matthew4:4

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  421
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

If you choose to believe that being Slain in the Spirit isn't Biblical, that's between you and God.

So brother in Christ, AGAPPLE, I support you completely, even though I would rather not be involved in the processes known as 'slain in the spirit'.

That may yet become my calling. I don't think so, but nothing that Christ calls me to do in the future will be denied just because it has not been necessary for me to be involved with that - method - previously.

thank you, but I'm a chick, not a dude. :laugh::noidea: (don't worry bout it)

Sorry mate. I use that word in scriptural terms such as God made man, male and female made he them, but that is just my ignorance, like calling all and sundry guys, as we tend to in Australia, but and I apologise for my carelessness.

No offence intended, and it was great to have a sister in Christ understand that I was not intending to be disrespectful.

God bless you and keep you.

Bye,

Stan.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  305
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  11/12/1950

I've had many experiences over the years with those who promote the experience and this is the question I ask.

Does it glorify God?

And let's not forget that just because the word 'God' or 'Jesus' or 'spirit' is used and so-called supernatural things happen, that this is no evidence of God being glorified. In fact rather, I have seen evidence of the opposite.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

damo1

high matthew 4.4

its good to see that you are not like poor in spirit and you are reading what is being said in your topic and i thank you for allowing your fellow brothers and sisters to do this

ok this is the verse that got my attention

Acts 19

1 And it happend while apollos was at cornith that paul having passed through the upper regions

came to Ephesus and finding some disciples

2 he said to them did you receive the holy spirit when you believed ? so they said to him we have not

so much have heard whether their is a holy spirit

3 and he said to them into what then were you baptized ?so they said into johns baptisem

4 then paul said john indeed baptized with with a baptisem of repentance saying to the people that they

should believe on him who would come after him that is on christ jesus

5 when they heard this they were baptized in the name of the lord jesus

6 and when paul had layed hands on them the holy spirit came upon them and they spoke with toungues and

prophesied

Acts 2 comming of the holy spirit

1 when the day of penticost had fully come they were all with one accord in one place

2 and suddenly their came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind and it filled the whole house where they were sitting

3 then their appeard to them divided tongues as of fire and one sat upon each of them

4 and they were filled with the holy spirit and began to speak with other tongues as the spirit gave them utterance

Galations 2

19 for i through the law died to the law that i might live to God

20 i have been crucified with christ it is no longer i who live but Christ lives in me and the life i live

and the life which i know live in the flesh i live by faith in the son of god who loved me and gave

himself for me

21 i do not set aside the grace of god for if righteousness comes through the law then christ died in vain

Galations 5 walking in the spirit

16 i say then walk in the spirit and you shall not fullfill the lust of the flesh

17 for the flesh lusts against the spirit and the spirit against the flesh and these are contrary

to one another so that you do not do the things that you wish

18 but if you are led by the spirit you are not under the law

25 if we live in the spirit let us also walk in the spirit

26 let us not become conceited provoking one another envying one another

how i see this for my self you will see this in a diffrent light when i read the verses i gave you in acts 19 i asked the holy spirit to lead me to the truth of what i was reading as when i got baptized i was also prayed for and my pastor asked god to also bless my life and open me up to the truth of his word he also prayed that i have this gift passed on to me

well it happend and i was not forced or had some one forcing me to fall back wards i also was asked to lift my hands up to heaven and i felt this electricity and this warmth come over me as i also was quietly praying and saying lord i do not want the law controling me i do not want to greive your holy spirit and i do not want religon controling me this time lord i am ready to accept this i no longer want to fight you and it happend as i decided to stop fighting god

i also have heard of people say it was only meant for the time the disciples and the apostles we should not be using this today with in our main line churches or trusting what 1 corinthians 14 says when it comes to the gifts of the holy spirit its like people are still wanting the law to control them when christ dealt with the law on the cross

also i looked at acts 2 and i even wrote this down in my note pad these guys were normal men but jesus said to the disciples that he is going to send them a helper and they are to weight until the holy spirit comes

the disciples could have also held onto the law as talked about in galations but they were very open and trusted in everything jesus had said to them

i feel when the holy spirit came on them in such power these men would have been slain in the spirit as this is what happens when you stop fighting him and fully trust him

i have read the last few posts on your topic and i am not the one to point the finger or sit in on judgment on those who do wish to not allow them selves to be open to what has been said hear

on replying slain in the spirit yet i hope those that do dissagree will also show your other brothers and sisters in the lord who openly accept this and do not put a stop to god blessing them it does not mean i am a lunatic or i am crazy i am just as normal as you are matthew and oveda

if this was not meant for us it would not be written in plain ink for people to read this is what happend in the upper room and i am sticking to how i see this for my self god does not want to lead me down a wrong path and i feel very peace full and i know this is off god and i feel that their would have been christians in that time who also experianced what i have experianced

this is why i do not sit in judgment on my other brothers and sisters i will still fellowship with my other brothers and sisters in the lord i wil still have a healthy conversation as i like to also learn i have an open mind and i have a teach able spirit

we also had one person from the toronto blessing share in our church and i feel for these brothers and sisters in the lord who have had nothing but negative things being said to what happend in pencicola if i had the money i would have been their my self and i feel that nothing was being faked or people were being manipulated or told to state false claims

this is what happens when god does decide to viset a group of people when we openly cry out in mercy and seek him in repentacne why would he hold him self back from his people

we did this hear and let me tell you when we finished our 8 week course i have seen some amazing things happen in my church those that have back slidden are starting to come back to church for the first time old members that walked out in anger have even come back and asked to be forgiven people that have not had jobs for a long time god is blessing them with work

when my pastor asks me to be a catcher i simply obey and i walk behind with my hands away from the person but ready to catch them and i just agree in agreement my pastor does not force the person to fall he is an aborigonal elder of this farming community and these people are in touch with the land and mother nature its self

he was like me but know is very open to the holy spirits leading and if some one falls we stay with that person let me tell you i have nearly fallen backwards my self as this is how much of a strong anointing comes over my pastor well this happend luckly a good brother jumped up i cought the person that my pastor prayed for as they fell back wards i also was double hit and my friend cought me some how we were side by side and i was not prayed for or had asked for prayer but my pastor said i was praying over you and when i came to my brother who cought me was sitting next to me with his hands on my shoulder and gave me a cudle

am i making this up i will leave this to you to work out but i will not even judge you as i want to also hear what you have to say in the searching you have done and i hope we can walk in unity with each other as brothers

god bless and a happy christmass and a happy new year

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/03/1986

God bless you Damo1 and thank you for your incredibly detailed replies. I do enjoy reading about your church and have no doubts that the Lord is working temendously through your congregation. Although, I think we can all agree on one point. I'm gonna say "I believe" though, because I don't want anyone thinking I am forcing my views upon anyone. I believe that there is not one "perfect" church today. I believe every denomination or congregation has a few things wrong. Why? Because even those churches truly led by the Holy Spirit are still churches of men. None of us are perfect. In the same way, the church is not perfect(because we are the church). Atleast not until our Lord and Saviour returns to set up His awesome Kingdom! So, my point is that although great and wonderful things can be happening for the Lord at your church there are probably still errors. This is my opinion but let me know if you agree. I am in total agreement with a previous post about the fact that Paul had to correct certain things or atleast speak His opinion about them. I believe that is what we are doing here now, just on a smaller scale. We need to come together and discuss things. AGAPPLE, I live in the Dominican Republic and there is a Church here that is supposedly selling the Holy Spirit. If I was friends with someone from that Church don't you think it would be right as a Christian to say something in a gentle manner like Paul did. Now, I'm not saying that the whole "slain in the spirit" thing is like that. I don't know for sure that it is a false practice. It is my personal opinion. I am looking foward to a cleaner Church closer to the doctrine of Christ. Thats what we all want, right? Anyway, thanks again for everyones' replies. It's been a great discussion so far. Let's just remember to speak to our brethren like Paul did, with love. Love you all! Your brother in Christ, matthew

One more thing Damo1. Notice that in those two examples in Acts and I'm pretty sure that in any example in Acts you'll find that when they recieved the Holy Spirit or hands were laid on them to recieve Him no one ever fell. Also, be open to the option as some have pointed out that it still very well could be an emotional experience, not so much anything spiritual. A catholic priest could go his whole life praying to mary believing truly that she is hearing and answering his prayers until one day he finds out the truth, that Jesus is the only mediatior bewteen man and God. Just a thought.

Edited by matthew4:4

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

More the reason to know the leading of the Holy Spirit. Even Jesus told us that the Holy Spirit will teach us all truth, John 14:25-26; These things I have spoken to you while being present with you. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.. You will also see in the Book of John that not all things that Jesus did was recorded. It is very important that we do keep His commandments and follow Him. If we do this, He will teach us the truth of what is. If I were to agree that HE would not, then I would have to say that we are left orphans, which is against scripture. John 14:15-18; If you love Me, keep My commandments. And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.43
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

What is comparable is the fact that, without the constriction of the Bible, any number of doctrines and teachings can be created. One person says, "I've been slain in the Spirit" and have experienced that it is a real and valid manifestation of the Spirit. Another says, "Not only have I been slain in the Spirit, but I began to shake uncontrollably upon the ground." Then yet another says, "I have been slain in the Spirit, began shaking uncontrollably on the ground, and then I began to intermittently laugh loudly and bark like a dog." All of these are subjective experiences without any objective support from the Scriptures. Yet you are telling me that I should accept any number of these experiences and the extra-Biblical teachings which have arisen from them because it's the operation of the Spirit outside the realm of Scriptural truth.

Essentially then the Bible has left a wide open door through which any number of doctrines, teachings, and practices may be conjured up and simply supported with the statements, "I experienced it," and "The Bible allows it because God is bigger than the Bible." There can be no means by which one believer can objectively measure the truth of what a person is claiming. Furthermore, the person who asks for objective evidence from the Scriptures can be, and often is, written off as "spiritually deficient" or "spiritually immature." So what we wind up with are factions of believers wholly dependent upon personal "spiritual" experiences without the guiding rule of the Bible.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/03/1986

AGAPPLE, I live in the Dominican Republic and there is a Church here that is supposedly selling the Holy Spirit. If I was friends with someone from that Church don't you think it would be right as a Christian to say something in a gentle manner like Paul did. Now, I'm not saying that the whole "slain in the spirit" thing is like that. I don't know for sure that it is a false practice. It is my personal opinion. I am looking foward to a cleaner Church closer to the doctrine of Christ. Thats what we all want, right? Anyway, thanks again for everyones' replies. It's been a great discussion so far. Let's just remember to speak to our brethren like Paul did, with love. Love you all! Your brother in Christ, matthew

selling? like with money? dude, now that's bogus & we all know you can't buy God. yeah you should say something about the "selling" part.

Yes, selling the Holy Spirit! I guess they never read the story of that magician in Acts. They claim that the Holy Spirit is within these little rosebuds they have and they sell them to poor, uneducated people in tiny shantytowns. It's a terrible thing and if I knew in what town they were actually doing this I'd probably try to warn the people about it.

Great point Ovedya! :emot-hug: What I wanted to ask is how can one be absolutly sure its the Holy Spirit speaking and not their own heart? I think the only way to confirm something would be to say well I think this is what God is saying but let me confirm it through Scripture. God bless and Merry Christmas to all. Your brother in Christ, matthew

Edited by matthew4:4

What is comparable is the fact that, without the constriction of the Bible, any number of doctrines and teachings can be created. One person says, "I've been slain in the Spirit" and have experienced that it is a real and valid manifestation of the Spirit. Another says, "Not only have I been slain in the Spirit, but I began to shake uncontrollably upon the ground." Then yet another says, "I have been slain in the Spirit, began shaking uncontrollably on the ground, and then I began to intermittently laugh loudly and bark like a dog." All of these are subjective experiences without any objective support from the Scriptures. Yet you are telling me that I should accept any number of these experiences and the extra-Biblical teachings which have arisen from them because it's the operation of the Spirit outside the realm of Scriptural truth.

No Brother, I am not telling you any such thing. I have been saying all along that the Holy Spirit will teach us the truth. If you happen to be at one of these happenings, for a lack of a better word, the Holy Spirit will bear witness to the spirit behind what is going on. If it is of God, you will know. If it is not of God, you will also know this. The Holy Spirit, being the Spirit of God, WILL teach us all truth. I pointed to John 14:12-14 in order to bring to light the true fact that everything that Jesus did and taught, was not recorded in the Bible. Jesus did a lot more then we can run back to check through the Word. This is why the Holy Spirit is so important to us, so He can teach us the truth of what we hear or see. As for just reading about something, I learned a very long time ago not to believe what I read, but to go and check it out in person.

Essentially then the Bible has left a wide open door through which any number of doctrines, teachings, and practices may be conjured up and simply supported with the statements, "I experienced it," and "The Bible allows it because God is bigger than the Bible." There can be no means by which one believer can objectively measure the truth of what a person is claiming. Furthermore, the person who asks for objective evidence from the Scriptures can be, and often is, written off as "spiritually deficient" or "spiritually immature." So what we wind up with are factions of believers wholly dependent upon personal "spiritual" experiences without the guiding rule of the Bible.

Why are you mocking me, Brother? Do you not believe in the Holy Spirit, sent to us from Jesus? What you posted above would make it impossible to believe that God is more then what the scriptures tell us. That would be ignoring John, or calling John a lier. You may not want to believe that the Holy Spirit speaks of only what He is told, and that is fine with you. However, to say that the Holy Spirit can not inform us of the truth, if it is not found in the Bible, is putting a stumbling block in front of those who do follow the leading of the Holy Spirit.

First, and foremost, we need to study the Bible intensively, not just read it as a book. We also need to have a strong communication life with God, through pray. I believe in the Trinity; therefore, believing the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit to be equal and of one accord. This allows me to believe that the Holy Spirit WILL teach me all truth.

Remember that the sheep need to know the Shepherds voice in order to follow Him. The voice we now have is the voice of the Holy Spirit. If we do not listen to His voice, then it would be true that the sheep could follow any voice that may sound familiar. More reason to get as close as you can to God so we can know His voice. For me, I will follow the teaching of the Holy Spirit over mans any day.

OneLight

Great point Ovedya! :emot-hug: What I wanted to ask is how can one be absolutly sure its the Holy Spirit speaking and not their own heart? I think the only way to confirm something would be to say well I think this is what God is saying but let me confirm it through Scripture. God bless and Merry Christmas to all. Your brother in Christ, matthew

Brother, by drawing near to God. the sheep know the Shepherds voice, do then not? You already know your own voice. Now you need to know Gods voice as well, so you can tell the difference. What else would Jesus be talking about?

OneLight

OneLight, there are 999.9% different interpretations of scripture, and even those that are totally opposite use the "Holy Spirit" is guiding me, by people I have no doubt are honest & sincere and yet, they do not agree with each other or scripture. If we have nothing to judge by (scripture) then we are all lost.

Then allow me to ask you something. When someone tells you something that does not sound right, is it scripture that pops into you mind first or does the Spirit first tell you that something is not right, then brings back scripture to verify? What about those times when there is no scripture brought back, but you still know it is not right? Is this not the leading of the Holy Spirit? We must allow Him to do what He has been sent to do. We must become as close to Him as we can in order to know His moving within us. To not do so would be like fighting a battle without the power of the Holy Spirit. The battle is with the spirit world and who knows the spirit world better then God Himself?

OneLight

What "pops" into my head has to be backed up by scripture. Thats why the Bereans were commended by Paul, for searching the scriptures to prove what was being said was true. Certain things may not be in scripture but the basis for any choices we make can be found there. And sorry, but the last part of what you said about it exactly why there are so many different interpretations of scripture. And so many of them directly contradict scripture.

Usually when I have something 'pop' into my head (call it an 'aha' moment, if you will) it is usually my mind making a connection that is a result of something I've been studying but haven't completely understood before. The scriptural references are familiar but the connection between them is new to me. That's very different than receiving something completely new from God. That has never happened to me and I doubt that it ever will.

There is enough in the Bible to last through a lifetime of study; rather than wait around for an inspired word (which may or may not be from God), I prefer to study what the Lord has already given us. Galileo once said, "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." That's my two cents. :emot-hug:

You both are not reading what I wrote. Instead, you draw out the word "pop" for some reason. Allow me to reprint my statement:

When someone tells you something that does not sound right, is it scripture that pops into you mind first or does the Spirit first tell you that something is not right, then brings back scripture to verify?

If is reworded it to say "is it scripture that comes to mind first, would it be easier for you to understand?

OneLight