• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,255
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 8/18/2020 at 11:42 PM, bderbider said:

Wanted to ask if you think reading the Bible in Hebrew and Greek is necessary to be a serious student of the Bible.

Don't really know the answer to that, but I reckon there have been a bazillion saved who couldn't speak, or read, English.
I believe we are blessed to have those bookworm/nerds who are really gifted to understand ancient foreign languages, like Greek and Hebrew.
Perhaps better equipped 'watchmen' to counter the false prophets/teachers leading others astray with false "new discovered revelations"
Many many years back I purchased a Greek and English interlinear, and a Hebrew study guide.
I would use them, compare exact word definitions, even with those cute squiggly letters paralleling English and/or Hebrew.
After so many frustrating years researching, I found no cause for spending so much time worrying about what possible mistakes the scholars had made.
I struggled with English diagram sentences in high school, and Greek and Hebrew was just too 'Greek"
I know enough to sow seeds of life, how to conduct myself in my walk, how to get right with God when I don't.
It was fun for awhile seeking new nuggets of truth I could share, just to find out every body else already knew them for years.
I do not use all the gifts, tools, understanding, blessings, opportunities, etc God has blessed me with already.
Can see no reason to ask Him for more tools of understanding when I do not use fully what I have.
However, I do know enough to how to share the truth I do know, planting seeds of truth, and for me, that is better than more tools.

"Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great,
but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest,
that he would send forth labourers into his harvest"

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,217
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

For me no matter where I talk.. yes one should know how it "bible" was org written.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

There is something to be said about losing something in the translation.

Philippians 2:6 (AV)
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

in the Greek: morphe theos huparchon: subsisting as God, never ceasing to be God.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

On 8/19/2020 at 5:48 AM, DDisconnect said:

I once got into an arguement with a muslim fellow who claimed he knew Hebrew and that my lack of knowledge of it meant I knew nothing of what I was talking about and that the scriptures had been twisted.

I know what you mean. It used to be when Jehovah's Witnesses came to the door, I would always talk with them. Sometimes one would say "well in the Greek is says . . . ". I keep a Greek only New Testament. near the door. When one brings up Greek I say, well, let's have a look at that, and open to that passage. Then I ask, would you care to read that to me? Of course they say "I do not read Greek!" To that I say something like:

"Well, if you do not read Greek, then you really do not know what it says, do you, only what someone told you it says! So tell you what, why don't we stick to a language we both have in common, and see what we can learn from that?"

It throws them a bit of stride, breaks the momentum of their canned monologue. Usually we have a good cordial conversation, and they know enough not to try to pul the wool over my eyes. There is one visiting me regularly now, or was until the Covid 19 thing. I like him a lot, I know he means well, and when he comes, it is more of a "What do you think about this passage?" kind of relationship, he no longer attempts to be the teacher with me, and that changes the whole dynamic. I admit though, that I have yet to lead a JW to Christ, but I think I have been able to sow some doubts in their minds about the Watchtower, that is a start, a seed, that may produce fruit down the road.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

On 8/19/2020 at 6:53 AM, CaptWalker said:

Well not sure exactly how the previously mentioned self-defense/martial arts analogy is related to learning languages, but maybe i missed something there?

Sorry about that, all I meant to say is that sometimes a little knowledge is enough to give you confidence that exceeds your abilities, and that can lead you to some problems that could be avoided with a more realistic self assessment.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

21 hours ago, Josheb said:

What would be an example of mistranslated that could not be addressed or resolved by consulting two or three English translations comparatively?

Fair point. And of course that's we should all do. But not everyone understands English. In even good translations into German, faith and belief are the same word. Or take Chinese Bibles. Culturally, the consider dragons to be good things, to be honoured. Now go to Revelations... 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Omegaman off duty said:

I know what you mean. It used to be when Jehovah's Witnesses came to the door, I would always talk with them. Sometimes one would say "well in the Greek is says . . . ". I keep a Greek only New Testament. near the door. When one brings up Greek I say, well, let's have a look at that, and open to that passage. Then I ask, would you care to read that to me? Of course they say "I do not read Greek!" To that I say something like:

I challenged on one "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God". In the Greek, that last "the" isn't present, but if you know NT Greek, it's implied. But he knew it wasn't there. 

It's sad, but I've never managed to get through to a JW.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 8/18/2020 at 9:42 PM, bderbider said:

Wanted to ask if you think reading the Bible in hebrew and greek is necessary to be a serious student of the Bible. We've been doing bible study with emphasis on clarity and not needing to rely on translation but on the true meaning and intent behind the verses. I wanted to hear your thoughts. I've done bible study so far with some big names, like lifeway, biblestudyforall.org, some recommended by biblegateway.comm... it's been quite a journey. What has been your experience or what's been the advice you've been given? 

The primary reason for translating the bible into any known language was for the purpose of understanding it. This is to comprehend His word well enough to find salvation and know the Lord's will accordingly. This means a simple man of equally simplistic faith can dedicate enough determination to contemplate upon the concepts of it. While it is an advantage knowing some words, terms, and phrases in Greek and Hebrew for further clarity, it isn't mandatory to do so. Reputable online sources are a definite plus factor and good commentaries are also available. 

16 hours ago, Josheb said:

Millions were saved without ever reading a Bible!

Amen to that!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,135
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

On 8/19/2020 at 12:13 AM, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Most of the time, the best self defense for these people would have been to train to outrun and attacker, just my opinion.

it is much easier to get proficient with a .357 than martial arts.   just don't let one get closer that 10 feet from you.

49 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Millions were saved without ever reading a Bible!

Amen to that!

Would it be inappropriate to say #metoo?  I did not grow up in a Christian family. Neither did my wife. We really knew nothing other than we wanted to follow Jesus when we were saved. And we got saved before we became a couple.

• Loved it! 1