• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

I just now came across current news information and have a question. We've had locust invasions and the like, but this is something a little different. They're known as, cicadas. Odd looking winged creatures and apparently returning after a seventeen year absence. A snippet of Fox News says cicadas can pose risk factors to vineyards, orchards, and ornamental trees. That didn't sound good. But that's Fox for you. Who knows if they have anything accurate?  On a biblical standpoint, does this have any significance of something pertaining to prophesy? Or is it nothing of importance? They look potentially sinister. Thanks. I'm very curious. 

17-year cicadas are about to invade the East Coast – BGR

https://bgr.com/2020/04/15/science-news-cicadas-brood-ix-2020

Cicadas on a 17-year life cycle will emerge from the ground in several states this spring. After spending 17 years underground, the bugs will crawl up, perch on trees, and transition to winged adults.

thPSBL3YOU.jpg.46a921858d700ad8b45032fae6a97e2d.jpg

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,405
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

I grew up in a place that had cicadas. Spending most of their life underground and periodically coming up to reproduce is typical of them. It's probably nothing significant unless there's a bigger than usual volume of them. It'll probably be annoying and they can definitely chow down on stuff but their above ground lifespan is so short that it keeps them from being anything worse than a minor nuisance.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AnOrangeCat said:

I grew up in a place that had cicadas. Spending most of their life underground and periodically coming up to reproduce is typical of them. It's probably nothing significant unless there's a bigger than usual volume of them. It'll probably be annoying and they can definitely chow down on stuff but their above ground lifespan is so short that it keeps them from being anything worse than a minor nuisance.

Ah. So these bugs are basically here and gone in a flash. So, nothing like locusts or anything that swarms of them could do much other than mass consumption, then go back underground for another seventeen years. They do look a bit menacing though. Thanks!

Edited by BeauJangles

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,769
  • Content Per Day:  1.02

Regular 17 cycle of Cicadas on the East Coast is nothing biblical, but the apocalyptic size locust swarms over Africa due to increased global warming is.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

10 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

I just now came across current news information and have a question. We've had locust invasions and the like, but this is something a little different. They're known as, cicadas. Odd looking winged creatures and apparently returning after a seventeen year absence. A snippet of Fox News says cicadas can pose risk factors to vineyards, orchards, and ornamental trees. That didn't sound good. But that's Fox for you. Who knows if they have anything accurate?  On a biblical standpoint, does this have any significance of something pertaining to prophesy? Or is it nothing of importance? They look potentially sinister. Thanks. I'm very curious. 

Cicadas on a 17-year life cycle will emerge from the ground in several states this spring. After spending 17 years underground, the bugs will crawl up, perch on trees, and transition to winged adults.

Where I grew up in New York State would be cicadas, and they recur periodically, but are not locusts, so no. :)

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, luigi said:

Regular 17 cycle of Cicadas on the East Coast is nothing biblical, but the apocalyptic size locust swarms over Africa due to increased global warming is.

4 minutes ago, Billiards Ball said:

Where I grew up in New York State would be cicadas, and they recur periodically, but are not locusts, so no. :)

Thanks, bros. From the picture you gotta admit, they do look kinda mean! 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  839
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

this is the first time I've heard about this bug,  bleck :(  it doesn't sound too nice if it ruins crops have you tried spraying your garden???

1 hour ago, DDisconnect said:

As others have said, this is just an temporary nuisance. Many bug species have very small lifespans. Stuff like moths typically have one week to two week long lives. In fact, the organism with the shortest lifespan on earth is the mayfly - many species of mayfly only live for a day, and the remaining few die within a few hours. These cicadas are newly born from the ground after 17 years and will be present for about 5 to 6 weeks before laying down new eggs underground and dying.

Thanks for the info and taking the time to respond, bro. Perhaps I watch to many sci-fi movies! haha! 

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 5/20/2020 at 4:10 AM, BeauJangles said:

It has nothing to with end times.