IGNORED

How do I deal with racism as a christian?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

Great counsel given here, so no need for me to give you any more, but I will add this- this is a fallen world and we are all fallen people. You can expect imperfect people to be imperfect in their actions. In fact, even you and I have our imperfections (sin). It might not be racism, but it is something.

Think about that when you get angry at others for their imperfections.

"Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us......"

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,157
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

prejudice is so easily weighed out in right thinking... Everyone, I mean everyone, can reason

from their place of being and know, yes know, we have not picked the externals but have been

given them by other than our own self desires or will... thus to judge another based on what

they have not chosen for themselves is a bias fit for hell and endless error! Love, Steven

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

There is also much bigotry against people who are overweight, and assumption among Christians that they are gluttons, which is not often the case according to genetic studies of twins separated at birth.  I have men laugh at me when I am shopping, and it does hurt.  But then I pity them for their ignorance and rudeness.  

But when people hurt my kids it is a lot harder to overcome.  

Moses' second wife was a black woman.  When his sister Miriam didn't approve, God gave her leporsy.  God does not see our color.  But He does see our hearts.

Many interracial marriages have occurred in our church.  But we live in a highly mobile community in the Northwest USA.  Many people from other nations and ethnic groups are highly educated and respected here so it makes it easier for the average person as well.  Most of my medical doctors have been from India, the Phillapeans or hispanic, and many scientists here are from other countries as well.  My husband's boss was black.  He quit to become a lawyer and then moved back to New Orleans.  As I said, we are pretty mixed here.  Hawaii is also.   I don't encounter many bigots, but this area is among the top 50 safest areas to live in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I am in a interracial marriage. My wife is black and I am white. We have a daughter together who is mixed and she has two children from a previous marriage (both black). We encounter racism quite a bit, especially living in the south. Recently I was on an elevator with my son (he is black an I am white), and there was another white family on the elevator with us. The youngest of their kids kept looking at my son and howling then laughing. The mother kept trying to shoosh him and the dad just kind of looked away. Anyways, I got the distinct impression that they didnt really care for people of color. How does God want us to handle these situations? I felt so much anger swelling up inside it made my stomach churn. I wanted to knock someone out. I didnt of course, and simply smiled and went about my business, turning the other cheek so to speak. But it hurt long after the incident, and still does when I think about it.

I am sorry that you and your family are still running into that racism down south.  I was raised in a small town in Nebraska, where I did not see hardly any racism.  But when I was stationed at Keisler AFB in Biloxi, Mississippi, I saw first hand just how bad it could be.  Me and a buddy who was Polynesian went downtown to play pool at a local billiard parlor, and promptly got thrown out because it was for whites only.  I was so embarrassed, because Pacca had no idea why he was ordered out, he was from a very small island in Hawaii, and he asked me to tell him why he was ordered out.  It tore me up explaining it, but thankfully he made joke out of it, and said, "Well, when I get out of the Air Force, I will get my Dad the Chief, to get the war canoes together and we will come over here and attack Biloxi."

So, I agree with the others, that ignoring them was the right thing to do.  Ignorance and foolishness deserves to be ignored.  Now if they claim to be Christians and there is an ongoing dialog with them and you still detect prejudice, I would show them this verse and these pictures:

1 Timothy 5:21 (HCSB) 

21  I solemnly charge you before God and Christ Jesus and the elect angels to observe these things without prejudice, doing nothing out of favoritism. 

Jesus was known as the Nazarene, so what do men from Nazareth look like:

Nazareth_Village_man_with_donkey,_tb1027

20140218054724746.jpg

And What if they say, but Mary was from the City of David.  Okay what do they look like:

234453712.jpg

4440438431_3f4e24fc59.jpg

NOW, since the only images we have ever seen of Christ as we grew up,

were all based on drawings by white Europeans who had NEVER seen Christ.  

Just how certain are you that Jesus was white?

Edited by VCO
Youtube video link

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,157
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I am in a interracial marriage. My wife is black and I am white. We have a daughter together who is mixed and she has two children from a previous marriage (both black). We encounter racism quite a bit, especially living in the south. Recently I was on an elevator with my son (he is black an I am white), and there was another white family on the elevator with us. The youngest of their kids kept looking at my son and howling then laughing. The mother kept trying to shoosh him and the dad just kind of looked away. Anyways, I got the distinct impression that they didnt really care for people of color. How does God want us to handle these situations? I felt so much anger swelling up inside it made my stomach churn. I wanted to knock someone out. I didnt of course, and simply smiled and went about my business, turning the other cheek so to speak. But it hurt long after the incident, and still does when I think about it.

When we build on any other foundation than that of His Word we will loose that portion of build... It simply cannot stand!

God says this:

2 Cor 10:7

7 Do ye look on things after the outward appearance? If any man trust to himself

that he is Christ's, let him of himself think this again, that, as he is Christ's, even

so are we Christ's.

KJV

Luke 16:15

15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but

God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is

abomination in the sight of God.

KJV

John 7:24

24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

KJV

2 Cor 5:12

12 For we commend not ourselves again unto you, but give you occasion to

glory on our behalf, that ye may have somewhat to answer them which glory

in appearance, and not in heart.

KJV

Those who walk in the Spirit can see through God's Word-> how their sight is to be but those in the flesh

will see the only way that they can in outwardly appearance! When you and the woman that you are with decided

upon marriage as love for one another dictated for you to do and the children as a result of that love so

also you both knew this was going to be and that you both would be tested in this regard... I would not have

it so for you both but it is and so this is as well: Just as Jesus gave Himself so that we could be delivered

from such shallow existence so also you two now must love those who are blinded by prejudice and entreat The

Father for their deliverance... My prayer for you in this matter is victory from that which comes against you

and by so doing you might not prejudice them for their sin... Love, Steven

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings ClarksNolans,,,

Welcome to Worthy............I come from a long line of Sicilians,grew up in NYC......my dad used to tease me & call me "the head of the league of nations".........I grew up in an all Italian neighborhood but if you know New York then you understand that only a few blocks away there is Chinatown & then next to that German town & so on.....NYC is often called the melting pot of the world & I had friends of every race,color,creed & religion....I knew little of racism & predjudices and then I moved to South Florida.....early 1980's,I had quite an all around culture shock and my very first friend(we are sill BEST friends)was a girl who is black(she's actually brown-lol)......we experienced many awful remarks,evil looks,police harrassment,chased by the KKK & other things just for being together in certain areas and from both black & white people......but it never phased us(or our children).....we only felt sorry for those that were racist & prayed for them,how do you get angry with ignorance & stupidity?Oh ,it can make you mad ,only because it is frustrating a waste of time & energy........but to let their hatred produce real anger then I am no better than they are

My best friends mom used to tell us that "God don't like ugly,,,,we all come from the same 2 people"....She would tell us stories of the things SHE experienced growing up in the 30's & 40's in Georgia & is a white person was walking towards her on the side walk she was expected to cross the street & not dare to make eye contact,And this woman does not have an angry,bitter,resentful or prejudice bone in her body.Why not? Well,because she has the Heart & Mind of Jesus Christ.We taught our kids the same way and they were never hurt by ignorance either.

You were a good example for your little one & who knows why they were laughing anyway?I encourage you to put aside your anger & instead pray for hardened hearts to be softened by the Power of the Holy Spirit......people like that cannot possibly know Jesus & that should help to remind you that they are headed for a horrible fate & it becomes very easy to pray for them.......teach your children the same,they won't be hurt or angry

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

Amen... what Quick said!

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Seeing human beings as Christ see's them and Knowing who we are in Christ.