childofthegreat_i_am

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

Does anyone know what scripture says about suicide?

Just been through a heavy experience with a very close friend and I am looking for what the Lord has to say about this

Thanks for any insight here

Blessings :emot-hug:

Hello hupo,

I am very sorry for your friend and what you must be going through as well. I know the struggles with suicide and I feel inadequate and like a hypocrite to even speak on the matter. Suicide is such a hard subject and to tell you the truth I don't believe I really know the answer to but I know when one gets to a place of hopelessness they can sink pretty low and deep into depression as a result of it and make a person "desire" to take their life.

I somehow found comfort in the scriptures where God didn't allow judgment that He had intended and was going to cause to come on Nineveh if they didn't repent. The prophet Jonah had obeyed God and went to Nineveh after running from God and finally when and preached and warned the people God's judgment was coming if they didn't repent. And the people of Nineveh repented before the Lord and because of it God's judgment didn't come.

Then Jonah gives in to his anger and wants just to die as Jonah said,

Jonah 4:3-4--"Death is better to me than life,"

Jonah was fussing and God responded to him "Do you have good reason to be angry?" What a question as Jonah by his preaching a whole city of Nineveh was saved and spared as a result of his obedience but yet he was blind by his own feelings.

I know that all we can do is offer "hope" to those around as it is a powerful thing and I think only God Himself knows the fate of those who go from this life to the next. All we can do is offer hope as God chose the foolishness of preaching to save the lost.

Again I am sincerly sorry for your loss.

blessings

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  07/12/1944

Does anyone know what scripture says about suicide?

Just been through a heavy experience with a very close friend and I am looking for what the Lord has to say about this

Thanks for any insight here

Blessings :whistling:

Hello hupo,

I am very sorry for your friend and what you must be going through as well. I know the struggles with suicide and I feel inadequate and like a hypocrite to even speak on the matter. Suicide is such a hard subject and to tell you the truth I don't believe I really know the answer to but I know when one gets to a place of hopelessness they can sink pretty low and deep into depression as a result of it and make a person "desire" to take their life.

I somehow found comfort in the scriptures where God didn't allow judgment that He had intended and was going to cause to come on Nineveh if they didn't repent. The prophet Jonah had obeyed God and went to Nineveh after running from God and finally when and preached and warned the people God's judgment was coming if they didn't repent. And the people of Nineveh repented before the Lord and because of it God's judgment didn't come.

Then Jonah gives in to his anger and wants just to die as Jonah said,

Jonah 4:3-4--"Death is better to me than life,"

Jonah was fussing and God responded to him "Do you have good reason to be angry?" What a question as Jonah by his preaching a whole city of Nineveh was saved and spared as a result of his obedience but yet he was blind by his own feelings.

I know that all we can do is offer "hope" to those around as it is a powerful thing and I think only God Himself knows the fate of those who go from this life to the next. All we can do is offer hope as God chose the foolishness of preaching to save the lost.

Again I am sincerly sorry for your loss.

blessings

Thanks OC, this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

But I have to apologize for being obscure about my friend.... It was touch and go for a month but he made it through and is back with us now. In fact, that is the main reason I'm looking for scripture. He doesn't know Yeshua and I feel the Lord wants me to "introduce" Himself to my friend. I don't trust my own words, and shouldn't anyway, so I am searching for God's word on the subject.

Thanks again, and blessings :thumbsup:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

God knows our hearts and minds better than we do.

Very true God knows people in way we cannot. It is impossible for someone to hide who they truly are from God. However, a friend of mine says he knows a man who is walking around with a 9 mm bullet in his brain. He tried to commit scuiside but it didn't work. Which in my opininon goes to show you, that God has control over eveything including life, and death.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

God knows our hearts and minds better than we do.

Very true God knows people in way we cannot. It is impossible for someone to hide who they truly are from God. However, a friend of mine says he knows a man who is walking around with a 9 mm bullet in his brain. He tried to commit scuiside but it didn't work. Which in my opininon goes to show you, that God has control over eveything including life, and death.

People do not go to hell if they commit suicide...Sorry to all those who believe otherwise. I saw my mom few times due to mental illness and demonic possesion. ( she hissed at me a lot) Her life is stll to be honored. One of her personalities accepted Christ I never saw her again within the last three years of her life. At the end the demond dismissed me!!! Can you beieve that yet I stayed and then I realized through my presence she was being moer tormented. Did she go to heaven....? I saay yes. Others would say no! Being around dying people I KNOW taht only GOD our FATHER is the author and finisher of our faith. He says Bring him/her home No one else. There is help out there and you are capable of going for it you are accountable to go get it also. :huh:

patricia

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

What a glorious TRUTH Judas Iscariot missed out on. He could have witnessed something that would have changed his life forever, IF ONLY he would have repented and had belief in the POWER OF ALMIGHTY GOD, to change circumstances tremendously. That is the common thread with every story of God's Great and Mighty Works, they came at a time when circumstances seemed hopeless, and He revealed these magnificent works to those who held fast in faith.

For any who contemplate the thought of suicide, I compel you to remember that God's Works, are so great that they overshadow the darkest dark there is, and to endure in belief, is the sweetest victory of all!

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

I sat down to have some lunch and thought that I would have a look on these boards as I ate. What I didn't expect to find was this thread. Wow! Hard-hitting words from some of you! :taped:

It has certainly made me think, but then I have probably done enough thinking about this subject already. Half-way through the thread, I did wonder if I would be foolish to carry on reading - Would it 'trigger' me? I wondered.

I kept on reading as this is a subject so close to my heart. I wanted to read what other people thought about this subject, especially in the context of a Christian committing suicide.

At the moment, I think about suicide on a daily basis and I fight these thoughts every day. I believe that suicide is wrong because it is murder, but that it is also 'just' a sin like any other sin. What I mean by that statement is that I don't think that it is a worse sin than other sins.

I don't like to think that I will go to hell if I commit suicide. I agree that I will die with unrepentant sin, but then I guess that most Christians die with unrepentant sin. I do however believe that it is an awful thing to do and that it obviously does not bring glory to God in any shape or form. I also believe that our bodies are the temple of God:

1 Corinthians 3:16

Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?

It seems to me so wrong to even consider destroying something which contains God's spirit.

Psalm 139:14 also says that:

"I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful." What I understand by this is that God thinks that I am wonderful. Why would I want to destroy something that is wonderful?

For me, I think that it is a matter of a lack of faith that drives me towards suicide. If I REALLY trusted God, would I really even be contemplating suicide? I suppose the honest answer to that is no! The phrase 'Oh ye of little faith' springs to mind.

Do I really believe EVERY promise that is in the Bible is for me? If I did, then Jeremiah 29:11 would offer me so much hope that my suicidal thoughts would be gone.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

For anyone who truly believes that they have a hope and a future provided by God, why would they even consider suicide? Why would I even consider it?

I suppose the answer to that is because I am too overcome with my present difficulties to be able to see beyond them.

Ummmm - I have gone full circle in my thinking because it is because of my present circumstances that I feel suicidal ... :emot-hug:

Maybe it is as simple as Tsth said in the last post - I need to hold on fast in my faith so that I will be able to see God's great and mighty work in my life, regardless of how hopeless the present situation is for me.

:emot-hug:

• Content Count:  16

Wanda, email me at janey_cobb@yahoo.com and I will help you in the ways I am able too. With every problem and temptation, God makes a way of escape so that we are able to bear it. May God give you the strength you need at this time and may His Peace which passes all ubderstanding be upon you.

Your sister in Christ,

Janey

"For if our heart condemns us,

God is greater than our heart,

and knows all things" (1 John 3:20).

"Oh give thanks unto the LORD, for He is good!

For His mercy endures forever" (Psalm 136:1)

:rolleyes::21::noidea:

I posted the following in The Universal Moral Law in response to a similar debate. It seems pertinent to repost it here.

Because we can never know what occurs in the few moments before death, preaching the Gospel is never wasted, even though it seems that at the time, the person to whom we speak has no interest or even totally denies Jesus. We can never know that such a small seed, maybe sown many years previously, may not be sufficient to provoke in a person on their deathbed, a memory of who Jesus is and what He has done, so that they call on the Lord to be saved. But if we never tell them, they cannot know.

I would like to thank everyone for their answers here... I was trying to cope with the loss of someone and unanswered questions.

I think I agree most with these two answers here and God has given me peace.....

God Bless you all!

:thumbsup::whistling:

:laugh::24::laugh:

• Content Count:  16

The social security will deny you twice, and then you can hire a lawyer who will push it through for you. Most disability cases require at least three things be wrong with you, and the more Dr's you have to prove your case the better. Please, email me and I will explain further in detail. janey_cobb@yahoo.com

God bless you,

Janey

"For if our heart condemns us,

God is greater than our heart,

and knows all things" (1 John 3:20).

"Oh give thanks unto the LORD, for He is good!

For His mercy endures forever" (Psalm 136:1)

:rolleyes::21::noidea:

I posted the following in The Universal Moral Law in response to a similar debate. It seems pertinent to repost it here.

Because we can never know what occurs in the few moments before death, preaching the Gospel is never wasted, even though it seems that at the time, the person to whom we speak has no interest or even totally denies Jesus. We can never know that such a small seed, maybe sown many years previously, may not be sufficient to provoke in a person on their deathbed, a memory of who Jesus is and what He has done, so that they call on the Lord to be saved. But if we never tell them, they cannot know.

I would like to thank everyone for their answers here... I was trying to cope with the loss of someone and unanswered questions.

I think I agree most with these two answers here and God has given me peace.....

God Bless you all!

:thumbsup::whistling:

:laugh::24::laugh:

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

What a glorious TRUTH Judas Iscariot missed out on. He could have witnessed something that would have changed his life forever, IF ONLY he would have repented and had belief in the POWER OF ALMIGHTY GOD, to change circumstances tremendously. That is the common thread with every story of God's Great and Mighty Works, they came at a time when circumstances seemed hopeless, and He revealed these magnificent works to those who held fast in faith.

For any who contemplate the thought of suicide, I compel you to remember that God's Works, are so great that they overshadow the darkest dark there is, and to endure in belief, is the sweetest victory of all!

In His Love,

Suzanne

I agree totally, well said Suzanne.