M_B

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Rev 18:24 - In her (Babylon) was found the blood of prophets and of the saints, and of all who have been killed on the earth.  This does not sound the the USA.

In Christ

Montana Marv

maybe not the general population of the US, but the controlling powers of this  nation I would say yes it does sound like them.....     Just look at the architecture of our capitol to get a grasp of the powers behind our nation from the start.

Hey Last Daze !!!

Seeing how Revelations is using symbolism, I would refer to how trade can still happen if NYC blew up.  The merchants of the sea would not need to stand afar off because of the plagues.  That is why I do not see the city as an actual city, but as a nation that merchants of the world would trade with.  All of USA trade is not solely limited to NYC and so it cannot be applied to NYC alone. See?

I think you need to visit an investment adviser about that.....   if NYC was totally destroyed it would affect the money flow of the entire world.     The only place more devastating would be the central square mile of London........  which is The City of London (The Crown).

but that's not to say that I think NYC is Mystery Babylon......    I'm still pondering on that.

Hey Last Daze !!!

Seeing how Revelations is using symbolism, I would refer to how trade can still happen if NYC blew up.  The merchants of the sea would not need to stand afar off because of the plagues.  That is why I do not see the city as an actual city, but as a nation that merchants of the world would trade with.  All of USA trade is not solely limited to NYC and so it cannot be applied to NYC alone. See?

I think you need to visit an investment adviser about that.....   if NYC was totally destroyed it would affect the money flow of the entire world.     The only place more devastating would be the central square mile of London........  which is The City of London (The Crown).

but that's not to say that I think NYC is Mystery Babylon......    I'm still pondering on that.

It's good to have an open mind. some minds are set like concrete.

jesse.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,011
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  4

I think it will be a literal city...such as NYC.  The feet of iron and clay representing a multinational government...such as the UN...headquarters in NYC, at least for now.

Brother Last Daze,

I can understand that if that was the only reference to identifying and describing Babylon but a city can be descriptive of a nation.

Revelations 18:15 The merchants of these things, which were made rich by her, shall stand afar off for the fear of her torment, weeping and wailing, 16 And saying, Alas, alas that great city, that was clothed in fine linen, and purple, and scarlet, and decked with gold, and precious stones, and pearls! 17 For in one hour so great riches is come to nought. And every shipmaster, and all the company in ships, and sailors, and as many as trade by sea, stood afar off, 18 And cried when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, What city is like unto this great city! 19 And they cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, Alas, alas that great city, wherein were made rich all that had ships in the sea by reason of her costliness! for in one hour is she made desolate.

I would think describing ships staying away from the shores of this great nation where trade is given is applicable because then if it was just NYC, the world could still trade with America, and there would be no great loss over NYC.

I still think it is referring to a city and not the whole nation.  The shipmasters are lamenting the loss of the city.  By your reasoning, it can't be America because the world could still trade with other nations so there would be no great loss over America.  Without some biblical "nation = city" precedent, I'll have to stay with the understanding that its a city.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-15/new-york-steals-london-s-mantle-as-world-s-top-financial-center.html

New York replaced London as the world’s leading financial center for the first time, after the City was rocked by a series of scandals and questions over the U.K.’s place in the European Union. 

New York holds the top spot in the latest Global Financial Centres Index with a “shaky, statistically insignificant” two-point lead, according to Michael Mainelli, chairman of Z/Yen Group Ltd., which compiles the index. Competition is heating up, with Hong Kong and Singapore, the two leading Asian centers, narrowing the gap between themselves and the top two to fewer than 30 points on a scale of 1,000, the index shows.

Scandals including banks abusing their clients by selling unneeded insurance, manipulation of financial benchmarks and trading losses, have combined to damage the City’s standing, just as plans for a referendum on EU membership cast doubt on the terms of its access to that market. While New York has challenged London for the podium since the inception of the index, a seven-point rise in its rating gained it the top spot after the U.K. capital suffered a 10-point decline, the largest of any center in the top 50.

“London needs a reputation that everyone who comes will be treated fairly and can compete fairly,” according to Mainelli. “Without the large domestic economies behind New York and Hong Kong, London needs to act more like a Singaporean city state or have the backing of a European Union domestic economy.”

Babylon; the cities of the nations= babylon.

Revelation 16:19 And the great city was divided into three parts, (zech.14:4).

***and the cities of the nations fell***:

***and great Babylon came in remembrance before God***,

to give unto her the cup of the wine of the fierceness of his wrath.

jesse.