• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 3/12/2019 at 3:31 PM, LadyKay said:

Today I found out that my town's grocery store is closing its doors.

Years back we also had our one blinking light town lose the family run half century old grocery store/feed store and closed it's doors.
But now we have a mega grocery store. That's because all the city dwellers are moving out to the boonies to be our neighbors.
I understand why they come, as our family has owned our land for almost seventy years and we enjoy privacy and quiet.
No more.
The problem is, they bring the city with them, and all the problems. New roads, new homes, new schools, new county ordinances, neighborhood inter fighting, more roads, traffic, sirens at all times, and developers signs everywhere, and plenty of new taxes.
Most mom and pop businesses have disappeared.
Progress/regress.

I still preferred the long drives on the tiny country roads to go shopping in the city.
Because.
When we finished shopping, we left, and we could drove back to our quiet home.   

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

15 minutes ago, Sower said:

Years back we also had our one blinking light town lose the family run half century old grocery store/feed store and closed it's doors.
But now we have a mega grocery store. That's because all the city dwellers are moving out to the boonies to be our neighbors.
I understand why they come, as our family has owned our land for almost seventy years and we enjoy privacy and quiet.
No more.
The problem is, they bring the city with them, and all the problems. New roads, new homes, new schools, new county ordinances, neighborhood inter fighting, more roads, traffic, sirens at all times, and developers signs everywhere, and plenty of new taxes.
Most mom and pop businesses have disappeared.
Progress/regress.

I still preferred the long drives on the tiny country roads to go shopping in the city.
Because.
When we finished shopping, we left, and we could drove back to our quiet home.   

Oh sower , you just rejoice in and praise the Lord .  In fact , let all that has breath just praise the Lord .

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

That's right , sister selah song ,    We were created TO PRAISE THE LORD and HONOR HIM in all we do or say .      Hands up and let all praise the Lord .

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Grocery stores typically operate on slim profit margins. 

Btw, its not just alaska that has walmarts that are not close. When I lived on the navajo reservation, the nearest walmart was 90 miles away.

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,568
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

....When I lived on the navajo reservation, the nearest walmart was 90 miles away.

That's not far enough!

• Haha 3

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,568
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 3/12/2019 at 4:31 PM, LadyKay said:

Today I found out that my town's grocery store is closing its doors. We do have a small Sav-a-lot store, and a drug store that sells a few grocery items. But they both have very limited selection. This was a family own grocery store and has been here for 37 years. Now it is going to be just another empty building in town. No word on what happen. 

Hi,

Well by contrast we have  Publix, Winn Dixie, Whole Paycheck, Aldi, Fresh Market, EarthFare, And  two independent organic food and health supply stores to select from within three miles of home and in fact five  of them I could walk to if I wanted to do  that. In addition there are three Wally worlds and one Wally supermarket plus Target super store, and oh yes the winery place.

We used to only have 485 stores  in  walking distance two mega plex movie houses and  every restaurant one every heard of. Now most everything is being  upscaled modernized expanded, and there must be more than 700 places to get  anything known to man  nearby

And yet we are looking to  move at least part time to the mountains and drive 17 miles to Ingles. Even the mountains are booming with all us "half backs".

The economy here is just thriving with  good stuff, churches are growing, people are having a good time, life is grand.

Perhaps the store closing is opportunity knocking for someone! Or maybe it is opportunity to start a co -op and work as a community  together for a common good.

Got to go, beloved wife just came in from Publix  with bags o stuff. I never did get to eat lunch today - going browsing the bags for treats.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

I live in the city. Within a few miles of us are several walmarts, a couple of targets, safeway, albertsons, frys, winco, costco, sams club, sprouts, trader joes, and natural grocers. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

On 3/12/2019 at 5:31 PM, LadyKay said:

Today I found out that my town's grocery store is closing its doors. We do have a small Sav-a-lot store, and a drug store that sells a few grocery items. But they both have very limited selection. This was a family own grocery store and has been here for 37 years. Now it is going to be just another empty building in town. No word on what happen. 

I went this afternoon to one of my favorite clothing stores and guess what? It's gone :(

• Haha 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,020
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,309
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

On 3/12/2019 at 1:31 PM, LadyKay said:

I'm sorry about that, LadyKay.   When you need other stuff how far of a drive will it be to get it?   It would be great if some other people would reopen the grocery store.   Maybe the other people just wanted to retire?

Last year a small Target opened about one block from me.   I was glad because now that I am not walking 30 minutes to the big market, I can get some groceries at the little Target.   Now and then I take the taxi up to the big market for other groceries.   I also can get on our nice subway and in two minutes be at a larger Target downtown.

If I ever move I really need to be near a market.   Can't afford a car anymore.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  463
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/12/2019 at 4:31 PM, LadyKay said:

deleted

Edited by Joulre2abba