• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

Yes, I've often referred over to biblegateway.com which is very good. And also recently checked Bible Hub's home page. Thanks for posting the info on this, chrysalis. God bless you. 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

2 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Makes me wonder about the stern warning the Lord gave? Whom, when and how could someone add or take away from scripture?

Yes, that is an interesting warning. I think to be very technical, that would apply to the book of Revelation, not to the whole Bible. There is a similar passage in the Old Testament. If we applied that sort of thinking to what was available then, we would never have gotten a New Testament. What has been considered as canon of scripture, and varied from time to time. Again is we apply the warning to all scripture, would be consider the Apocrypha part of that. In that case, do we think the Roman Catholic church was in violation, for adding the Apocrypha? Or, is it the Anglicans and Protestants, who violated, by removing the Apocrypha. For those who are King James only adulterants, what are they to do? The 1611 King James Bible, had the Apocrypha, while most modern King James versions, have it missing. Tricky to think about! 

However, like I said, I think that warning is Revelation specific. Even there, we get into transnational difficulties, and which ancient text do we go by? I am inclined to think that God looks upon the heart, and that the word of God is not ink on paper, but what He wants us to know, from His heart, to out heart. Where I think it might be dangerous, is when we try to remove doctrines or add them, that God never intended. There are a lot of doctrinal debates right here on Worthy, and not everyone can be right. So, either some are adding and subtracting, or they all are! 

There, I am counting on the grace of God, who looks on the hearts of people, and knows their motives, even if they do not. I few for those who knowingly and intentionally distort the truth, and as a debater of doctrine, I sweat a little myself!

2 hours ago, other one said:

I would personally say that the main reason for so many different versions is based on money....   from large publishing companies....

I have to admit, I cannot help but wonder, if translators and publishers do not have vested interests at times. For example, most Bible version have the word "baptism" in them. It is not a translation, it is a transliteration. The Greek word was baptismo, which means "immersion". That would not sell as well to denominations which sprinkle, instead if immersing their congregants. I have seldom heard of John the immerser! 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

If anyone is interested; there is a great little booklet available for free about Bible Versions at http://www.stewartonbibleschool.org/

Yeah, there is also this:

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/232382-some-bible-version-information/

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,124
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

20 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Yes, I've often referred over to biblegateway.com which is very good. And also recently checked Bible Hub's home page. Thanks for posting the info on this, chrysalis. God bless you. 

Shalom, 

David/BeauJangles

I use Bible Gateway on my tablet and phone...   and MySword if I want to see Strongs references

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

8 hours ago, Firm Foundation said:

I would just stay with the KJV Bible and throw the others in the trash.

Your choice, but even the KJV committee of scholars established a time table for revisions by both an  American committee and an English committee. So the writers did not find themselves to be infallible, nor inspired, but illuminated by the best efforts of a committee.

I like the American Standard 1901 "the hard rock of truth" done by the American KJV revision committee. Yet most often I use the ESV.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,124
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

32 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

I have to admit, I cannot help but wonder, if translators and publishers do not have vested interests at times. For example, most Bible version have the word "baptism" in them. It is not a translation, it is a transliteration. The Greek word was baptismo, which means "immersion". That would not sell as well to denominations which sprinkle, instead if immersing their congregants. I have seldom heard of John the immerser! 

John the Immerser sounds like a middle ages villain    LoL

Just now, other one said:

John the Immerser sounds like a middle ages villain    LoL

I cannot disagree, sort of like Jack the Ripper, or Vlad the Impaler!

• Haha 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

A near and dear sister of mine can confirm something for us all to take heed unto .

I suggest we all take a peek at copyright laws .    In order to rewrite and sell it  ,  something must be done .    YALL GO take a peek at this , really dig in .

And besides all that ,  I have read many versions that ,    how to put it nicely did NO NOS .

But they always claim , WE are greek scholars , we have the better interpretation today .     Yeah right .    I don't heed fat lazy men who twist stuff .

Wycliff,  Tyndale ,  those men actually were persecuted for their translations . And they were not In it for a buck or an agenda.

And the beauty of the KJV can no bible match .  Not in accuracy and not in beauty .      Folks , we got agendas and the love of money has waxed to an all time high .  Tyndale did a beauty by grace ,  and its been said that over eighty percent of the KJV alone was interpreted from tyndales writings .

But either way ,   That bible is accurate and full of beauty .   

Edited by frienduff thaylorde

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,468
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

10 hours ago, other one said:

I use Bible Gateway on my tablet and phone...   and MySword if I want to see Strongs references

Me too, two great programs. Personally there's nothing like having the Word of God in your hand covered with a nice leather binding. At Wednesday evening Bible study for instance, it's fast and convenient having a tablet to check other verses and references and not having to book mark your pages. And like you said; the Strong's Concordance comes in handy when away from your hard copy or computer.  

I purchased a program called "Sword Searcher", love it. Wish it was compatible with my Android.