• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

UN upgrades Palestinian status, bolstering statehood claim

The U.N. General Assembly approved a resolution on Thursday giving implicit recognition to Palestinian statehood despite threats by the United States and Israel to punish the Palestinian Authority by withholding funds for the West Bank government.

The resolution, which lifts the Palestinian Authority's U.N. observer status from "entity" to "non-member state," like the Vatican possesses, easily passed the 193-nation General Assembly with 138 nations voting in favor, and nine opposed, including the United States. Forty-one countries abstained, including the United Kingdom.

The decision at the United Nations will change nothing on the ground," Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in Jerusalem. "It will not advance the establishment of a Palestinian state. It will delay it further."

But U.N. diplomats say that Israel's reaction might not be so measured if the Palestinians seek ICC action against Israel on charges of war crimes, crimes against humanity or other crimes the court would have jurisdiction over.

Granting Palestinians the title of "non-member observer state" falls short of full U.N. membership — something the Palestinians failed to achieve last year. But it does allow them access to the International Criminal Court and other international bodies, should they choose to join them.

See more: http://worldnews.nbc...hood-claim?lite

Pray for Israel.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

Praying for Israel . . . . .

Considering that Israel is already divided, and to some extent Jerusalem is divided [the Jews are not allowed, by the Muslims,

to pray on the Temple Mount] what difference will this make?

I am versed in Scripture, still I wonder what we should expect for the here and now from this action.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

Considering that Israel is already divided, and to some extent Jerusalem is divided [the Jews are not allowed, by the Muslims,

to pray on the Temple Mount] what difference will this make?

I am versed in Scripture, still I wonder what we should expect for the here and now from this action.

This isn't exactly true. The Jews took possession of Jerusalem over 40 years ago. Jerusalem and the temple mount is in Israel right now. Islamics built a mosque there long ago, of course, because they knew it to be the temple mount. They live there and administrate it, but Israel, at any time, could simply expel the muslims and bulldoze that mosque to the ground and then they'd have access to it anytime they wanted it. To this point they've chosen not to due to international pressure.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

We'll see more of God's wrath poured out. He doesn't take kindly to those who divide up His land.

We'll see more of God's wrath poured out. He doesn't take kindly to those who divide up His land.

This has been ongoing for some time now, which is my point.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

Hmmm>>>>Double post.....GE was tipped by...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Tough call for Israel, but I am glad the US is at least backing Israel on this one.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00

Tough call for Israel, but I am glad the US is at least backing Israel on this one.

This could very well backfire on them. If they were to attack Israel at this point, then Israel would theoretically have an internationally legally recognized right to declare open war upon them and remove them from their borders as foreign combatants. Of course, though, in the anti-semitic assembly room of the united nations this would never be allowed to officially stand, but if Israel were to do it the UN couldn't really do anything about it outside of sanctions, and even then it would require the united states not use its security council veto after it was referred there for a vote (which it couldn't use to prevent them from claiming statehood on the floor of the general assembly).

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

A step in the right direction towards a two state solution