lftc

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

I was walking after dark a week or so ago, carry home some street vendor type food.

I passed a man squatting beside a wall, awake but ignoring me.  I walked past.

I felt urged to give the man some food.  I turned around, walked back and offered him some food, holding it out towards him.

He suddenly jumped up and started angrily insisting that I give him money,  agressively swinging his arms wide and gesturing at me.  He moved to block my exit.

I said "no money, only food".  At which he started yelling for money and started reaching behind his back, like he was going to retrieve a weapon. 

I spoke in a forceful voice, telling him to sit down.  He looked confused then put his arms down and moved out of my way.  I walked past him and home.  When I went around a turn down the road, I looked back - he was still standing there.

While in the waking periods of the night, I was deeply concerned for the man.  What kind of hell is he living in?  Why can't I help him? 

I hope and pray he awakens.

I don't share this story to say "look what I did".  I didn't do anything like a christian except worry about the man during the night. 

Someday I hope to be effective. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.51
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

1 hour ago, lftc said:

I was walking after dark a week or so ago, carry home some street vendor type food.

I felt urged to give the man some food.  I turned around, walked back and offered him some food, holding it out towards him.

He suddenly jumped up and started angrily insisting that I give him money,  agressively swinging his arms wide and gesturing at me.  He moved to block my exit.

I said "no money, only food".  At which he started yelling for money and started reaching behind his back, like he was going to retrieve a weapon. 

I spoke in a forceful voice, telling him to sit down.  He looked confused then put his arms down and moved out of my way.  I walked past him and home.  When I went around a turn down the road, I looked back - he was still standing there.

While in the waking periods of the night, I was deeply concerned for the man.  What kind of hell is he living in?  Why can't I help him? 

I don't share this story to say "look what I did".  I didn't do anything like a christian except worry about the man during the night. 

God bless you. I suspect there was more going on there than is evident from your account.

This reminds me so much of something that I experienced. I have to consider before sharing.

• Thanks 2

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

It has been my experience that those who are hungry are grateful for the meals they receive. Those who are just begging for money, and usually those who dont truly need it but this is their "job" are offended when you offer food.

It has also been my experience that sometimes they are truly hungry but are also mentally ill and dangerous and will lash out instead. You may have encountered such a one. 

• Well Said! 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Well done. You obeyed what you felt was God leading you back to the man. The man chose not to accept the food/love of God. You did what God asked.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

You were effective, are effective. You are praying for him. Perhaps try visiting him again in the daytime and ask him about how he came to be where he is. Give him food and tell him you care and are praying for him.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

9 hours ago, lftc said:

Pray for him. 

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.95
  • Days Won:  21

Yes. You never know the impact a simple kindly word or deed will have. It might be years before a simple act has its fruition, or it might be in the next ten seconds. We should always be ready for this because our God knows all and sometimes directs us thus.

I recall taking a poor fellow, a homeless guy, to Wendy's for a meal. I mused at the time about being homeless. I had a fine house on 5 acres at the time. Within a week I was kicked out and homeless.

One never knows.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

@DustyRoad, @Alive, @ayin jade, @other one, @dailyprayerwarrior, @Melinda12, @Justin Adams

Thank you all for your thoughts and insights.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

On 10/22/2019 at 5:06 AM, lftc said:

Jesus sees your compassionate heart?

• Praise God! 1