they were to die before what happened on the Day of Pentacost. Were they 'saved"? Of course they were!  John (the Baptist) was beheaded, James was murdered and several more followers of JESUS met death before being "baptized" in His Spirit. What makes you and I any different?  Being baptized in the Spirit, to me, is an extra bonus, a confirmation on His part that we are extra special to Him.  We are already 'in His Spirit", having His Spirit with us the moment we believe and  confess Him.  The outward 'act" or infusion of His Spirit that makes us dance, or sing , or cry, or move or fall in weakness, or speak in a different language is a reaction to flesh meeting it's Creator's touch in a profound way that forever bonds us to HIM.  Imagine a good earthly father donating his kidney to save the life of his child.  It simply does not stop there. The same father will guard, teach, give good gifts and more to that same child as the child grows.  Same thing happens to God's own.  They get all of HIM when they embrace Him, yet, JESUS CHRIST just keeps giving and giving!

• 2 months later...

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

The Bible tells us that in order to inherit the Kingdom, we must be born of the water and of the Spirit (John 3:5), and that without the Spirit of God we are none of the Lord's (Romans 8:9).

Every instance throughout Scripture when I convert was filled with the Spirit, they spoke with new tongues. (Acts 2:4; Acts 10:46; Acts 19:6)

Why should we expect our Spirit infilling experience to be any different?  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

On 1/11/2019 at 11:46 PM, leah777 said:

That scripture is saying not everyone speaks in tongues. 

Is speaking in tongues proof of the Holy Spirit baptism? that scripture appears to say it isnt, its a gift some have, and some dont.

Yes, I agree, tongues is gift that some are given and some are not. Indeed, tongues seems to be regarded in Scripture as secondary gift - for example, prophecy is deemed to be of higher value.

This is in contrast to esteem that some Christians give tongues. Their view is that if one doesn't have tongues, one is not true believer.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  125
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,082
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

How do you know you have been baptized in the Holy Spirit? is simply being filled or empowered by the Holy Spirit to do God's word, to grow in the virtues of II Peter 1.  I ask to be filled every hour.

What about if you do not speak in tongues? are you not worthy to be baptized in the Holy Spirit if you dont speak in tongues?

Speaking in unknown languages is not necessary.   If you read Acts looking for "Holy Spirit" with phrases like upon, fill, filled, full you will see it happens often and gives one the strength to do God's work like witnessing or serving others.

Are you still saved if you are not baptized in the Holy Spirit?  When one is saved they become indwelt by the Holy Spirit which means He is now living in you to make you a new creation.    Being filled is empowerment by the Holy Spirit.    So, Yes one is saved even if they do not speak in tongues --- which is the least of spiritual gifts and should not be the centerpiece of any church. 

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  111
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  09/20/1966

jsut remember not all speak in tongues.

So evidence of the holy spirit could be any of the gifts .

• 9 months later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  771
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/07/1947

On 1/11/2019 at 12:13 PM, leah777 said:

How do you know you have been baptized in the Holy Spirit?

What about if you do not speak in tongues? are you not worthy to be baptized in the Holy Spirit if you dont speak in tongues?

Are you still saved if you are not baptized in the Holy Spirit?

Sorry for all the questions guys, this came up in another thread I am in, and I feel lost and shaky about all this stuff now.

I now this is a late post for you, because I have just joined this forum.  When you were converted to Christ, you were baptised with the Spirit at the same time.  Because neither tongues or prophecy have flowed out of you (that might have changed over the past year), it is because He is sitting dormant in your spirit.  He needs to start flowing out of you, and that takes faith on your part.  The potential for manifesting any of the gifts of the Spirit are within you.   Here are the steps I  thank are best to take to get the flow going, in tongues at least.  When that happens, the other gifts will follow as the Spirit directs.

1. You must believe that it is God's will for you to exercise the gift.  There is no point going any further until you get to that point.  If other try to pressure you into tongues without that belief, you might just get a flesh counterfeit instead.

2. You need to ask God directly for the gift, believing that He hears you and will give you exactly what you ask for and not anything else. If a child asks for bread, will a father give him a stone instead?

3.  You need to receive the gift.  Read my testimony in the Baptism with the Spirit, Testimonies thread.  Just saying to the Lord, "I receive the gift" gets it out of God's outstretched hand to yours.

4.  Then you then believe that you can speak in tongues, and use your faith to speak syllable sand words until the language starts to flow out of you.

It is best that you do all this alone with the Lord, and then you will know that when the flow happens it comes from the Lord and not through someone else's will for you.

Edited by Paul James