How does one give alms "secretly"?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

We're not supposed to do it openly, so as to receive the praise of men... So how does one do it?

The only thing I can think of is like, picking a person's lock when they're not home and leaving the donation somewhere they'd see it, or maybe being a reverse pickpocket. If money is inadvisable because the person could be an addict of some sort, how does one give food or clothing secretly? Does a guy wear a mask when he does it, or even at least some groucho glasses or something?

I get that a guy shouldn't call attention to it like shouting, "HEY LOOK AT THIS MONEY I'M GOING TO GIVE THIS HOMELESS PERSON" or calling the news about it. I just don't get how to do it without being known.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

1 minute ago, dr3032 said:

We're not supposed to do it openly, so as to receive the praise of men... So how does one do it?

The only thing I can think of is like, picking a person's lock when they're not home and leaving the donation somewhere they'd see it, or maybe being a reverse pickpocket. If money is inadvisable because the person could be an addict of some sort, how does one give food or clothing secretly? Does a guy wear a mask when he does it, or even at least some groucho glasses or something?

I get that a guy shouldn't call attention to it like shouting, "HEY LOOK AT THIS MONEY I'M GOING TO GIVE THIS HOMELESS PERSON" or calling the news about it. I just don't get how to do it without being known.

I think the gist of the thing is that once you've given your alms, don't tell others.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.37

Dr3032,

“But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you” (Matthew 6:3-4).

I think Jesus means for us to give quietly in a spirit of humility. Do not dwell on the gift given or hav a spirit of self-congratulation. I think you already get that he doesn’t want us to make a big production in view of others or in our own hearts.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

I've wondered about this, when it comes to our spouses. I can give without telling men, but should I hide it from my wife also? 

We're one flesh, so it shouldn't matter but it would feel weird to tell her - as if I'm seeking her praise. 

It might be what the Lord means by don't let your left hand know that your right is giving. But I don't know. I'm still searching out the matter.

Love & Shalom 

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

Then decide what charities you want to support and set up a standing order with your bank so a set amount goes to charities, 'X', 'Y', and 'Z'. No one at church or work or your neighbourhood who will know how generous or mean you are and the charities will be helping a range of people in need.

Giving to those in the street, just do it, the more fuss you make the more people will notice.

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

15 hours ago, dr3032 said:

I just don't get how to do it without being known.

It isn't that difficult, really. Just don't broadcast it publicly. ;)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

23 hours ago, dr3032 said:

If a person needs alms and you give it to them, they know about it, and it can be kept secret from others.

Don't confuse Jesus's encouragements to have a lifestyle of anonymous giving--and avoiding boasting in giving--with some kind of laws people need to follow for salvation.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  347
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2

And certain women, which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils, And Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others, which ministered unto him of their substance — ‭Luke‬ ‭8:2-3‬

Doesn’t sound like anonymous donations to me. We can’t reduce spiritual principles down to methods or formulas. Give what you feel led to give in the way you feel led to give it to those you feel led to touch, and don’t brag about it. Really, it’s that simple.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,822
  • Content Per Day:  1.29

16 minutes ago, pg4Him said:

And certain women, which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils, And Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod's steward, and Susanna, and many others, which ministered unto him of their substance — ‭Luke‬ ‭8:2-3‬

Doesn’t sound like anonymous donations to me. We can’t reduce spiritual principles down to methods or formulas. Give what you feel led to give in the way you feel led to give it to those you feel led to touch, and don’t brag about it. Really, it’s that simple.

Maybe it was not boasted or told about by these women, but God boasted about it in his word.

Sort of like how the woman who anointed Jesus with expensive oil.  Jesus said of her, "Truly, I say to you wherever this gospel is proclaimed in the whole world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her."

I think the point is.  Keep your giving to yourself.  If you are to be praised for it, let God handle that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60

23 hours ago, dr3032 said:

I think biblical context is important in this one.

6 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. 2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.  (Matt 6:1-6 NIV)

I think verse 6:1 speaks to the heart of the matter which is motivation.  I think the key is the phrase "to be seen by them".  If 6:1 read only "Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others", this would point mainly to the act being seen and not the motivation.  The phrase "to be seen by them" adds a motive.   If we practice righteousness primarily for the purpose of impressing others, that's all we'll get out of it.  I think the verses following are meant to be concrete examples illustrating 6:1.  Note that the English word hypocrite is basically a transliteration of the Greek word whose original meaning referred to acting in plays and later took on derived meanings related to pretending and lying.

Show up at a homeless shelter to do volunteer work so you can post selfies online and make your college application look better, you've got your reward in full.  You'll get some upvotes and fawning compliments and an increased chance of admittance.  Show up at a homeless shelter to do volunteer work because of compassion and a desire to minister and you'll get a spiritual blessing from it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Praise God! 1