• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,264
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, unworthyservant said:

Wow, that's a little much for this old man to digest quickly at this moment but I assure you that when I get a second wind, I'll return and try to sort through it all and reply if necessary.

To be succinct, All scripture is inspired, not just the ones you like.

Everyone wants to see scripture to back up a post, and when I do use scriptures,
they really do not want to go to the all trouble to read it. I spent time preparing the list above.
For nought, save as done as was led.

2 hours ago, maryjayne said:

Possibly stupid post alert;

Are you saying that the whole Bible is Jesus/Gods words, and the red print in my Bible is just the words Jesus spoke in his earthly life?

I am still struggling with Paul not being the antichrist.

I am saying:
I believe all scripture is inspired.

To make this single idea better understood to unworthyservant who had/has a problem trusting Paul's writings,
I went to the trouble listing many of the various ways God has given us His word, and history of the bible.
That even though not all scripture from God is red letter edition, (man's idea)  it all comes from God.

I looked up the amount of scripture actually spoken by Jesus "quoted' or RED letter.
I read it was about 2000 w0rds, compared to 800,000 total in the bible. (important to unworthyservant ??)

Was trying to show unworthyservant somehow, he can trust Paul's word, and everything else, it  ALL comes from God.

I do not what this is about; maryjayne;  "I am still struggling with Paul not being the antichrist"
Have i/we crossed wires somewhere?

32 minutes ago, maryjayne said:

see my post upthread, about 2 posts before yours. Perhaps I should put a clarifyer on the post you quoted too??

Alls cool..................default_cool2.gif.8ac911e6cdd51bdbffb1a6bbb52fa8ee.gif

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

A brief commentary from CARM.org and is not necessarily my own personal opinion. For those into apologetics, this may be of interest. Sorry I couldn't find a link on the page however. That's my apology. :rolleyes:  

How is Paul saying that he was speaking and not God affect the doctrine of inspiration?

by Matt Slick

There are verses in the New Testament where Paul says that he is speaking, not the Lord.  How does this affect the doctrine of inspiration which states that every word in the Bible is true and from God?  Let's take a look at these three verses.

• 1 Cor. 7:12, "But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, let him not send her away."
  • 1 Cor. 7:25, "Now concerning virgins I have no command of the Lord, but I give an opinion as one who by the mercy of the Lord is trustworthy."
  • 2 Cor. 11:17, "That which I am speaking, I am not speaking as the Lord would, but as in foolishness, in this confidence of boasting."

First of all, we need to understand what inspiration means.  2 Tim. 3:16 says, "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness."  The word "inspired" is θεόπνευστος theopneustos.  It means God-breathed.

The inspiration of the Bible does not mean that every single word in the Bible is dictated by God or is from God.  Instead, it means that whenever the Bible speaks in regards to history, truth, God, morality, etc., it is without error.  In addition, within all of this, it will accurately record the sinful behavior of people, such as their lies.  It doesn't mean that those lies were inspired from God.

Take Genesis 3 where the devil says to Eve, "You surely shall not die!" (Gen. 3:4).  The words are not "God breathed."  But, the words are accurately recorded within the "God breathed" scriptures.  This is what happened, and in the inspired word of God we can trust that the words are accurately represented and it is up to us to learn from what is recorded there.

Back to Paul's statements.  

In the verses where Paul said that he was speaking, not God, then it is absolutely true and correct that he was speaking and not God.  But, this also means that he knew when he was speaking for God.  This is no challenge to the inspiration of the word of God at all.  Paul was able to distinguish between his own words and those of the Lord and, again, the Bible accurately records what was said--including the differentiation between what was Paul's opinion and what was God's word.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

2 hours ago, maryjayne said:

Right, I see what I wrote to give that idea. Sorry. No. There is a stray 'not' in there.

I miss read a post up thread and thought someone was saying that Paul was not inspired, and was speaking against God introducing teachings of his own, claiming they came from Christ.

As you were, nothing to see here (blush)

However - I have once been in conversation (her ranting at me) with a lady Vicar who insisted that Paul was to be disregarded, as he put his own words into the Bible and thats why there are scriptures against Homosexuals and women, and he was probably the antichrist we were warned of.

edited: this was supposed to be a reply to @Sonshine☀️

Man my heart literally dropped when  I read your post as “Paul...Antichrist”. You are usually super solid in your posts. Phew! Glad that was cleared up.

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.96
  • Days Won:  21

God took folk where they were in their environment and the inspiration so many talk of was the message He wanted conveyed. No automatic writing, no zombie like state. Just people doing what He wanted and it ALSO included their particular written styles as well. Inspiration is a much misunderstood concept. In the Tanach Yeshua is seen talking with people and performing all kinds of miracles. Inspiration does NOT make people robots and taking over their minds. Inspiration can be from anyone and for anyone at any time that God chooses.

It is a silly idea that all the books written could NOT be used by God at any time for any purpose. So we ascribe deity to 66 books and worship them to the exclusion of all others. All scripture is of benefit says the apostle. And that meant ALL. That includes also much we have never heard of that The Lord and disciples read. Why? Because God can use anything He wants to further His purposes.

Stop worshiping at the altar of 'inspiration' and other doctrines that when analysed are really quite dumb.

There is no such thing as 'inerrant' either when talking of humans and holy ones alike. Another dumb idea. To err is to be human and it demonstrates God's great Power and Understanding of those He chose when He gets them to actually do as He wants.

We are His IMAGERS, we are to be like Him. Just because we make mistakes affects that fact not one iota.

Yeshua is the Spirit of Prophesy. It is His game and His rules.

Edited by Justin Adams

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  354
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  964
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

21 hours ago, unworthyservant said:

They are all Scripture and all Scripture is inspired of God. I just don't believe that because they are Scripture and inspired, there is justification for crediting the words to Christ, that's all.

So if all scripture is God inspired as you acknowledge and Peter says in scripture that what Paul writes is scripture and Paul says that Jesus has revealed this to him then what is Paul writing, his own words?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.37

In a word, yes. Paul was writing his own words just as Christ spoke His own words. Now, in both cases they were writing and speaking the Inspired word of God. And as for the actual words, Christ taught us not to worry about the words we will say when we are brought before men and must answer their charges or defend the Faith. He said God would supply the words when the situation arises. Now I believe that both Christ and Paul spoke and wrote with that same inspiration and have never said otherwise. I really once again just want to make the ONLY point I meant to make in the first place. That is that I don't feel comfortable with quoting Paul and simply using the words "Christ said" without explaining for those who might take that literally and when they go to their Bible and look at the words of Christ in the Gospels they won't find them and may become discouraged. I'm all about encouragement and so shy away from anything that might possibly be misunderstood by those who are babes in the faith. So, with that I sincerely hope that we can move on to other things and leave questions about semantics for awhile. I posted several music videos (I learned a new trick) and have been listening to them to refresh my soul. Would you check out the one that's named "sung from the heart"? I hope it touches you heart and that it will be a blessing. God Bless you

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  354
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  964
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

17 hours ago, unworthyservant said:

In a word, yes. Paul was writing his own words just as Christ spoke His own words. Now, in both cases they were writing and speaking the Inspired word of God. And as for the actual words, Christ taught us not to worry about the words we will say when we are brought before men and must answer their charges or defend the Faith. He said God would supply the words when the situation arises. Now I believe that both Christ and Paul spoke and wrote with that same inspiration and have never said otherwise. I really once again just want to make the ONLY point I meant to make in the first place. That is that I don't feel comfortable with quoting Paul and simply using the words "Christ said" without explaining for those who might take that literally and when they go to their Bible and look at the words of Christ in the Gospels they won't find them and may become discouraged. I'm all about encouragement and so shy away from anything that might possibly be misunderstood by those who are babes in the faith. So, with that I sincerely hope that we can move on to other things and leave questions about semantics for awhile. I posted several music videos (I learned a new trick) and have been listening to them to refresh my soul. Would you check out the one that's named "sung from the heart"? I hope it touches you heart and that it will be a blessing. God Bless you

Thanks for responding

This will be the last response from me if you want to move on.

In response to the assertion that Paul was writing his own words and not the inspired word of Christ this is not upheld by this passage: 1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe. Paul was saying it was not his words.

Last thing Luke 12:11 And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say: Jesus came to Israel only and spoke to Israel. This passage is not for the church in this dispensation. This was related to the coming Davidic kingdom on earth promised Israel,

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,793
  • Content Per Day:  1.03

The New Testament is either the Word of God, from God, or it isn't. To claim some attributed to some individual's own interpretation, means it is not God's Word. That is faithlessness.