IGNORED

Which version of the Bible do you prefer?

BeeThere

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

what I read you saying here is that the Bible is not trustworthy...

I am saying that where there are differences between the New American Standard Version (and other newer versions) and the New King James version, I will take the NKJV, or Young's or the 1910 American Standard Version. I will take litteral translations over thought for thought versions like NIV.

But I would urge people to read any bible that they can understand. The Gospel is included in most of them. No translation is perfect but the Holy Spirit can still use them.

I do not trust the New World Translation of the Jehovah's Witnesses or paraphrases like The Message..

That comment I placed in bold is interesting. 

Butero, I trust the Holy Spirit to work in the people He has called.  My sister in law was brought back to the Lord while watching Jesus Christ Superstar!!!  He is more powerful and opportunistic than we sometimes Give Him credit For--He is God.  He used the RSV in my life for many years.  But gradually I became aware of poorly translated areas and better translations became available;   I was able to move to more conservative translations.   I just don't underestimate  God's ability to convey truth.  lol...after all He still uses KJV in many peoples lives. :hmmm:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

As far as God's breath is concerned, I'd go with the KJV.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Further to my previous post on this subject of the 17 July.

In the main I refer to four versions, namely ESV. NASB. NKJ. But best of all in my opinion is the, Holman Christian Standard Bible. An on line version of which can be found at,

https://www.biblegateway.com/versions/Holman-Christian-Standard-Bible-HCSB/

Every blessing.

Edwin.

I've heard from several different sources that the NASB (New American Standard Bible) is the most accurate word-for-word translation but I'm not a Hebrew / Greek scholar by any means.

This is the version I normally read from, and I love it.

I will say that there is no one translation that phrases every verse the best way, so it is good to consult several versions for comparison on verses that seem difficult to interpret.

It is also good to check some versions like the Message occasionally for a simplistic paraphrasing of confusing passages, but I do not recommend it for regular study.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  1

Of course for those looking for an "exact", "non paraphrased" version - they really can't do much better than an early copy of the original, perhaps 2nd edition, from the apostle's own hand. This is probably a mere 2 decades from the original Gospel autograph of John. Here then is probably the most accurate, no frills passage, that you can find today; of course some might think it runs together a bit.

υκ̣α̣ιε̣κ̣ε̣ι̣ε̣μ̣ει̣νανου̣πο̣λλαςημ̣εραςκαιευρενεντωιερωτουςπωλουνταςταςβοαςκαιπροβατακαιπεριστερας·καιτουςκερματισταςκαθημενουςκαιποιησαςωςφραγελλιονεκσχοινιωνπανταςεξεβαλενεκτουιερουτατεπροβατακαιτουςβοαςκαιτωνκολλυβιστωνεξεχεεντακερματα·καιταςτραπεζαςανεστρεψενκαιτοιςταςπεριστεραςπωλουσινειπεναρατεταυταεντευθενμηποιειτετονοικοντουπροςμουοικουεμποριουεμνησθησανοιμαθηταιαυτουοτιγεγραμμενονεστινοτιοζηλο̣ςτουοικουσουκαταφαγεταιμεαπεκριθησανουνοιιουδαιοικαιειπαναυτωτισημειονδεικνυειςοτιταυταποιειςαπεκριθηιςκαιειπεναυτοιςλυσατετονναοντουτονκαιεντρισινημεραιςεγερωαυτονειπανουνοιιουδαιοιμκαιεξετεσινοικοδομηθηοναοςουτοςκαισοιεντρισινημεραιςεγερειςαυτονεκεινοςδεελεγενπεριτουναουτουσωματοςαυτουεκεινοςδεελεγενπεριτουναουτουσωματοςαυτουοτεουνηγερθηεκνεκρωνεμνησθησανοιμαθηταιαυτουοτιτουτοελεγενκαιεπιστευσαντηγραφηκαιτωλογωο̣ν̣ε̣ι̣πε̣νοιςωςδεηνεντοιςιεροσ̣ολυμοις̣ε̣ντωπασχαεντηεορτη̣πολλοιε̣πιστε̣υσανειςτοονομααυτουθε̣ω̣ρουν̣τεςαυτουτασημειααεποιεια̣υτ̣ο̣ς̣δε̣ιςουκεπιστευεναυτοιςδιατοα̣υτ̣ο̣ν̣γ̣ει̣νωσκεινπανταςκαιοτιουχρ̣ειανε̣ι̣χενινατιςμαρτυρησηπερ̣ι̣τ̣ο̣υ̣α̣ν̣̅ο̣υ̣αυτοςγαρεγεινωσκεντιηνεντωανω

Or we can read John 3:16 a couple of centuries later - still close

ουτωϲγαρηγαπηϲενοθϲτονκοϲμοωϲτετονυν┬τονμονογενη┬ϊναπαϲοπιϲτευωνειϲαυτονμηαποληταιαλλεχηζωηναιωνιον

Personally the ones below are all late, with the exception of the Vulgate. However be aware that every one of them they are paraphrased and translated. That said most all work just fine for me.

KJV: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

NKJV: “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

NLT: “For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

NIV: For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

ESV: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

RVR60: Porque de tal manera amó Dios al mundo, que ha dado a su Hijo unigénito, para que todo aquel que en él cree, no se pierda, mas tenga vida eterna.

NASB: “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

RSV: For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

American Standard Version: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Young's Literal: for God did so love the world, that His Son -- the only begotten -- He gave, that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during.

DARBY: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whosoever believes on him may not perish, but have life eternal.

WEB: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.

HNV: For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

VULGATE:

sic enim dilexit Deus mundum ut Filium suum unigenitum daret ut omnis qui credit in eum non pereat sed habeat vitam aeternam

mGNT: οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον ὥστε τὸν υἱὸν τὸν μονογενῆ ἔδωκεν ἵνα πᾶς ὁ πιστεύων εἰς αὐτὸν μὴ ἀπόληται ἀλλ’ ἔχῃ ζωὴν αἰώνιον

TR: Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον ὥστε τὸν υἱὸν αὐτοῦ τὸν μονογενῆ ἔδωκεν ἵνα πᾶς ὁ πιστεύων εἰς αὐτὸν μὴ ἀπόληται ἀλλ᾽ ἔχῃ ζωὴν αἰώνιον

In Christ, Pat Edited by Macs Son

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

how about 2nd Corinthians 4: 7

where do we get one of those jars full of treasure

in kjv it is earthen vessel meaning our body

KJV But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

NKJV But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, , that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us.

NLT We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure., This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves.

NIV But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

ESV

But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.

RVR60 Pero tenemos este tesoro en vasos de barro, para que la excelencia del poder sea de Dios, y no de nosotros,

NASB But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves;

RSV But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, to show that the transcendent power belongs to God and not to us.

ASV But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the exceeding greatness of the power may be of God, and not from ourselves;

YOUNGS LIT And we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us;

DARBY But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassingness of the power may be of God, and not from us:

WEBSTERS But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God, and not from us.

HEBREW NV: But we have this treasure in clay vessels, that the exceeding greatness of the power may be of God, and not from ourselves.

VULGATE habemus autem thesaurum istum in vasis fictilibus ut sublimitas sit virtutis Dei et non ex nobis

mGNT ἔχομεν δὲ τὸν θησαυρὸν τοῦτον ἐν ὀστρακίνοις σκεύεσιν ἵνα ἡ ὑπερβολὴ τῆς δυνάμεως ᾖ τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ μὴ ἐξ ἡμῶν

TR Ἕχομεν δὲ τὸν θησαυρὸν τοῦτον ἐν ὀστρακίνοις σκεύεσιν ἵνα ἡ ὑπερβολὴ τῆς δυνάμεως ᾖ τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ μὴ ἐξ ἡμῶν

In Christ, Pat

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

KJV But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

NKJV But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, , that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us.

NLT We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure., This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves.

NIV But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

ESV

But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.

RVR60 Pero tenemos este tesoro en vasos de barro, para que la excelencia del poder sea de Dios, y no de nosotros,

NASB But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves;

RSV But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, to show that the transcendent power belongs to God and not to us.

ASV But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the exceeding greatness of the power may be of God, and not from ourselves;

YOUNGS LIT And we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us;

DARBY But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassingness of the power may be of God, and not from us:

WEBSTERS But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God, and not from us.

HEBREW NV: But we have this treasure in clay vessels, that the exceeding greatness of the power may be of God, and not from ourselves.

VULGATE habemus autem thesaurum istum in vasis fictilibus ut sublimitas sit virtutis Dei et non ex nobis

mGNT ἔχομεν δὲ τὸν θησαυρὸν τοῦτον ἐν ὀστρακίνοις σκεύεσιν ἵνα ἡ ὑπερβολὴ τῆς δυνάμεως ᾖ τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ μὴ ἐξ ἡμῶν

TR Ἕχομεν δὲ τὸν θησαυρὸν τοῦτον ἐν ὀστρακίνοις σκεύεσιν ἵνα ἡ ὑπερβολὴ τῆς δυνάμεως ᾖ τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ μὴ ἐξ ἡμῶν

In Christ, Pat

Thanks only one that may be suspect, I always believed the earthen vessel in kjv meant the human body,

of course I can be wrong and often am. I must admit I never read any other than kjv and thats weird for me

as bad as I read.

Thanks only one that may be suspect, I always believed the earthen vessel in kjv meant the human body,

of course I can be wrong and often am. I must admit I never read any other than kjv and thats weird for me

as bad as I read.

Hi Co Heir,

No, I believe that you are correct; there's no mistaking Paul's metaphor of 'earthen vessels' is our temporal flesh, so you have the correct context. It's also not the only time in his letters that he infers this. We are the temple of the Holy Spirit, even though our flesh is temporal, and will one day fail us all, we have the eternal Holy Spirit of God in us and a home prepared for us that will never fade within the glory of God's living presence, which now abides even in these earthen vessels. I was only making the point that most translations try to make the same point, even if heavily paraphrased.

1Corinthians 3:16

Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

1Corinthians 6:19

Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?

2Corinthians 5:1

For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

I was pretty much weaned on the KJV myself - It was difficult to get used to the language but eventually I did. I still pretty much exclusively read the Psalms in the KJV - they are superb! If you are used to the KJV then stick with it - it surely contains the Word of God as do many other translations.

May the Lord Bless, Pat

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I often listen to a modern translation in my car, and when I am reading. But when it comes to scripture memorization, I prefer the KJV. I would read the KJV regularly, but the old language slows me down a bit.

kings james versian jesus said dont take or add to his word i feel some new bibles do this