• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/10/1972

My niece just had her first child yesterday & her & her husband plan to have the baptism in a couple weeks. 

I started to wonder what others believe regarding infant baptism. What are your thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 1

If it’s just to dedicate the infant to Christ than it means something, if it is intended to “save” the infant than it is meaningless.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

48 minutes ago, mlbrokish said:

My niece just had her first child yesterday & her & her husband plan to have the baptism in a couple weeks. 

I started to wonder what others believe regarding infant baptism. What are your thoughts?

It seems to me some people get upset over this issue without making an effort to understand the other side. People who believe in infant baptism have a good reason: They believe that you need to be baptized before you can get into heaven, and they want to make sure their children get into heaven. On the other hand, some people believe a person should make his, or her, own decision about whether or not they want to be baptized. Both arguments seem legitimate to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,822
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Paedobaptism, or infant baptism, is not taught nor directed in the New Testament.

What is taught and directed and frankly, commanded, is believer's baptism, credobaptism.

If someone wants to baptize their infant, it's not a sin.  However, if they believe that sprinkling some water on an infant's head guarantees their entrance into heaven, they are following a lie from the Father of Lies.

Water does not save.  A believer is baptized by full immersion as prescribed by the New Testament to show their dying with the Lord and their raising to new life with him.

Jesus saves alone via the Holy Spirit's conviction of sin and God's drawing of the sinner to himself.

Neither baptism saves.  But only one baptism is taught by the Bible - full immersion AFTER one is saved.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

I agree with everything Rick Parker said so I won’t be redundant here. 

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.87
  • Days Won:  5

Baptism into the Body Of Christ is the Baptism that counts......make sure you get that one! Believe 1cor15:1-4 and you are in. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  1

I baptized my daughter as a baby. I raised her to know the Lord. I put my kids in Christian school. And she got baptized for herself a few months ago at 23. I’m grateful to God for saving us. 

Edited by Kristin
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

Baptism is the means by which a person makes a public profession of faith and discipleship. Infant baptism is not a biblical practice. An infant does not have the mental ability to know who God is or to obey. An infant will not go to hell if he or she dies. They will automatically go to heaven until the age of accountability. The Bible does not say what age this is. It is an age when the child knows who Jesus Christ is and can grasp the fact that Jesus Christ died on the cross of their sins. I have seen a children dedicated by the Pastor at a Church I have attended. The Pastor prays for the child and that is great. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

8 hours ago, mlbrokish said:

8 hours ago, Rick_Parker said:

If it’s just to dedicate the infant to Christ than it means something, if it is intended to “save” the infant than it is meaningless.

6 hours ago, Jayne said:

Paedobaptism, or infant baptism, is not taught nor directed in the New Testament.

What is taught and directed and frankly, commanded, is believer's baptism, credobaptism.

But only one baptism is taught by the Bible - full immersion AFTER one is saved.

A 'Christening' or dedication to the Lord is perfectly alright. I've seen dedications where the infant is anointed with oil, and felt that had more scriptural significance. Just a thought. All denominations are different on this, and some don't practice it at all. 

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.96
  • Days Won:  21

Baptism equates to circumcision. It is a MARK and has no salvation significance. If you read the various creeds about this you will come away befuddled.

In times past when infant deaths were very likely, folk were encouraged by various religious institution to baptise babies. No harm no foul. If that is your cup of tea, then go for it. There IS an implied injunction for the witnesses of such an event: they must take an active role in the nurturing of the child. That is a bit scary for some.

Confirmation is the WILFUL acceptance of one's baptism and an open claim to the Salvation by Yeshua. That is as far as it goes. 

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 1