IGNORED

25% of Americans don't know the Earth revolves around the sun?

MorningGlory

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

I think some get confused between the Earth revolving on its on axis and it revolving around the sun, but it does both. Funny how they give a survey on how many people know that we evolved from animals, like if it was true. That's science for you.

Now that I know.That we did not evolve from animals.

I just checked out the external link, and you make a good point here.  They were trying to make out like it is a fact people evolved from a lower life form, which is a lie.  I am aware people teach that, but I reject it.  I am also among those who oppose more federal funding for science, especially if they are going to teach things like evolution are a fact. 

As for the earth revolving around the sun, science was my weakest subject.  I had little interest in it, with the exception of astronomy.  I would pass the tests in that class without studying because I found it interesting,  When a person doesn't like a subject, they tend to do poorly in it, or it takes a great deal of effort to just get through.  If you didn't know that the planets revolve around the sun, I would not consider you stupid.  It just means that it was something you were never taught in school, but you make a good point with regard to the junk science being taught. 

I remember once talking to my Grandmother and she believed that the moon gave off it's own light, and didn't know that the light from the moon is as a result of the sun reflecting off of it.  She wasn't a dumb person at all.  It is just what you have learned or failed to learn in school.  When I was in school, they used to teach that thunder was the result of clouds bumping together, and I continued to believe that till someone said it was not true and no longer taught.  It comes across like you might have been offended by the suggestion we should all have known the planets revolve around the sun, and to me, this is more about what is being taught in school than about how smart a person is that doesn't know better. 

At lease I know that the Earth if round  :mgcheerful:

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

I think some get confused between the Earth revolving on its on axis and it revolving around the sun, but it does both. Funny how they give a survey on how many people know that we evolved from animals, like if it was true. That's science for you.

I just checked out the external link, and you make a good point here.  They were trying to make out like it is a fact people evolved from a lower life form, which is a lie.  I am aware people teach that, but I reject it.  I am also among those who oppose more federal funding for science, especially if they are going to teach things like evolution are a fact. 

As for the earth revolving around the sun, science was my weakest subject.  I had little interest in it, with the exception of astronomy.  I would pass the tests in that class without studying because I found it interesting,  When a person doesn't like a subject, they tend to do poorly in it, or it takes a great deal of effort to just get through.  If you didn't know that the planets revolve around the sun, I would not consider you stupid.  It just means that it was something you were never taught in school, but you make a good point with regard to the junk science being taught. 

I remember once talking to my Grandmother and she believed that the moon gave off it's own light, and didn't know that the light from the moon is as a result of the sun reflecting off of it.  She wasn't a dumb person at all.  It is just what you have learned or failed to learn in school.  When I was in school, they used to teach that thunder was the result of clouds bumping together, and I continued to believe that till someone said it was not true and no longer taught.  It comes across like you might have been offended by the suggestion we should all have known the planets revolve around the sun, and to me, this is more about what is being taught in school than about how smart a person is that doesn't know better. 

You're right, lack of knowledge is not stupidity, but this is simple stuff that in this day and age everybody should know. My thought is that they are deliberately trying to keep the latest generation dumbed-down and fill their heads with political propaganda instead.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

You're right, lack of knowledge is not stupidity, but this is simple stuff that in this day and age everybody should know. My thought is that they are deliberately trying to keep the latest generation dumbed-down and fill their heads with political propaganda instead.

That sounds kind of paranoid.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Everyone....

Okay ,please go easy on me folks,,,,,,,I am fragile tonight but as i am weak I am counting on God making me strong at any given second-LOL    Glory to God

I cannot believe that this would be the case in a National Survey with higher numbers(maybe age group a factor,language barriers?) I really have to question"Where did they find these 2,200 people?

With lo0ve,in Christ-Kwik

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

Public education at its best!

*** removed hidden post ***

~

How Wonderful To Hear From You Dear Comrade (Friend)

As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country. Proverbs 25:25

Yes, Mr. Obama Is Trying To Be The Very Best President He Knows How To Be

The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will. Proverbs 21:1

And Have You Ever Thought Of Leaving Merry Old England

There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. Proverbs 16:25

For The Bright New Lands Of "Yes I Can"

In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes. Judges 21:25

It Is Wonderful Over Here

If the LORD delight in us, then he will bring us into this land, and give it us; a land which floweth with milk and honey. Numbers 14:8

But I Think You

Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

Could Make It Even A Better Place To Be

Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:11-12

And I For One Would Welcome Your Optimistic Outlook On Our Classy Leadership

A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. Proverbs 17:17

Love, Your Comrade In Christ ~ Joe

Edited by OneLight

is that true???

Not sure if it's true or not, silvia.  I've never met anyone who didn't know the workings of our solar system, not to my knowledge anyway.  I'm hoping that this poll doesn't represent a true cross section of the U.S. 

~

And That's Just The University Professors

How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge? Proverbs 1:22

Or Was Their Thing, Life Must Come From Death

O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart. Proverbs 8:5

Because In Their Great Knowledge, God Could Not Create

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. Psalms 14:1

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,236
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/18/1970

Hey Gang,

Let's please remember to debate the subject not each other. Let's please also remember that name calling and insulting others ( no matter what has been said ) is not groovy of a Christian to do and that it's not allowed per the Terms of Service here at Worthy. As Christians we must remember who we represent no matter where we are and that there are non-believers here that do very much pay attention to how people talk to and treat each other. Light on the Hill gang !! :)

God Bless,

Hip

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

I have to think that people were messing with the pollsters. I can think of some people who would do this, and snicker about it later. It's really too ridiculous.

Guest shiloh357
25% of Americans don't know the Earth revolves around the sun

Technically, the earth doesn't revolve around the sun.  It orbits the sun.  It revolves on its axis; but, whatever.  To be honest,  if the poll is true, I would not be surprised.  In my university, I had classes with students who could tell you everything you never wanted to know about Katie Perry and Kim Kardashian, but could not identify the continent of Asia on a map and didn't know who the Vice President was.