Lord´s discipline can be severe

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Jesus disciplines me very often. It is really painful. Jesus really knows how to punish me. It is severe. Sometimes severe, sometimes less severe. But i am thankful to Jesus that He disciplines me, so i can learn and be pleasing to Him, to do His will.

If you suffer a lot and you don´t know why, maybe Jesus is disciplining you. Ask Jesus and He will tell/show you. In His time and in His way. It is because He cares, it is out of love.

Hebrews 12:5-13

And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says,

“My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline,
    and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
because the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
    and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”[a]

Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! 10 They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. 11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

12 Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. 13 “Make level paths for your feet,”[b] so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed.

• Interesting! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,671
  • Content Per Day:  12.15
  • Days Won:  31

11 minutes ago, Jesus...my Lord and my God said:

Jesus disciplines me very often. It is really painful. Jesus really knows how to punish me. It is severe. Sometimes severe, sometimes less severe. But i am thankful to Jesus that He disciplines me, so i can learn and be pleasing to Him, to do His will.

If you suffer a lot and you don´t know why, maybe Jesus is disciplining you. Ask Jesus and He will tell/show you. In His time and in His way. It is because He cares, it is out of love.

And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says,

Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! 10 They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. 11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

12 Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. 13 “Make level paths for your feet,”[b] so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed.

Hi @Jesus...my Lord and my God John chapter 15 about being purged and abiding in the vine for fruitfulness is an apt passage also.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.51
  • Days Won:  1

The Lord's discipline can indeed be severe, but it is never unjust.

Keep in mind that a Shepard's rod and staff were often used to beat and drag sheep back into the flock when they strayed, and it was done our of care for the sheep, not anger against them.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,671
  • Content Per Day:  12.15
  • Days Won:  31

1 minute ago, FJK said:

The Lord's discipline can indeed be severe, but it is never unjust.

Keep in mind that a Shepard's rod and staff were often used to beat and drag sheep back into the flock when they strayed, and it was done our of care for the sheep, not anger against them.

"Perverse and foolish oft I strayed,

And yet in love He sought me,

And on His shoulder gently laid

And home rejoicing brought me."

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,075
  • Content Per Day:  3.29

5 hours ago, Jesus...my Lord and my God said:

I believe it was brother Robert Govett (1813-1901) that defined chastisement so well. It is when God lovingly makes the road we have chosen bitter.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,246
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

Hmm I have found over 55y in the lord when I get away from Him is when things go wrong and He had no hand in it at al. He did make me promises in His word what will happen when I keep His word. Do we truly understand what chastens means and discipline? Yes He does correct me and trains me. 2nd Samuel "when he does wrong". Yet we also have to take into account He GOD is a spirit He does not think like man. Yes here on this earth use a rod.. or say a belt or willow stick from grandmas tree or a nice thick board. 

My God has never in 55y ever treated me like that. So many times I have fallen and He is right there correcting me so much love and peace and.. telling me thats why He died. He is not like this world or any person in any way. He is not made in our image we are made in His

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  488
  • Content Per Day:  4.10
  • Days Won:  1

A greater measure of stubbornness will require a greater measure of sternness in correction.

Ask yourself while walking through a trial, " what do I need to learn and how fast can I learn it? What am I blinded to, due to my sin"?

Consider the reaping and sowing admonishments found in the Word. "What have I done to bring me to this place in life"? Or, "why are my choices always tainted"?

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  3,075
  • Content Per Day:  3.29

9 hours ago, TheBlade said:

Hmm I have found over 55y in the lord when I get away from Him is when things go wrong and He had no hand in it at al. He did make me promises in His word what will happen when I keep His word. Do we truly understand what chastens means and discipline? Yes He does correct me and trains me. 2nd Samuel "when he does wrong". Yet we also have to take into account He GOD is a spirit He does not think like man. Yes here on this earth use a rod.. or say a belt or willow stick from grandmas tree or a nice thick board. 

My God has never in 55y ever treated me like that. So many times I have fallen and He is right there correcting me so much love and peace and.. telling me thats why He died. He is not like this world or any person in any way. He is not made in our image we are made in His

No one can deny your experience, so it stands. You also live in the age of grace, which makes our walk with God easy, especially when we fail. He is the ever gracious, understanding, loving and gentle God. But, without giving the gory details, I've had some experiences that were "grievous". I admit straight off that I deserved them, and I even admit that I got off lightly compared to some of the Biblical recordings of God's chastising hand. I mean, imagine the fiery serpents among the Israelites or the searing of Korah and his hoard. I've hardly seen death so imagine 23,000 of God's chosen people dying in one day at His hand.

We can, and must, testify of God's longsuffering and goodness and mercy. But we should also have a healthy respect for His "rod of correction".

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  963
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,740
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,

..."Jesus answered and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes.  Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight.  All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.  Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,275
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

On 2/26/2024 at 10:09 AM, Jesus...my Lord and my God said:

Why on earth do you make that necessary???

• Thumbs Up 1