IGNORED

Why is the 'Church of Christ' sometimes called a cult?

graymousey

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

They are considered a cult because they maintain that baptism is a necessary requirement for salvation and that proper baptism must be by immersion in the Church of Christ. Such a teaching is false and dangerous because it effectively retains the keys to salvation and can use them to control and manipulate their church members. Nevertheless, they quote verses such as John 3:5 (see related paper) and Acts 2:38 (see related paper) as proof of their position. In so doing, they ignore the numerous Scriptures to teach us that salvation is by grace through faith (John 5:24; Acts 13:38-39; Gal. 2:16; 3:26; Rom. 3:24; 4:5; 5:1; 5:9;9:30; 10:10; Eph. 2:8; Phil. 3:9; etc.)

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

I went to a church of Christ church several times. I agreed with their doctrine except for you need to be baptized to be saved. The thief on the cross was not baptized and Jesus said that He would be with him in paradise. A person can get saved in a hospital, on his death bed, with no possibility of getting baptized, by accepting Jesus as Lord and repenting of sin.

Or in the middle of a desert with no water left, before he dies, he can get saved.

However, there is a scripture that says:

James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

In view of that, I was thinking that if a person knows that he should be baptized then he certainly should do it. Neglecting to do it may be considered sinful in view of James 4:17. You are saved by grace through faith, but you must also repent of sin.

You don't earn salvation by doing good works. Repenting is trying to NOT DO bad works. I decided that this doctrine that they have, about baptism, would probably prevent them from trying to save dying people because they could not get baptized. That doctrine therefore may have caused some to be lost who otherwise could have gotten saved.

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Note: It does not say, but he that is baptized not shall be damned. If that were true the thief on the cross should not have gone to paradise.

I don't care about not having music, that is just a personal preference.

But I don't think they had toilet facilities for the people to use. I actually heard one of the speakers bring up the question of whether or not they should have toilet facilities in the church.

The bible don't say anything about that one way or the other. But it seems to me that if they don't provide toilet facilities they will always have small congregations. I also think it is sort of uncharitable to not provide toilet facilities for the people.

Baptism shouldnot be confusing by using John Baptist's words avaiable in the 1526 Tyndale N.T (at faithofgod.net)

John 1:33 But he that sent me to baptise in water, said unto me: Upon whom thou shalt see the spirit descend, and tarry still on him, the same is he which baptiseth with the holy ghost.

34 And I saw it, and bare record, that this is the son of God.

Touchy a thing your baptism is, every church believes that it has the baptism, the zealous cult of Clvinism has it's (borrowed) infant doctrine, and those that baptize with John's baptism (Acts 1:5)

As for this church, they are just a sect, not a sect of sects, see divisions created through Christ's words causes the sects to seperate, yet they still believe that (they all) are brethren of the Lord with one faith, one Lord and one baptism.

1 Cor 11 18 First of all when ye come together in the congregation, I hear that there is dissension among you: And I partly believe it.

19 For there must be sects among you, that they which among you are perfect might be known.

As for each church's communion, it is a vain thing to symbolize God's word which is the body and th blood.

For each that enters therin with God's word and understands not, he eats and drinks unworthily.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

Basically because the Church of Christ has their own set of guild lines separate from the body of Christ. They do not use musical instruments even though the bible say to use musical instruments in the worship of God, because satan was a music minister. It doesn't matter to them that angels are harping harps 24 sevens in praise to God in heaven. They believe that it takes seven steps before one can be saved. The believe that miracles and the power of the Holy Spirit died out with the twelve apostles. They believe that they are the "Only Authorized by God Church of Christ" and that every other Christian who belongs to every other denomination is going to hell. They deny that they are a denomination but they get all of their pastors from the same source. I mean think about it. How is it that there is a Church of Christ in nearly every city both big and small in America with pastors that believe the same doctrines, but they are not a denomination?

They believe that the Lords prayer is obsolete and they brain wash their people so that they will never visit any other denominational church or listen to any other doctrinal teachings whether they be wrong or right doctrine. One can not find another more closed minded group of people.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

I wouldn't argue with you on that Ovedya, all though I never heard it or had it said to me by anybody who actually knew what they were talking about in the CoC, of course that may be cause I didn't give them the chance. My family on the other hand has done everything but had and exorcism (good thing CoC don't believe in those) for me. I am the black sheep of the family now :) and until I find a church where I actually feel Christ alive and working, ya'll are stuck with me! :thumbsup:

I guess what got my back up is..........well let me put it this way, if the name of this thread was Is the (insert your group here) a cult, every one of you would have felt the same way I did. I also don't think I deserved one of the insulting remarks made to me in this thread, but fruit of the Spirit right.

scarlet, i hope that you will reply to me as i just realized that my sister and brother-in-law attend a Church of Christ along with an uncle and aunt of mine. we attended one sunday when we visited them. i just assumed it was another denomination like baptist, methodist, etc. now i am confused with everyone talking about 2 different CoC's.

ok - to my point - it seemed a regular preaching, the difference was they do not believe in any musical instruments. they do sing but no piano, organ, nothing. **this may be helpful to the OP as it relates to a 'difference'** also - my uncle who attends has been telling my mother that she must go to church + give up smoking or she will go to hell (did he mean his church do you think?)

i felt uncomfortable answering my mother, thinking that he, being an older christian may know something i don't know but i did end up reassuring my mother that she would not go to hell for not going to church.

btw - after reading tm75's post, this particular CoC did have toilet facilities.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Basically because the Church of Christ has their own set of guild lines separate from the body of Christ. They do not use musical instruments even though the bible say to use musical instruments in the worship of God, because satan was a music minister. It doesn't matter to them that angels are harping harps 24 sevens in praise to God in heaven. They believe that it takes seven steps before one can be saved. The believe that miracles and the power of the Holy Spirit died out with the twelve apostles. They believe that they are the "Only Authorized by God Church of Christ" and that every other Christian who belongs to every other denomination is going to hell. They deny that they are a denomination but they get all of their pastors from the same source. I mean think about it. How is it that there is a Church of Christ in nearly every city both big and small in America with pastors that believe the same doctrines, but they are not a denomination?

They believe that the Lords prayer is obsolete and they brain wash their people so that they will never visit any other denominational church or listen to any other doctrinal teachings whether they be wrong or right doctrine. One can not find another more closed minded group of people.

:) thats the biggest bunch of tripe I've heard in a long time...............and let me add, considering many of your other post, thats saying something.................. :thumbsup:

One can not find another more closed minded group of people.
:o

Dear Brother

Oh No!

Closed Minded?

I Thought I Saw One Old Knucklehead Peeking Out From The Mirror This Morning! :wub:;):24:

Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves
Philippians 2:3

:)

These Folk Are Our Beloved Brothers And Sisters.

These Folk Are Our Family Saved By God Given Faith In Jesus The Messiah.

These Folk Are Cleaned By The Blood Of The Lamb Of God.

These Folk Are Sealed By The Spirit Of Truth.

Thank You Lord Jesus!

I Love Them So.

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
Ephesians 5:19

I Don't Believe John's Baptism Of Water Is Required For Salvation.

Some Of My Dear Brothers And Sisters In The Church Of Christ Can Even Forgive Me This Misunderstanding.

They Preach Jesus Christ And Him Crucified.

I Love These Folk Dearly.

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Romans 10:9-10

My Wife And I Give A Small Support To The New Ministry Of One Young Ex-sailor.

He Even Married The Preacher's Daughter In Their Little Country Church Of Christ.

Carol Says Girl Power!

I Say Go Navy! :):thumbsup::noidea:

Rick And I Met On-Line In Discussions With Moonies And Such.

We Also Discussed Water Baptism And The Baptism of The Spirit And Of Fire.

I Know My Lord Will Put Rick And His Wife Before His Throne Of Grace.

I Can Hardly Wait To Worship Face To Face With Those Two.

And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.
1 Thessalonians 5:13

I Do Believe Water Baptism Is Commanded.

I Know Water Baptism Can Be Serious Testimony.

In Certain Parts Of The World Water Baptism Is A Very Public Declaration Of Faith In The Lord Jesus Christ.

Sometimes The New Believer Will Suffer Persecution Because Of Their Public Show Of Faith.

Sometimes They Lose Family, Friends And Livelihood.

Sometimes They Lose Their Life.

Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.
Mark 8:38

The Mark Of The Christ - Love

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
John 13:35

Dear Brother, Thank You For Posting.

You May Wish To Consider The Power Of Words And The Grace Of God.

What A Wonder He Is.

Isn't He!

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them.

Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  543
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/15/1966

.........btw - after reading tm75's post, this particular CoC did have toilet facilities.

For those keeping score, that's at least two :)

• Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

:) from dam01

what about the ones that are pulling away from that old teaching

as hear wear i live the church of christ is very charasmatic and they do use musical instruments like my church does christian out reach center

and the one in canberra are also very charasmatic as well

the one in Armidale attends the combined prayer gatherings and praise and worship events hear and each church is asked to put out sevral songs they do in church for the praise and worhsip events that are held hear

as i play the guitar my self and the guys in the band hear at church of christ use hillsong stuff with in there own services as these guys decided to pull away from that old style teaching mind you it was hard for them as they got a lot of flack by some of the older members for making this bold move

i also agree that most stick to the old doctrine as when i have been invited to a prayer meeting i have had to be very sensative as i am very apostolic and i pray openly in our church but its just strange how some find how we pray in our prayer meetings offensevie

so i just thought i would aslo ad a little more imput hear on this topic alone

from damo1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

.........btw - after reading tm75's post, this particular CoC did have toilet facilities.

For those keeping score, that's at least two :)

Well I've attended about 20 different ones in my life, that ALL of them had them...........so I just upped the ante! :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  543
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/15/1966

For those keeping score, that's at least two :thumbsup:

Well I've attended about 20 different ones in my life, that ALL of them had them...........so I just upped the ante! :noidea:

I've been to 4 or 5 myself, and even the little country one - where they had a wood burning stove for warmth had indoor plumbing :)

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

"Onwards Christian solllldiers, maching on to war."

When I was only four. I went to sunday school at a CoC church. That's the first time I had heard about Jesus.

I'm with my brother Joe Frenzo...Leave them alone, they are brothers and sisters in our Lord.