• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/21/1952

This is what I think on this. God determines how long our life lasts. Luke 12:20 is talking about a parable of a rich fool who thought he could use his wealth to make his life better, but his time ran out. In dueteronomy 30: 20 it says God is our life, and the length of our days.

in genisis 6:3 we can see God does not want to strive with man forever, and limits mans life to 120 years and before this man lived for hundreds of years, as can be found early in genisis. Basicly, every day, every breath, every second is a gift from God and He is totaly in control of the length of our days. So adam and eve "could have" lived forever if God allowed, and as Pat said, the curse of death had not yet come. But the purpose of the tree of life can be found in genisis 3:22 where it says... and the Lord God said, behold, the man is become one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever.... this shows the tree of life was to give eternal life. To me it also shows God always gives us the choice to choose life and he desires to give us eternal life. God is good.

Can eternal life be lived out in a physical body? What about the scripture that says. "Flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom of God" Something has to give, something has to change.

Guest Butero

Had they never sinned but never eaten from the tree of life, I believe they would have lived an average lifespan of 700 to 800 years.  Look at it like this.  Lets suppose that God placed the tree of life in our town square, and gave us full access to it.  If we eat from it, we can live forever, but there is one catch.  If we sin, we will be banned from the tree and surely die.  Now lets suppose I don't sin, but I decide I don't wish to live forever, so I choose to abstain from the tree of life.  I would live an average lifespan according to the number of days a man would live in the natural.  Before God lowered the lifespan to 70 to 80 years, it was approximately 10 times longer, so I would expect to live to be 700 to 800 years old.  If I could have access to the tree of life today, though Adam sinned, I would live forever in this fleshly body.  Remember that God placed an angel with a flaming sword to guard the way of the tree of life so Adam wouldn't live forever in the flesh. 

This is what I think on this. God determines how long our life lasts. Luke 12:20 is talking about a parable of a rich fool who thought he could use his wealth to make his life better, but his time ran out. In dueteronomy 30: 20 it says God is our life, and the length of our days.

in genisis 6:3 we can see God does not want to strive with man forever, and limits mans life to 120 years and before this man lived for hundreds of years, as can be found early in genisis. Basicly, every day, every breath, every second is a gift from God and He is totaly in control of the length of our days. So adam and eve "could have" lived forever if God allowed, and as Pat said, the curse of death had not yet come. But the purpose of the tree of life can be found in genisis 3:22 where it says... and the Lord God said, behold, the man is become one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever.... this shows the tree of life was to give eternal life. To me it also shows God always gives us the choice to choose life and he desires to give us eternal life. God is good.

Can eternal life be lived out in a physical body? What about the scripture that says. "Flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom of God" Something has to give, something has to change.

If man had eaten the tree of life first things would be much different. Since adam and eve ate the from the tree of knowledge sin and curse came into the world. Because man has sinful nature now, flesh and blood cant inherit the kingdom. The something that has to give as you say, was Christs blood to wipe away our sins. What changes now is we die and get a new spiritual body see 1 corinthians chapter 15. If adam had never ate from the tree of knowledge things and history would be much different.

What would have happened if Jesus never went to the cross and he lived out his life on earth, would his physical body hold up to eternity without ever dying? We know he aged just like every one else.

Edited by CurtisCWilson

That is a question I have no clue about. John 10:18 is the only thing I can think of thats close to that. The main thing I can think of is if Jesus never died on the cross would be, we would all go to hell because there would have been no sacrifice for our sins.

I agree with you 100%

These are the kinds of things I think about once in awhile. I believe we can know the answer to those kinds of questions once we become mature in the Lord. I think the Lord wants us to know these things.

The human physical body was not designed to live for ever. It is a part of this physical world, and this world will be destroyed by fire and all the elements are going to melt with fervent heat. Adam and Eve would have eventually died if they never ate from the tree of life or from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. But that is not a bad thing, because the only thing that can separate a man from God is spiritual death not physical death. Sin is the only thing that can do that.

Rom 8:38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 

Rom 8:39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

I would imagine they would have lived a lifespan approximately 10 times greater than we live today.  Adam lived to be 930 years of age.  God shortened man's days to approximately threescore and ten years to fourscore years, which is 70 to 80 years.  Had God not shortened man's days, being denied access to the tree of life would likely mean a lifespan of 700 to 800 years on average.

That was after the fall. How long would they have lived if they never disobeyed God, but never eat from the tree of life?

They were not forbidden from eating of the tree of life until after they sinned. Death had come.

Are you saying that Adam and Eve did eat from the tree of life while in the garden? If that is true then eternal life can be taken back once you have it.

Im saying it was not forbidden to eat of it until after they sinned. I think it is a big and dangerous leap to make the claim that you can lose eternal life just based on this in genesis. That is reading more into the verses than what they say. 

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

If man had eaten the tree of life first things would be much different. Since adam and eve ate the from the tree of knowledge sin and curse came into the world. Because man has sinful nature now, flesh and blood cant inherit the kingdom. The something that has to give as you say, was Christs blood to wipe away our sins. What changes now is we die and get a new spiritual body see 1 corinthians chapter 15. If adam had never ate from the tree of knowledge things and history would be much different.

What would have happened if Jesus never went to the cross and he lived out his life on earth, would his physical body hold up to eternity without ever dying? We know he aged just like every one else.

Jesus is Lord. It is pointless to speculate how He would have lived out His life without dying on the cross since that was the whole point of His being on earth to start with. 

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

and to my knowledge, the Bible never forbid them to eat of the tree of life-the only one He forbid was the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. He didn't do anything to prevent them from eating from the tree of life-until after they fell.

Jesus is Lord. It is pointless to speculate how He would have lived out His life without dying on the cross since that was the whole point of His being on earth to start with. 

It is very important to understand the limits of the physical body. Jesus knew this when he said......

Joh 5:30  I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me. 

Jesus the man in his physical body and human nature could do nothing!!! Jesus understood that in his human physical nature he could not do the will of God. Jesus fully understood it was his Father dwelling in him who was raising the dead, bringing sight to the blind and healing the sick. If the Son of God said he could not do anything on his own, what makes us think we can? Understanding the limits of our physical body, and our human nature is very important to the Church in doing the will of God. We can not do it but Jesus can as he tells us here.

John 15:5  I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

That was after the fall. How long would they have lived if they never disobeyed God, but never eat from the tree of life?

If the knowledge of sin is what  brought on death, I would say that they could have lived extremely long lives for there would not be any reason for them to die......    The human body was created to replicate it's individual cells, and if there was not long term damage to our DNA, there would be no real reason for us to age and die.

I would ask you a question that I have asked here many times.....    Paul tells us that we are to judge the angels.....   so when did God decide for us to do that......    for he created us not to know about good and evil (right and wrong)   when you think about it we were not qualified to judge anything.

So when did he decide for us to do that......     if you agree with me and think it is from the very beginning, then one would have to assume that He would have expected Eve to fail.  Seems to me that was what he wanted from the beginning.

Did Adam and Eve sin before they ate of the fruit?   that's my other question.......   did they sin and not know of it???

Who told them they were naked......    No one, they just knew it.....      Eating of the fruit brought the knowledge of sin into the world......    and if running around naked isn't sinful, why did God himself make them clothes.

So I would simply say all that just to say that it was never in the works for Adam and Eve not to eat of that fruit....    And the poetic justice of it all to me is that Satan himself actually made it possible for us to be judges...   and I find that remarkable..        and just one more example of how totally wise our maker is.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

If Adam, and Eve did not eat from the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil", nor did they eat from the "tree of life", how long would they have lived for?

Mmmm. tricky question. I would imagine God would have said...

"What's up with you? You're not anorexic are you? Pick yourself an apple and eat something for my (God's) sake?" :foot-stomp: (artistic license taken with the type of fruit).

P.S. apologies to anybody who has struggled with anorexia or knows somebody that has. I too am very close to somebody with this mental illness, and I know that laughter is often the best medicine and I think my anorexic friend would agree with me.