Figure of eighty

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,558
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

Im going to be moving out soon and when I do he'll be 1. 

I just keep thinking of how vulnerable I am living alone with a small child and I worry endlessly how to protect him and myself incase anything happens but I know living in fear isnt the answer. 

I just wish I was more brave and confident in myself.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,566
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, Having concern and seeking God's guidance may be wise, while worrying endlessly  definitely is not.

As a beginning for changing from worry to seeking guidance and assurance from  God perhaps some passages and verses found at the following may help. https://dailyverses.net/worry/esv

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

4 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

I just keep thinking of how vulnerable I am living alone with a small child and I worry endlessly how to protect him and myself incase anything happens but I know living in fear isnt the answer. 

The clearer our consciences, the braver we become, I think. God takes care of us, but we save ourselves a lot of trouble if we do things his way.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

Hello Figure of eighty,

Know first your not alone! Wherever you go Christ is with you, he's right where you are at all times. Your strength comes from him and he never fails!

The second thing is, I see some of me here in your post. I have at times worried about things that didn't even happen, and I worried for nothing Because they never happened. So dear friend try to begin thinking on the positive instead of the negative.We know fear and worry are from Satan. Think instead fearless with Christ and a winner who's been given victory through Christ!

Just remember, your steps are ordered by God, he has never steered one off course. God is also your protector and shield, his love for you both is endless. He has brought you this far and he has plans for your future.

God bless ?

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I have always been comforted by the 91st Psalm.   https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+91&version=NIV

Here are just a few verses that I have read many times when times were rough.

He will cover you with his feathers,
    and under his wings you will find refuge;
    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear the terror of night,
    nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
    nor the plague that destroys at midday.

11 For he will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

First, have faith in God. As scripture says, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you can move mountains. 

If it's a matter of protection, I don't see the harm in taking precautions. Have plans of action in place in case of a fire or other emergency. Maybe see if you can make friends with a neighbor who is able to fight, as cops often arrive after the crime, not during (in other words, a more nearby and quicker-to-appear defender). Self-defense might not be a bad idea, either. Just don't get too paranoid, alright? Life is too short to let fear dictate too much.

I'd say it also helps to try and get out of your comfort zone, if it's something like a fear of other people in general. I was (and in many ways, still am) pretty reclusive when I was younger. I don't count myself a social sort, but getting out and about and speaking every now and then really helped me get over much of what might have been called "social anxiety" to some. Think of it like swimming lessons - Nobody starts out as Michael Phelps; they start out dipping their head underwater in order to get used to it. I just think it was a lack of experience and bit of bad experience growing up in school, rather than social anxiety. You can't trust everyone, of course, but that certainly doesn't mean everyone's out to get you.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

10 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

Specifically, what fears are you having? Fire, break-ins, clowns? 

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

10 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

depends on what you really are concerned about....   there might be a whole list of things that you might be nervous about..  

Truth is that the world is a much scarier place in our minds than it is in reality...  we tend to dream up the worst things that can happen and spend lives running from that....   if you are really worried about physically protecting yourself and your child, I would really recommend taking a personal safety course where professional people can show you ways to protect yourself from most things....   the ultimate protection I guess would be some kinds of weapons, but that route still takes training and one has to be extra careful with any kind of weapons around children....     My wife who has M. S. took a self defense class a few years ago and learned how to use her cane as a weapon to protect her from most people who would harm her.  She hasn't hit me with the thing yet, but I would not look forward to the experience....   she understands how to make it not worth your while to mess with her and that's pretty much what most people need.

If you are concerned about safety at home, we put in an ADT security system....   that way if someone breaks into the house that thing calls the police and what we have to do is hide till they get to our house....     Where we live that is from three to five minutes...    and it protects the house while we are gone also.   It is very helpful when you get home to know that there isn't anyone in the house waiting for you to get home.

some people might suggest a hand gun, but you should pray about that and give much thought about it....   it sounds like a good fix for fear, but in reality it can just bring on a whole different set of problems.  Fearful people should never ever carry any kind of a gun....   There is more danger of getting yourself in trouble with it than one can think unless one has done a lot of training....     

Ultimately you need to pray about it and ask the Lord what he would have you to do.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,403
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

11 hours ago, Figure of eighty said:

Congratulations on the move. Keep in mind that a certain level of fear is healthy. It hopefully gets us to look at things with a critical eye and consider the potential consequences of our actions. If you're worried about the location you're moving to definitely research it beforehand to see what the crime rate is like. And definitely keep a legal means of self defense at hand as often as you can. For less overtly dangerous situations experience can help. I tend to have a lot of anxiety issues, especially about any kind of confrontation. I've had to really push myself to stick up for myself at times but it's for the better. Just practicing being assertive can help a little. And of course pray!

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,558
  • Content Per Day:  0.77

7 hours ago, other one said:

depends on what you really are concerned about....   there might be a whole list of things that you might be nervous about..  

Truth is that the world is a much scarier place in our minds than it is in reality...  we tend to dream up the worst things that can happen and spend lives running from that....   if you are really worried about physically protecting yourself and your child, I would really recommend taking a personal safety course where professional people can show you ways to protect yourself from most things....   the ultimate protection I guess would be some kinds of weapons, but that route still takes training and one has to be extra careful with any kind of weapons around children....     My wife who has M. S. took a self defense class a few years ago and learned how to use her cane as a weapon to protect her from most people who would harm her.  She hasn't hit me with the thing yet, but I would not look forward to the experience....   she understands how to make it not worth your while to mess with her and that's pretty much what most people need.

If you are concerned about safety at home, we put in an ADT security system....   that way if someone breaks into the house that thing calls the police and what we have to do is hide till they get to our house....     Where we live that is from three to five minutes...    and it protects the house while we are gone also.   It is very helpful when you get home to know that there isn't anyone in the house waiting for you to get home.

some people might suggest a hand gun, but you should pray about that and give much thought about it....   it sounds like a good fix for fear, but in reality it can just bring on a whole different set of problems.  Fearful people should never ever carry any kind of a gun....   There is more danger of getting yourself in trouble with it than one can think unless one has done a lot of training....     

Ultimately you need to pray about it and ask the Lord what he would have you to do.

Those are great ideas. I definitely want to take classes and plan to before i leave home. In addition to classes and a security system.. Ill have one of my dogs.. He's small so he'll be a watch dog and I'll protect everyone.

• Thumbs Up 1