IGNORED

Why does The Holy Spirit snatch Philip away immediately after Philip shares The Gospel with the Ethiopian Bureaucrat Eunuch Government Official?

bartmac123

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  453
  • Topics Per Day:  0.32
  • Content Count:  522
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

Acts 8:34-40

New American Standard Bible 1995

34 The eunuch answered Philip and said, “Please tell me, of whom does the prophet say this? Of himself or of someone else?” 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him. 36 As they went along the road they came to some water; and the eunuch *said, “Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized?” 37 [[a]And Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”] 38 And he ordered the chariot to stop; and they both went down into the water, Philip as well as the eunuch, and he baptized him. 39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away; and the eunuch no longer saw him, [c]but went on his way rejoicing. 40 But Philip [d]found himself at [e]Azotus, and as he passed through he kept preaching the gospel to all the cities until he came to Caesarea.

It's interesting to note that the meeting between Philip and the Ethiopian Bureaucrat Eunuch Government Official was quite brief because it was immediately after Philip shared The Gospel that The Holy Spirit snatched Philip away. Does it have something to do with Popular / pop psychology?

(Also, as an Interesting Side Note: (Acts 8:26-40) narrative gives credibility to supporters of Short-term Christian missionary work because some Short-term Christian missionary work critics complain that short-term missionary work does Not allow Christian missionaries enough time to gradually develop a strong relationship with NonChristian people who need the Gospel.)

Edited by bartmac123

34 The eunuch answered Philip and said, “Please tell me, of whom does the prophet say this? Of himself or of someone else?” 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him. 36 As they went along the road they came to some water; and the eunuch *said, “Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized?” 37 [[a]And Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”] 38 And he ordered the chariot to stop; and they both went down into the water, Philip as well as the eunuch, and he baptized him. 39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away; and the eunuch no longer saw him, [c]but went on his way rejoicing. 40 But Philip [d]found himself at [e]Azotus, and as he passed through he kept preaching the gospel to all the cities until he came to Caesarea.

It's interesting to note that the meeting between Philip and the Ethiopian Bureaucrat Eunuch Government Official was quite brief because it was immediately after Philip shared The Gospel that The Holy Spirit snatched Philip away. Does it have something to do with Popular / pop psychology?

(Also, as an Interesting Side Note: (Acts 8:26-40) narrative gives credibility to supporters of Short-term Christian missionary work because some Short-term Christian missionary work critics complain that short-term missionary work does Not allow Christian missionaries enough time to gradually develop a strong relationship with NonChristian people who need the Gospel.)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.36
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  7.13
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

28 minutes ago, bartmac123 said:

Mark 16:20 And they went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them and

confirming the word through the accompanying signs. Amen.

29 minutes ago, bartmac123 said:

I have never heard of this conflict of opinion. On his missionary journeys, Paul spent 18 months in Corinth, and 2 years in Ephesus, while other stops were fairly brief. By introducing the truth of Christ Jesus to someone who is clearly a believer and worshiper of the God of Israel, the Holy Spirit accomplishes the task of sending an ambassador to a region where we now know live colonies of Jews who have lived there since pre-Rabbinic times.

https://cnewa.org/magazine/origins-of-ethiopias-black-jews-30374/

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,943
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

7 hours ago, bartmac123 said:

Act 8:39-40  And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.  (40)  But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea.

From start to finish Philip's assignment to the Ethiopian eunuch was the Holy Spirit's work. Philip was the vessel through which the Holy Spirit did what was required. There was no need for Philip to linger once the eunuch was baptised. 

Imagine the joy of the eunuch at being blessed firstly to have the position of treasurer to Queen candace, secondly to have possession of an expensive scroll containing the Scriptures that God inspired Isaiah to produce, thirdly to have Philip available to explain the Scriptures, fourthly to be near enough water to be baptised in, and fifthly to witness the power of the Holy Spirit in transporting Philip instantly from their location.

Not a hint of pop-psychology involved but absolutely, totally, a whole lot of God's Grace.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

2 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

Act 8:39-40  And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.  (40)  But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea.

From start to finish Philip's assignment to the Ethiopian eunuch was the Holy Spirit's work. Philip was the vessel through which the Holy Spirit did what was required. There was no need for Philip to linger once the eunuch was baptised. 

Imagine the joy of the eunuch at being blessed firstly to have the position of treasurer to Queen candace, secondly to have possession of an expensive scroll containing the Scriptures that God inspired Isaiah to produce, thirdly to have Philip available to explain the Scriptures, fourthly to be near enough water to be baptised in, and fifthly to witness the power of the Holy Spirit in transporting Philip instantly from their location.

Not a hint of pop-psychology involved but absolutely, totally, a whole lot of God's Grace.  

Hi Michael,

Very good question and quite interesting. It was God`s purpose for the gospel to go not only to Israel but also to the Gentiles. And there we have the 3 descendants of Noah.

Shem - Israel.

Ham - Ethiopian.

Japeth - Cornelius. 

Amazing.

• Loved it! 1

9 hours ago, Mr. M said:

Mark 16:20 And they went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them and

confirming the word through the accompanying signs. Amen.

I have never heard of this conflict of opinion. On his missionary journeys, Paul spent 18 months in Corinth, and 2 years in Ephesus, while other stops were fairly brief. By introducing the truth of Christ Jesus to someone who is clearly a believer and worshiper of the God of Israel, the Holy Spirit accomplishes the task of sending an ambassador to a region where we now know live colonies of Jews who have lived there since pre-Rabbinic times.

https://cnewa.org/magazine/origins-of-ethiopias-black-jews-30374/

I'd like to propose a Popular / pop psychology perspective.

I suppose the saying "focusing on the message instead of focusing ( in a positive sense, idolizing/worshipping Or in a negative sense, being angry at ) the messenger" is relevant.

I don't know if others have experienced this before. However, If I meet

-"a stranger who yells at me for doing something wrong like cutting them off in traffic, and then just drives on"

Or

-"a preacher shouting out "(Deuteronomy 3:22)Do Not be afraid of them; the Lord your God himself will fight for you." while I'm rushing to an office morning meeting that I'm late for"

then it usually makes me focus on the message , and Not the messenger.

3 hours ago, bartmac123 said:

I'd like to propose a Popular / pop psychology perspective.

I suppose the saying "focusing on the message instead of focusing ( in a positive sense, idolizing/worshipping Or in a negative sense, being angry at ) the messenger" is relevant.

I don't know if others have experienced this before. However, If I meet

-"a stranger who yells at me for doing something wrong like cutting them off in traffic, and then just drives on"

Or

-"a preacher shouting out "(Deuteronomy 3:22)Do Not be afraid of them; the Lord your God himself will fight for you." while I'm rushing to an office morning meeting that I'm late for"

then it usually makes me focus on the message , and Not the messenger.

Feel free to propose whatever you want, but don't expect consensus of agreement.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,033
  • Content Per Day:  3.33

On 11/28/2022 at 4:06 PM, bartmac123 said:

I won't pretend to know God's reason, but can surmise that Philip's job was done and his talent was needed elsewhere. But there is an interesting fact that is often overlooked.

When a man is converted, usually his evangelist must continue his work, which is outside the Church. The new convert should be introduced to the Local Assembly and the Teacher and Pastor must take over in the meetings. This happened in the early Church. Somebody raised up a Church and relatively inexperienced men would take up the duties of Eldership, Pastor and Teacher. But the Church which has Paul for the shortest time turned out to be the best - that at Thessaloniki. Maybe there is a lesson there that a new convert should  be given freedom from those who would impose religion on him. I'm not saying that new convert should be left to his own devices, but overfeeding, especially new rules and regulations, can do more damage than a slow steady diet of the word.

If you look at this Forum, for instance, the hardest job is not to expound the truth. It's getting the wrong teaching out of a man. And where does he usually get that? I'll let you answer.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,117
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

On 11/28/2022 at 9:03 AM, bartmac123 said:

oes it have something to do with Popular / pop psychology?

I don't think so.   It was brief largely because the Ethiopian was in Jerusalem to worship and was reading in Isiah about Jesus.  An angel gave Phillip instructions to go to him so it seems obvious that He was more than ready to accept the gospel.  The whole thing has all the signs of direct work of the Holy Spirit.

My question is did the Holy Spirit zap Phillip over to Azotus, or were they just there from the Chariot ride.  We do not know how long they spent together.  Could have been hours.

10 minutes ago, other one said:

My question is did the Holy Spirit zap Phillip over to Azotus, or were they just there from the Chariot ride.  We do not know how long they spent together.  Could have been hours.

Act 8:39  And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

One fluid movement. Spirited away. Seen no more by the newest member of the body of Christ.