IGNORED

Which day is the Sabbath and is it still valid today?

tff

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  166
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/01/1965

Something interesting, research was done on work/rest relationships. We know that if we work all the time without ever resting, we will wear ourselves down and our work will not be as efficient. The research was done to find the best work/rest ratio to get the most from human productivity. Not by surprise, if we work 6 days and rest the seventh, we accomplish more then any other ratio. I use this as proof that the Bible must be real, as well as God who also tells us to do this.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Something interesting, research was done on work/rest relationships. We know that if we work all the time without ever resting, we will wear ourselves down and our work will not be as efficient. The research was done to find the best work/rest ratio to get the most from human productivity. Not by surprise, if we work 6 days and rest the seventh, we accomplish more then any other ratio. I use this as proof that the Bible must be real, as well as God who also tells us to do this.

do you have a copy of that research all I find is daily/hourly research.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/14/1950

For me, at least, it is a matter of following Jesus Christ.

Did He keep the Sabbath?

Well, He said that He was Lord of the Sabbath and that the Sabbath was made for man.

He said that it was lawful to do good on the Sabbath.

He never said that the Sabbath had been abolished or changed.

If you really stop and think about it, isn't Saturday THE "day off"?  Isn't it when most big events are planned?  Family get togethers, the "big game", trips to the beach, that all important date, etc, etc, etc....where did this notion first start? :hmmm:

Of course, the Sabbath was never intended to be THE designated day for worship.  It was intended to be a day of rest...both for the individual, and, maybe even more important, the people around him.

So, for all of these reasons, I believe the Sabbath is still valid, and I do keep it in my house.

I do not condemn others who do not, of course.  Each one must honor God in his or her own way.  This is one of mine.  It may not be for someone else.

Guest shiloh357

For me, at least, it is a matter of following Jesus Christ.

Did He keep the Sabbath?

Well, He said that He was Lord of the Sabbath and that the Sabbath was made for man.

He said that it was lawful to do good on the Sabbath.

He never said that the Sabbath had been abolished or changed.

If you really stop and think about it, isn't Saturday THE "day off"?  Isn't it when most big events are planned?  Family get togethers, the "big game", trips to the beach, that all important date, etc, etc, etc....where did this notion first start? :hmmm:

Of course, the Sabbath was never intended to be THE designated day for worship.  It was intended to be a day of rest...both for the individual, and, maybe even more important, the people around him.

So, for all of these reasons, I believe the Sabbath is still valid, and I do keep it in my house.

I do not condemn others who do not, of course.  Each one must honor God in his or her own way.  This is one of mine.  It may not be for someone else.

The issue isn't about it being abolished.  The issue is whether or not the church is required by God to observe the seventh day of the week as the Sabbath.   So far no one can produce anything from the NT that places that requirement on the church.

Guest shiloh357

Those who defend the Sabbath seem to have been brainwashed into thinking that our main argument is that it has been abolished.  They seem to have a set of pet arguments planned to refute what they think we believe.  

It shows that they are just parrots repeating a set of views they have been trained to assign to the rest of us.

do you have a copy of that research all I find is daily/hourly research.

I wish I had saved the information where I heard that. I do not remember. I'll try to remember who/what/where I heard that.

Those who defend the Sabbath seem to have been brainwashed into thinking that our main argument is that it has been abolished.  They seem to have a set of pet arguments planned to refute what they think we believe.  

It shows that they are just parrots repeating a set of views they have been trained to assign to the rest of us.

The law of the sabbath is as real today as it ever was. They think that because Jesus said "if the mule is in the ditch . . ." In that Jesus was saying to keep the sabbath unless your mule is in the ditch.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,218
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Matt 5:17-20

17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish, but to fulfill. 18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the Law, until all is accomplished. 19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and so teaches others, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 "For I say to you, that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven.
NASB

I believe that happened in about 30 AD

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

The law of the sabbath is as real today as it ever was. They think that because Jesus said "if the mule is in the ditch . . ." In that Jesus was saying to keep the sabbath unless your mule is in the ditch.

I half way agree with you. The law of the Sabbath is real today, but it is not a law given for those under the New Covenant.

The Sabbath was given as a law(s) in the Mosaic covenant, and was given specifically to the children of Israel, as a sign for the children of Israel.

I believe that there are currently 3 covenants which are mutually exclusive. Any given person is under and obligated to just one of these three covenants. 

Unsaved children of Israel - Mosaic covenant

Unsaved Gentiles - Noachide covenant

Saved, both Jew and Gentile - New Covenant

When the children of Israel stood at the base of Mt. Sinai, and God offered the Mosaic covenant, they all agreed to do all that God said for all generations of the children of Israel. There are physical descendents still living today, and since all generations were obligated, those born Jewish, are born with an obligation to the Mosaic covenant.  When scripture says the Mosaic covenant is fading, I believe that means as more and more Jewish people come to believe in Jesus, the number of people obligated to the Mosaic covenant decreases. A covenant is in effect as long as there are people under/obligated to that covenant. In scripture, it says when Jesus returns, all of Israel, who are living, see Him,  and will be saved. When that happens, there will no longer be anyone obligated to the Mosaic covenant. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,218
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Is the Noahide covenant Biblical or Kabbalistic