Love is alive

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

I don't think government at any level save the local level knows best how to educate children.  So, no, I would want the state government out of edcuation, too.   It's radical thinking, I know; to believe citizens can actually manage their lives just fine without some bureaucracy foisting their mandates down our throats.

And, oh, in a perfect world there would be no teacher's unions and teacher's pay would be largely merit based  (a base salary with performance-based bonuses, to be determined by a local school board).

Basically, I am advocating a drastic overhaul of the lame American public education system, from K through 12.  I would also do away with public colleges and universities, too, but that's getting into weeds off the trail.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

We don't live in a perfect world so some of us choose to focus on realty instead of fantasy.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,088
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Why should their not be a common core? Why should states not be able to join forces and come up with a plan to try and improve upon that elephant in the room....our students being 36th in the world. Is that good enough for you?

Why should states not be allowed to try and have some common standards so a student transfering from Mississippi to Wyoming will have the same basic math skills?

But I do agree about the Dept of Ed. There is no value gained from it, thus it should go

I think the problem we're in now stems from the last tool we brought out called "no child left behind"      We mandated testing to make sure the kids were learning and so as to make our schools look better they made the tests easier....

Problem I see with Common Core is that they started holding people responsible before they told them what they were responsible for.

I keep hearing people talking about teaching to the test, and when they complain about that it tells me that they know nothing about education at all.

If you are going to teach, you decide what you want taught, and you teach it to the kids.   Then you make out a test to make sure the kids learned what you intended to teach.......      Problem with the new system (at least in Oklahoma) is that they brought out tests that are much different than what we've had in the past without pre loading the system with what we wanted to have the kids learn.....   it's very unfair to "all" the education staff and to the kids.

Everyone says that there is no Common Core Curriculim, but you have to teach the kids what you want them to be able to answer on the tests.

The problem isn't with the tool, it like everything else that progressives try to do in that it's grossly mishandled in implementing.    They have an agenda that most Americans won't agree with so they try and hide things from the general public as long as they can.   As I said, if we leave Common Core to the present people who are developing our books and learning materials we will eventually loose our Republic form of Government.....   They are slowly turning it into a democracy and democracies alway, always fail.  when that happens the Oligarchs come in and make us all surfs again.. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08

We don't live in a perfect world so some of us choose to focus on realty instead of fantasy.

Which is why more and more of us have abandoned public schools in favor of home schooling. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  325
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1966

There is no Common Core curriculum

Then maybe you can explain why all my children's workbooks have the words "Common Core" emblazoned all over them.

Chloe, not sure who you quoted when saying there is no common core, my computer usually says a name unfortunately in this instance it does not. I would simply like to say to whomever you quoted, I thought there was no common core. You cannot say that there is no common core when there is common core emblazoned all over the books of school children. However, I would like to comment on the fact that common core is not so much about testing as it is making a one world government.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

There is no Common Core curriculum

Then maybe you can explain why all my children's workbooks have the words "Common Core" emblazoned all over them.

Chloe, not sure who you quoted when saying there is no common core, my computer usually says a name unfortunately in this instance it does not. I would simply like to say to whomever you quoted, I thought there was no common core. You cannot say that there is no common core when there is common core emblazoned all over the books of school children. However, I would like to comment on the fact that common core is not so much about testing as it is making a one world government.

There is no Common Core "curriculum".  Common Core is a list of things that a child should know at the end of a certain grade.  That is all that Common Core is.  Each individual school district then decides how to achieve that list.  How it is done, as in what curriculum to use and what lessons plans is different from one school district and even one school to another. If your local school is trying to make a one world government I would suggest at the next election you replace your school board members.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,088
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Ok, from a month of study and input from several friends, I've come across this as a general statement about Common Core.

It originated from a governors conference concerning the different levels of education across different states.   Children moving from one state to another were not always at the same level and it was causing some problem for the students.....

unfortunately the main Governor that got involved was Janet Napolitano.  She brought in some of her friends from the UN to help out with the standards and the people at the UN have been working on World Core Standards for some years now.....  Janet was bringing the US into alignment with the UN standards.....   and the main person who has worked on these is

Just a sample of things:::::

Theosophy, Robert Muller and his World Core Curriculum.

During a visit to Arlington, Texas, some years ago, a friend took me to see the original Robert Muller school.  While she waited in the car, I walked past a little Buddha, climbed the steps to the front door, and rang the bell. Gloria Crook, the Director opened the door and asked why I had come. I listed my credentials: I was interested in global education, was concerned about the environment, and was an immigrant from Norway -- a country well known for its global concerns and admiration for the United Nations.[18]

I must have passed the test, because she invited me in and led me into a massive hallway. Looking to the left, I saw a room full of young mothers and pregnant women in yoga position. On a table next to the doorway, I noticed a stack of papers. The title startled me: "Occult Meditation."

To those who don't know God, the occult seems good, not bad, I thought to myself.

"Are you familiar with Alice Bailey?" she asked me as we entered a large cluttered office.

"Yes." I nodded, well aware of her links to Theosophy and the occult messages she channeled from her favorite spirit guide. "Didn't she write books full of messages she received from the Tibetan Master, Djwhal Khul?"

"Yes," answered Ms Crook. "Here, sit down and look at some of them." She pulled down several of Bailey's books from a shelf and put them in my lap. I silently thanked God for His spiritual protection as I flipped through the pages of the first one, Education in the New Age.

Then she handed me the Robert Muller World Core Curriculum Manual.   I  turned a few pages and read, 

"The underlying philosophy upon which the Robert Muller School is based will be found in the teaching set forth in the books of Alice A. Bailey by the Tibetan teacher, Djwhal Khul ...."[19]

The back of the manual contained two certificates. The first announced that The Robert Muller School "is a participating institution in the UNESCO Associated Schools Project in Education for International Co-operation and Peace."  The other confirmed its accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. On behalf of the Southern Association's review team, Dr. Eileen Lynch wrote, 

"The visiting team... was so impressed with the Robert Muller School that they thought the educational process and the general curriculum would be most valuable as a model for teacher education... Throughout this report the committee has recommended that information of the school's educational processes be shared with educators everywhere as much as possible."[20] (Emphasis added)

Finally Ms Crook pulled two large golden frames from the wall and showed them to me. I shivered when I looked at the first. It pictured a beautiful calligraphied rendition of "The Great Invocation," an occult prayer used around the world to invoke a global outpouring of spiritual light and power.[21]

The other frame displayed a letter from the White House. President Bush had sent his greetings and appreciation for the contributions made by the school.  Did the former president know whom he had endorsed?

Whether Bush knew Muller or not, the former U.N. leader is no stranger to the educational establishment. You saw that back in 1985, Muller's vision of a World Core Curriculum, as outlined in his book New Genesis: Shaping a Global Spirituality, was endorsed by the powerful ASCD[22] and recommended to enthusiastic educators at an international curriculum symposium. Two years later, it was promoted by Andy LePage in his well-endorsed book on holistic learning, Transforming Education.  In the nineties, it is spreading into local school districts.[23]

For example, Eugene, Oregon, School District 4J developed and published its "Integrated Curriculum K-5" in 1989.  Page eleven in this public school curriculum acknowledges that "The three curriculum strands are adapted from the World Core Curriculum by Robert Muller...."  The three curriculum strands match those in Muller's book: "Oneness with the planet," "Unity with people," and "Harmony with self."  Muller's fourth strand, which deals with evolution through time, is incorporated into the other three strands.  In New Genesis: Muller pulls the strands together into one utopian vision:

"The ecumenical teachings of the Christ [not the Biblical Jesus] - peace, justice, love, compassion, kindness, human brotherhood... must also find their way in world-wide global education. We must give the newcomers into the ceaseless renewed stream of human life the right education about their planetary home, about their human family, about their past, present and future, about their place in the universe and in time, so that they can flower to their utmost beauty - physically, mentally and spiritually - and become joyful and  grateful members of the universe or kingdom of God."[24]

Muller's vision can be seen at a glance in two diagrams for "Defining World Class Education" designed by the Iowa Department of Education. The first diagram, called "The Old Story: Conventional Wisdom" shows an oval picture of the earth with its land and oceans.  The globe is surrounded by arrows pointing toward the center and bombarding the planet with terrors like "Domination," "Biocide," "Ecocide," "Earth is Man's to Exploit," "WAR," "Intercultural Conflicts," and "Boundaries."[25]

The second diagram shows students "the right education about their planetary home."  It pictures a rounder, more mystical planet.  Titled "The New Story: Transformation," it shows arrows radiating out from the earth. Here the descriptions reflect the vision of a healthy harmonious planet: "Beyond War," "Humanity Evolving," "Reverence for all Life," "Interconnectedness; We are All One," and "Gaia"--a spiritualized Earth renamed after an ancient Greek goddess.

This mystical teaching tool was fabricated by tax-funded educators, not fringe fanaticals. The paradigm shift it promotes has gained enough acceptance to be established in local classrooms as well at global symposiums. Listen to the message in "The Peacemakers Planetary Anthem" sung to the melody of the Star Spangled Banner during an assembly at an elementary school in Sunnyvale, California. Encouraging children to imagine a peaceful planet with pristine forests and crystal-clear rivers, it begins with this millennial view:

O say can you see 

by the one light in all, 

A New Age to embrace 

at the call of the nations....[26]

Now compare the Iowa chart and the California song to Muller's vision of a world united through global education and evolving spiritually toward ultimate perfection:

"We need a new world education. Global education, namely the education of the children into our global home and into the human family, is making good progress. But we have to go beyond. We need the cosmic education foreseen by the religions and by people like Maria Montessori. We need a holistic education, teaching the holism of the universe and of the planet...."[27]

Muller didn't mention Waldorf Schools, but they fit right in. Their founder, Rudolf Steiner (1861-1925), shared Alice Bailey's occult roots in Theosophy, but broke away to start his own cult,  Anthroposophy, which he described as "knowledge produced by the higher self in man."[28] Like the Robert Muller schools, Waldorf schools offer holistic education and have long used the strategies now implemented in all states through Mastery Learning: whole language instead of phonics, stories and "literature" instead of factual history, and a strong emphasis on myth, imagination, guided imagery, art, creativity, movement (Steiner's founded eurythmy: movement as as art), and spiritual oneness with nature.[29]   

Global Education is still Muller's driving ambition. His main headquarters are now in Costa Rica where he serves as Chancellor of the University of Peace, which is sponsored by the United Nations as a model for education in the 21st Century.

In 1989, UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) awarded him its Peace Education Prize. In his acceptance speech, Muller shared his vision of the new world education program. Part of his dream was...

"That all schools and universities of this Earth will teach peace and non-violence and become schools and universities for peace;

"That UNESCO will study and recommend by the year 2000 a world core curriculum for adoption by all nations;

"That all human beings of this earth become instruments of peace, thus fulfilling the cosmic function deeply engraved in each of us...[30]

By the time Muller shared this vision, the world had already made a giant leap toward fulfilling it.       

The World Conference on Education for All (WCEFA).  When UNESCO convened a conference that drew delegates from 155 countries to Jomtien, Thailand, in 1990 to plan the international agenda for education, Muller's heart must have been singing. His vision for world education was nearing reality. Within five days in early March, the world's leaders reached consensus on six international goals.  Like the six U.S. goals prepared by the Bush administration (America 2000) and later adopted by the Clinton administration (Goals 2000 added two goals ), the international goals call for implementation by year 2000.  Notice the similarities between the two sets of goals:   

National Goals

America 2000 and Goals 2000[31]

Global Goals

World Conference Education For All[32]

1: Readiness for school

"By the year 2000, all children in America will start school ready to learn."

"Expansion of early childhood care and developmental activities, including family and community interventions...."

2: Certificate of Initial Mastery?

"By the year 2000, the high school graduation rate will increase to at least 90%."

"Universal access to, and completion of, primary education (or whatever higher level...each country considers as "basic")...."

3: Achievement,  citizenship

"By the year 2000, American students will leave grades four, eight and twelve having demonstrated competency...."

"Improvement in learning achievement at all grade levels... an agreed percentage attains or surpassed a defined level...."

4: Science, Math and Reading

"By the year 2000, U.S. students will be first in the world in science and mathematics."

"Reduction of the adult illiteracy rate to at least one-half its 1990 level by the year 2000, with sufficient emphasis on female literacy...."

5: Adult literacy and lifelong learning

"By the year 2000, every adult American will be literate and will possess the knowledge and skills  necessary to compete in a global economy...."

"...basic education and training in other essential skills... program effectiveness assessed in terms of behavioral changes and impacts on health, employment and productivity."

6: Behavior modification for safe, drug-free schools

"By the year 2000, every school in America will be free of drugs and violence and will offer a disciplined environment conducive to learning."

"...the knowledge, skills and values required for better living and sound and sustainable development... through all education channels including the mass media...and social action, with effectiveness assessed in terms of behavioral change."

These goals were designed to inspire a common vision and draw a ground-swell of support.  They must appeal to the public, but hide their true purpose.  For example, the first international goal, "expansion of early childhood care... including family and community intervention," sounds good to tired, frustrated parents who would welcome community support. Few realize that this goal set the stage for "parent educators" or other school-based authorities to intervene when parents don't follow their new-paradigm guidelines.  If you find that hard to believe, I trust that the rest of this book will convince you. 

One of the crucial documents prepared at the 1990 WCEFA was "The Framework for Action to Meet Basic Learning Needs." It describes three levels of action:

1. Direct action within individual countries

2. Co-operation among groups of countries

3. Multilateral and bilateral cooperation in the world community

http://www.crossroad.to/Books/BraveNewSchools/2-International.htm

If that doesn't get your attention let me know for there are tons of other things concerning education and the NGO's that the UN drives.