• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I'm sorry, but this is beyond ridiculous!

Music is not a sin!!!!!!

Listening to music is not a sin!!!!!

Listening to music with lyrics that are obscene, or promote sin, is not a good idea if you do it knowingly. But come on! If I go to my local convenience store I will probably hear obscene language from someone, and see an advert of some scantly clad woman selling milk or some such product. Is she sinning by letting it all hang out for milk? Hey, I don't know, and I don't particularly care - I buy milk cause it like it in my coffee, not because some well endowed woman on a poster is squeezing a carton between her....hands!

As a Christian you cannot escape temptation or isolate yourself from sin. (if you want to, go find a comfortable cave and live in it, but I guarantee you, you will still sin in your cave! Mumble, hard floor, mumble, no heat, mumble no coffee, woe is me, but Jesus must love me cause I am not sinning, my butt is numb from this cold rock floor, but I am not sinning). Oh, wow, get out and enjoy yourself responsibly under His light with every gift He gave you - including music!

The music we listen to today, the scales and notes, were developed by a monk!

1065 Wilhelm von Hirsau German Benedictine monk writes manuals on musical theory.

1100 Beginnings of secular music

God gave us the ability, it did not evolve, and secular music can invoke feelings of joy, peace, love and relaxation, in one. I use secular music to meditate on the word. Vivaldi's four seasons, Strauss, Bach, this stuff is heavenly! But I also listen to Bette Milder singing the Rose (tell me, I ask you with tears in my eyes, how that can be a sin?), or Dylan singing "every grain of sand" - "In the fury of the moment, I can see the Masters hand, that every hair is numbered, like every grain of sand". (Sin?)

Listen to the Byrd's singing Turn, Turn, Turn - straight out of Ecclesiastes 3:1.

There are more important things to worry about people.

One of them is to get out of the cave and walk in His wondrous world, dodging the prominent milk cartons of sin on the way!

Blessings

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

One of them is to get out of the cave and walk in His wondrous world, dodging the prominent milk cartons of sin on the way!

Blessings

Ahhh the signs of a poetic soul labouring to take the focus off our own navels, to lift our heads and take a deep whiff of the humous or the coffee. :blink:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Blessings

Ahhh the signs of a poetic soul labouring to take the focus off our own navels, to lift our heads and take a deep whiff of the humous or the coffee. :wub:

One tries, one tries :blink:

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

When Jesus was walking through the wheat feild and they were in need of sustainence, it was morally right to pick some food and the moral need to rest and keep the sabbath holy was overidden by the need of food. This was not a whim but was a moral need and therefore one moral law was set aside for the greater moral law, but it would not have been ok to pick food to sell just earn some money.

There was no law saying you cannot eat on the sabbath, and Yeshua did not break one of His Fathers laws plain and simple. Where do moral laws and morality come from but if not from God? God expects His children to follow His instructions. I'm not going to derail this thread anymore by stating its not immoral to eat on the sabbath, resting and eating according to what you posts are not to be done together on the sabbath? You have some very skewed ideas about Gods laws.

This is moral law and I dont make it so, it just is. Please hear me correctly im not judging anyone, the moral law judges all of us wether we understand it or not.

Who makes the law moral, where does this moral law come from but if not from God? You cannot say that God does not make the law yet you say there is a moral law. When one starts walking into the legalities of any laws you soon get lost in them yet if you abide by the laws through the Holy Spirit they are neither burdensome or heavy in ones heart. Its the Spirit of the law we abide in wouldn't you agree? I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. And as others have pointed out if God has convicted you of this great but just because He has put this on your heart doesn't make it so for others here.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

This topic always brings out the legalistic and the licentious

Either we trust the Holy Spirit to speak to His own.....or we can impose our "christian morality".

Which will it be? :laugh:

I'm all for grace ruling the day

Let's not forgot the "antinomians" it brings them out too. :cake:

that is covered under "licentious"

There is no reason why we need the knowledge of good and evil in the Garden.

Yea I know but I will be using this word in the future and just needed the practice. :24:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

Nobody here has answered my question, how can it be morally right to indulge in vain activities while a single soul is about to spend eternity in torment and seperartion from God.

how many souls have you saved with the hours you have spent in this thread debating music?

how can this thread be any less of a vain activity than music?

Still no answer to my question i see. I will answers your however.

Anything that improves our understanding aids in the saving of souls even if only indirectly. I have not been debatingmusic or the value of music and have only been trying to say that listening to music secular or christian has value largly depending on its motive.

I have not said music per se was a vain activity. Debating can have value, but it may be right that it is in vain with some people.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

I admit that I have spoken abit rashly in the begining and Botz is correct that i have back tracked a little. I still maintain it was not my intention to lay any laws on anyone but only answer the OP with my opinion, which i have as much right to voice as those who disagree. I still maintain that listening to secular music without good purpose is vainity.

Thats all im saying on the matter henceforth.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I admit that I have spoken abit rashly in the begining and Botz is correct that i have back tracked a little. I still maintain it was not my intention to lay any laws on anyone but only answer the OP with my opinion, which i have as much right to voice as those who disagree. I still maintain that listening to secular music without good purpose is vainity.

Thats all im saying on the matter henceforth.

You seem to backtrack a lot.... so what is "good purpose" - I have to have a "good purpose" to listen to classical music or jazz? What do you think a "good purpose" is - I'm interested in knowing that...