what is better.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  0

Which is better, one who goes to church every Sunday or one who spends much time personally with  Jesus alone? Which one is more likely to be truly Born again?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

38 minutes ago, Mike Mclees said:

Which is better, one who goes to church every Sunday or one who spends much time personally with  Jesus alone? Which one is more likely to be truly Born again?

First of all going to Church is not a salvation issue. If the person who goes to Church every Sunday is not saved then the person who is saved and a born again Christian and has a daily personal relationship with Christ is the better option. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,252
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The closer a heart is to God the more you will find them doing all that God has asked of them in His Word...

• Well Said! 2

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  1

Both should be part of the life of a believer. Is there a something behind the question?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

1) Better than either is the person who does both.

2) Obviously it's possible to attend church regularly and yet not be born again. On the other hand, it's hard to imagine someone spending a lot of time with Jesus without being born again (although Judas managed it). So the answer to your second question - statistically - is "the person who spends time with Jesus".

But it doesn't follow that attending church is somehow less important - let alone an optional extra. We are born again into the family of God, and if our faith is genuine we won't be able to ignore our brothers and sisters for long.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,206
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  99

The Lord doesn't dwell in structures that men build, He dwells in the hearts of His people. Therefore church attendance is a moot issue because making a regular appearance in a building to sit, stand, sit, sing, and sit is meaningless when the real question should be, "What will You have me do, Lord?" No matter where we are, the Lord will join us with brethren. He brings brothers and sisters into my life with a regularity.  

As for spending time with the Lord, this is another moot issue because those who belong to Jesus Christ are always with Him, and He is always with us no matter where we go (Matthew 28:20). Following the Lamb is not something one does after they've said goodbye to their family; we belong to Him and so we offer ourselves as living sacrifices to Him. 

The harvest field is where we serve so wherever we happen to be, that's the harvest field. I've never understood the pew mentality. We serve the Lord at all times and are with Him at all times. There's no other way. :) 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

5 hours ago, Mike Mclees said:

I suspect the Lord would encourage you to go to church.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

13 hours ago, Mike Mclees said:

Sounds like someone wants a reason not to attend church.

Christians are part of a family, a community, they are to encourage one another and this cannot be done in isolation..

An old old illustration.

What burns hotter and longer, a burning coal in the fire or one away from the fire on the hearth?

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,225
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On 5/17/2021 at 1:39 AM, Mike Mclees said:

Hi Mike,

Actually the `church` is the called out ones, the Body of Christ made up of believers. The `church` you are talking about is a public meeting put on by a religious organisation. The format is a lecture type and not how the early believers met. 

Also remember the Lord said to `Go, make disciples, teaching them...` He didn`t say `Go, make meetings.` Though with the great emphasis upon the public meetings you would think the Lord meant that. 

So...believers are the Church, the Ekklesia, the called out ones, from Israel and the nations. 

The religious organisation, the structure actually is usurping the authority of the Head, Christ. It is giving people positions that enable them to `lord it over` other believers. The organisation makes out that people who do not attend their public meetings are either backslidden or in rebellion. And to make matters worse these religious organisations are partnering more and more with the world system.

I have appreciated going to meetings in the past, but more and more I see that they are taking over responsibilities that the believer should be doing - listening to the Lord, hearing God for themselves from His word, discipling, giving monetary & other types of help to specific people in need, etc etc. 

Time to refocus - holding fast to the Head, Christ. (Col. 2: 19) For to be an overcomer, it is IN CHRIST ALONE WE STAND.

regards, Marilyn.   

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,884
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

"Going to church" can be done without being close to God. Personal experience talking. God only awakened my heart to real salvation five years ago, long after I had become physically unable to attend. I am far closer to him now than before. Seeing the growth in wisdom and faith and obedience that has happened with daily prayer and Bible study has been tremendous. Christianity is a relationship with God. The Bible is his word, how he speaks to us. Prayer is how we speak to him. If you're not speaking with someone, how can you have a relationship with them?

"And let us consider how to stir one another up, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near." -- Hebrews 10:24-25

I can't help but notice that the verse is somewhat vague. Meet together where? For how long? With how many people? It does not say. I also notice the "but," indicating that "encouraging one another" is the opposite of "neglecting to meet together." It makes sense; at the time, how could you encourage one another without meeting them? But modern technology does allow for that, and what a gift from God that is, for all of us, and especially for disabled people like me!

• Thumbs Up 1