• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/15/1968

I was always told in the "Christian Bible Group"  (cult as I later discovered and left) that the King James Version was the "only true and accurate version of the Bible."  However, I have seen many other versions out and about in the world (NIV, NKJV, etc. etc.) and have heard from various pastors/preachers what version they use, and unfortunately some use a version that, quite frankly, seems watered down (not sure which version(s) it is).  My question to the masses for my understanding is this:  What versions are really better?  Or are there versions that are more heretical because of they were made to be more "politically correct?"

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  165
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

All translations or versions as you call them are diluted/watered down simply because they are that. They are translations. To answer your question the original Bible is the best which is written in Hebrew. All the versions are translations from that original writing or more accurately scrolls. Whenever you translate from one language to another you lose meaning. For example when translated into Greek the translators use a Greek word that they deem to be most suitable or closest to the word they are translating from. 

Modern English is several if not more translations down the line from original Hebrew scriptures. We have a very diluted translation of the original. English is like watching a sketchy black and white show. Hebrew is like watching HD 3d full colour. Put it another way English is like a photo on a postcard, Hebrew is being at the place where the photo was taken. There are English translations that try and be literal for example the Youngs Literal Bible, there are others that incorporate the names and places in Hebrew for example the Complete Jewish Bible. Then there are those that just try and make it easier for us to read but in order to do that so much of the original meanings get lost. In Hebrew there are many idioms.

Here is a problem just because you translate one word or phrase into another language word for word does not mean you can convey the meaning of that word or phrase accurately for example. I could say "it's raining cats and dogs" now where I am from that means it is pouring rain or raining heavily. I could translate that same phrase into Japanese using their words to match the phrase but that does not convey the meaning. They might read that literally and think it really does rain cats and dogs.

This happens more than you may know. So to answer your question what is the best version, well that is the Hebrew Bible. Unless one is willing to learn Hebrew, the idioms and many nuances of the language you will be reading a watered down version and in some cases a deliberate changing of words and the meaning of words to suit an agenda which is sad but true. What also comes into play is learning and understanding the culture our Bibles were written in which was the Ancient Hebrew Middle Eastern culture which was very different from our own modern 21st century culture, and we can tend to get caught in the trap of reading Yahweh's word from this perspective which will cause one to err. 

Remember the Bible is still the number 1 selling book in the world, with that comes $$$$ and many publishers rather than accuracy will simply print what they think sells. They go to Bible seminaries and survey Pastors whenever a new Bible is to be made to see what they like or what's easier to read. In the end what will sell.

If you want to understand the Bible more accurately well then one needs to put in the hard yards and endeavor to learn these ways if not, well you need to listen to those that do and learn from them. I use at least 10 versions when studying which include several English versions which include Complete Jewish Bible and Young's Literal Translation, must include Hebrew, Greek and an Aramaic version like the targums and peshitta.

If I can be of any assistance you can private message me and I can send you a website and email address as unfortunately I cannot post them here as that upsets many people as they think it is self promotion. But I am more than happy to help.

Shalom

Edited by Ancient
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,051
  • Content Per Day:  3.32

3 hours ago, hmh said:

I was always told in the "Christian Bible Group"  (cult as I later discovered and left) that the King James Version was the "only true and accurate version of the Bible."  However, I have seen many other versions out and about in the world (NIV, NKJV, etc. etc.) and have heard from various pastors/preachers what version they use, and unfortunately some use a version that, quite frankly, seems watered down (not sure which version(s) it is).  My question to the masses for my understanding is this:  What versions are really better?  Or are there versions that are more heretical because of they were made to be more "politically correct?"

The Lord, in His wisdom, left us TWO main sets of manuscripts. (i) Those written in the common Greek called Koin Greek - and which were passed down through the Churches ... and copied by hand. (ii) Those written in classic Greek and which were kept locked up in the library in Alexandria, Egypt.

Then, in His wisdom, He allowed the Hebrew Old Testament to be translated in Greek about 300 years before Christ by 70 of the best scholars of the that time. the original is called the "Masoretic text" and the Greek copy is called the "Septuagint". After Christ's death it is reported that the Jews tried to change some things in the Masoretic text, but the Dead Sea scrolls showed the Septuagint to be true.

Then, in man's lack of wisdom, some translator took upon themselves the task of not only translating the exact words, but made themselves into expositors and translated scripture not literally, but as they thought God meant. the literal translations are called that while the translations whose translator thought they could improve on God's words, are called "dynamic translations"

So the student of scripture is faced with FOUR possibilities:

1. A Literal Translation using the "Received Text"
  2. A Literal Translation using the "Alexandrian Text"
  3. A choice between Masoretic Old Testament, or Septuagint
  4. A Dynamic Translation where the translators write what they think God meant

If you have time, study the first three. If you have money enough, get three more books; (i) Strong's Exhaustive Concordance and Dictionary, (ii) Vine's Expository Dictionary, and (iii) The Interlinear Bible. If you are short of money and time, get the "New King James Bible". It is a literal translation with the mistakes of the King James corrected. It uses the Received Text but most have margins showing the differences.

May the Lord bless your efforts.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

2 hours ago, AdHoc said:

The Lord, in His wisdom, left us TWO main sets of manuscripts. (i) Those written in the common Greek called Koin Greek - and which were passed down through the Churches ... and copied by hand. (ii) Those written in classic Greek and which were kept locked up in the library in Alexandria, Egypt.

Then, in His wisdom, He allowed the Hebrew Old Testament to be translated in Greek about 300 years before Christ by 70 of the best scholars of the that time. the original is called the "Masoretic text" and the Greek copy is called the "Septuagint". After Christ's death it is reported that the Jews tried to change some things in the Masoretic text, but the Dead Sea scrolls showed the Septuagint to be true.

Then, in man's lack of wisdom, some translator took upon themselves the task of not only translating the exact words, but made themselves into expositors and translated scripture not literally, but as they thought God meant. the literal translations are called that while the translations whose translator thought they could improve on God's words, are called "dynamic translations"

So the student of scripture is faced with FOUR possibilities:

1. A Literal Translation using the "Received Text"
  2. A Literal Translation using the "Alexandrian Text"
  3. A choice between Masoretic Old Testament, or Septuagint
  4. A Dynamic Translation where the translators write what they think God meant

If you have time, study the first three. If you have money enough, get three more books; (i) Strong's Exhaustive Concordance and Dictionary, (ii) Vine's Expository Dictionary, and (iii) The Interlinear Bible. If you are short of money and time, get the "New King James Bible". It is a literal translation with the mistakes of the King James corrected. It uses the Received Text but most have margins showing the differences.

May the Lord bless your efforts.

These references and bibles can be found for free in places like biblegateway, esword etc. Just thought I would put it out there for those reading this thread. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Days Won:  5

I would say read the version you understand best, and count on the helper God sends to help us understand.

““I will send you the Helper from the Father. The Helper is the Spirit of truth who comes from the Father. When he comes, he will tell about me. And you will tell people about me too, because you have been with me from the beginning.”
‭‭John‬ ‭15:26-27‬ 

“Let me assure you, it is better for you that I go away. I say this because when I go away I will send the Helper to you. But if I did not go, the Helper would not come. “When the Helper comes, he will show the people of the world how wrong they are about sin, about being right with God, and about judgment. He will prove that they are guilty of sin, because they don’t believe in me. He will show them how wrong they are about how to be right with God. The Helper will do this, because I am going to the Father. You will not see me then.”
‭‭John‬ ‭16:7-10‬ ‭

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

11 hours ago, hmh said:

the King James Versioned

You have to read the Bible in the original language. The King James is the best translation but it leaves a lot to be desired. For example people say that adam and eve sowed leaves form the fig tree to make clothing. They made clothing back then the same way they do today. They spin the fiber into thread and weave the thread into cloth and sow the cloth to make clothing. The fiber from the fig tree is more for decoration. So God gave them clothing that was warmer and more durable. 

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

7 hours ago, Josheb said:

side from that, they all have their strengths and their weaknesses because they are trying to translate from ancient very nuanced languages into the much more blunt language of English.

Wow. such self control. I too resisted calling out the errors, lol!

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

14 hours ago, hmh said:

My question to the masses for my understanding is this:  What versions are really better?  Or are there versions that are more heretical because of they were made to be more "politically correct?"

This does not directly answer your specific concern, but you night find it helpful anyway:

1223193013_GW-Bible-translation-guide-AUG18_030650a7-fcaa-48c9-8ee6-d98b11bbd203_1024x10241.png.5951117c24e85717686b0846a235b848.png

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Content Per Day:  2.43
  • Days Won:  11

Consider the fact that some Bible translations corrupt the "Word of God.”  The original King James 1611 version, for example, states:

2 Timothy 2:15:  “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”

The NIV (New International Version) of the same verse says: “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.”

Notice that there is no mention that the Word of God needs to be both studied and divided correctly.

Now, let’s look at the New Revised Standard version.  It says: “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved by him, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly explaining the word of truth.”

Again, there’s no mention of "The Word" needing to be studied and rightly divided.

Another example is Isaiah 7:14.  The King James 1611 says:

Isaiah 7:14  “Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.”

The New Revised Standard changes the word “virgin” to “the young woman,” totally ignoring the most important thing, which is the miraculous virgin conception.  Check it out:

Isaiah 7:14 NRSV “Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign.  Look, the young woman is with child and shall bear a son, and shall name him Immanuel.”

It truly does matter which version of the Bible you choose to read.

Selah.

Edited by Selah7
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,491
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I have had the small print copy for years now. Rather than blather the history, which manuscripts, etc. You can get a free copy at the following web address. It is a wonderful accurate little booklet packed with information answering your questions if you are interested.

http://www.stewartonbibleschool.org/

The questions you asked and more, I've asked myself too. The Lord promised to preserve His Word for all of eternity, where and how? Were the originals and following precise copies of the manuscripts too difficult for laypeople to understand? Why so many versions and translations, especially since the late 1800s? Was the best-selling Book of all time turned into a cash cow? 

Which versions-translations of the Bible are copyrighted, and what does that mean and entail for the accuracy of the original manuscripts? Would God be pleased with the copyright restrictions of freely sharing His word, and charging royalties to share His written word?

• Thumbs Up 1