IGNORED

Why no unity?

firestormx

Personally, I do not believe unity is as much about thinking as one as much as it is working as one.

1 Corinthians 1

10 Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Philippians 2

1 Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, 

fulfill my joy by being like-mindedhaving the same lovebeing of one accordof one mind

Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 

4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Personally, I do not believe unity is as much about thinking as one as much as it is working as one.

Consider for instance how 3 people talking about the same event will describe it differently, even remember it differently. For this and other reasons, I do not believe it reasonable to expect our thought patterns, perspectives, conclusions, awareness of reality, interpretations, and the like are going to be the same. In many ways, though, our discussing our disagreements can be beneficial to us, "as iron sharpening iron."

What matters, though, is that we hold each other before the Lord, we minister to each other, our congregations be built as a family not a business (as Fez mentioned), and the like.

Amen to that!

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

1 Corinthians 1

10 Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Philippians 2

1 Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, 

fulfill my joy by being like-mindedhaving the same lovebeing of one accordof one mind

Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 

4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.

Are you sure "same mind" means same opinion?

Can and should we have the "same mind" about what food we like and dislike, for instance?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Why is there no unity in the body of Christ?

There are disputes on every single point of doctrine there is. Very few agree on a lot of things. Even fewer agree on most things. I've never come across 2 believers that agreed on everything. The bible states in the book of Acts that the Apostles were of 1 accord. The first believers were in unity. With each other and Christ.

Why aren't we?

People often say it's ok, because we are never going to agree on everything. But, the bible says Christ is not divided. Where is the unity? Is it we understand the scripture differently? Well, if we are all being led to the truth by the same Holy Spirit, then shouldn't it be the same truth we arrive at?  Is it because we are at different places in our walk with Christ? But even then, the same core truth should be there, should be the same. Just built upon. Line upon line. An unfolding living revelation coming from the living Word.

How can every believer be hearing and being led by the same Holy Spirit and all of us come to different answers to the exact same questions? Why is it seen as such a bad thing to say " I don't know " or " I was wrong ". If Christ is love, then shouldn't unity start there to? Isn't forgiveness apart of love?

Where is the Unity?

May the living Lord Jesus Bless you all

Firestormx

Joseph

I think Neb's perspective is good.

Consider for instance how 3 people talking about the same event will describe it differently, even remember it differently. For this and other reasons, I do not believe it reasonable to expect our thought patterns, perspectives, conclusions, awareness of reality, interpretations, and the like are going to be the same. In many ways, though, our discussing our disagreements can be beneficial to us, "as iron sharpening iron."

What matters, though, is that we hold each other before the Lord, we minister to each other, our congregations be built as a family not a business (as Fez mentioned), and the like.

Our purpose is to praise God (in everything), preach Christ (to the lost), teach Scripture to each other (discipleship), and live together in love by God's grace (realising we're all God's works in progress).

There is a difference between unity and conformity.

Unity - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/unity?s=t

noun

1. the state of being one; oneness.
2. a whole or totality as combining all its parts into one.
3. the state or fact of being united or combined into one, as of the parts of a whole; unification.
4. absence of diversity; unvaried or uniform character.
5. oneness of mind, feeling, etc., as among a number of persons; concord, harmony, or agreement.

Conformity - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conformity?s=ts

noun

1. action in accord with prevailing social standards, attitudes, practices, etc.
2. correspondence in form, nature, or character; agreement, congruity, or accordance.
3. compliance or acquiescence; obedience.

We have the same purpose (unity particularly definitions #1 and #3 above) but we don't all have to think the exact same way  (conformity particularly definitions #1 and #3 above). God does this in a personal manner by loving each of us where we're at in our walk with Him. He then uses His Holy Spirit to guide us to be conformed to the mind of Christ.  :)

Interesting dicussion. :thumbsup:

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

John 17

20 ‘My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one – 23 I in them and you in me – so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

24 ‘Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

25 ‘Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26 I have made you[e] known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.’

We are not united because we are distracted by doctrines and laws.  We are divided into denominations because we have elevated specific understandings about specific passages above the unifying relationship through Christ. It's the difference between religionship and relationship.  Different people at different points in their walk and with different life experiences will never agree completely on the interpretation of all of scripture, because God has not revealed to all of them the same things at the same time.  Religionship requires that we all agree on the interpretation of the laws and build up the same doctrines and divides us when we inevitably do not.  Relationship trusts that God will lead each of us to where we must be at the appointed time through our submission to Him.  Relationship unifies us where the law would divide us.  Siblings can be as different as night and day, and argue over the intentions and interpretations of their parents rules, what unifies them is their parents love for them and their love for their parents.

1 Corinthians 1

Philippians 2

Are you sure "same mind" means same opinion?

Can and should we have the "same mind" about what food we like and dislike, for instance?

Opinions aren't based on fact, so I doubt the scriptures above are making reference to opinions. So no.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Thanks for all the great posts everyone. One of the places I'm having trouble with this is something I mentioned in the first post. If we are all being led into the same truth by the same Holy Spirit, then how can we come to different answers? Being at different places in our walk, I don't think can be it because our core beliefs would be the same. Just look at all the different threads here. On every core issue there is every opinion under the sun. We can't even agree on his name for crying out loud. Jesus or Yeshua. Someone keeps posting a verse.

1 Corinthians 1

Shouldn't we believe the same core things? why don't we? Am I expecting to much?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

Thanks for all the great posts everyone. One of the places I'm having trouble with this is something I mentioned in the first post. If we are all being led into the same truth by the same Holy Spirit, then how can we come to different answers? Being at different places in our walk, I don't think can be it because our core beliefs would be the same. Just look at all the different threads here. On every core issue there is every opinion under the sun. We can't even agree on his name for crying out loud. Jesus or Yeshua. Someone keeps posting a verse.

1 Corinthians 1

10 Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Shouldn't we believe the same core things? why don't we? Am I expecting to much?

What core issues are we divided on?

Do we all agree Jesus is the Son of God who came to this earth to die on the cross and raise again 3 days later.

Do we all agree that Jesus is the only way to salvation?

Do we agree the Bible is the Word of God?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

1 Corinthians 1

10 Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

What core issues are we divided on?

Do we all agree Jesus is the Son of God who came to this earth to die on the cross and raise again 3 days later.

Do we all agree that Jesus is the only way to salvation?

Do we agree the Bible is the Word of God?

Salvation , sanctification, baptism of the Holy Spirit does it happen with or without tongues, understanding or interpretation of scripture/ any and all scripture. What the bible means on any verse. I could go on, but I think this shows what I am talking about. However I doubt many will even agree that these are core issues.

While I understand your point, I honestly believe there is too much disunity in the body of Christ. Most of the time you can't even tell the world from the church. So much tradition and the world have come into the church that there is almost no difference.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Honestly, I think perspective, upbringing, and culture come into play as well.

On this side of Christ's 2nd coming I don't think we'll be in agreement on everything. I believe we can agree that Jesus is the Son of God, who died and rose again three days later, Jesus is the only way to salvation and restored relationship with God, and the Bible is God's Holy Word.

I think we just need to focus more on dealing with each other...

Grace comes to us in two dimensions: vertical and horizontal.

Vertical grace
centers on our relationships with God. Freeing us from the demands and the condemnation of the Mosaic law, vertical grace gives us hope to the sinner by not only providing eternal life but also freeing us from any requirements to pay back God. Vertical grace is truly amazing!

Horizontal grace centers around our relationship with others. Relieved from our guilt and shame, we walk in grace, we’re free from the tyranny of pleasing people. We’re free from their demands and expectations, and they’re free from ours. When we can demonstrate horizontal grace, we accept others as they are. We have no personal agenda to make anyone be someone he or she is not. Horizontal grace is truly charming!

Differences are inevitable. How we handle our differences to me is supposed to set us apart from the world. :thumbsup:

God bless,
GE