• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

I am a very devout believer.  I go to church and worship often, I have been saved, I seek God's will continually, I walk with Christ daily and I share Him with others.  But here is the thing:  although I read the Scriptures twice a day and pray frequently, I don't really enjoy it.  I know that I am commanded to do it and that I must to live in Christ.  Yet I cannot affirm that I wholeheartedly take pleasure in it but view them as essential duties.  Is there something wrong here?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,661
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  2

You are certainly not alone, and your honesty is refreshing.

I forget, when I am in a certain frame of mind to mention it to God. And I don't know why, seeing that God has always been rewarding to me in the past, with similar seasons of numbness.

You are not young, and could be feeling tired of being tired, and so I admire your consistency with prayer and study. God Bless you.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/06/1974

Sometimes your flesh isn't willing, I go thru that once in a while. What is important is that you're feeding your spirit.

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  141
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,242
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Gray Wolf,

I don't know if what I am about to say may apply to you

but  here goes;

Everyone goes through tests of faith.

It sounds like you seem perhaps forced or obliged to do something you don't want to do and that may be bringing on a bit of resentment.

I don't think God wants us to feel that way.

I think that He wants us to freely choose Him because we want to not because we have to.

But maybe it is not a bad thing to just take a step back and give things a break for a while and see how you really feel about things.

God is always there , and will not let his own go to far astray without beckoning them back into the fold.

He knows your heart, understands your struggles and desires that they end up bringing you closer to Him always.

I know that for me, all my life, since I was a child I have been interested in having a relationship with God.

My journey has been one of growth, set backs, growth, set backs, more growth and now

the setbacks are  more small personal things I must overcome within my soul over questioning my belief in Him.  My relationship with God has progressed to a point that there is just to much stuff that God has done in my life for me to

go way back and question His existence.

I understand John 10:10, because that is what happened to me in my life

Sometimes we don't realize what we got until its gone.

God allowed me to experience this.

18 years ago, I experienced through a set back what it was like to be absent from the presence of God.

It was the worst experience one could want to experience=the absence of God.

I pray for you that if you decide to take a time out that God keep you protected and under His wing and let you experience what you need to, so that your relationship with Him,

becomes even more profound and with greater understanding.

In scripture, all the great men of God,  have had their share of struggles before greater understanding occurred.

Edited by 1to3

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I don't read my bible very day. I read it when I want to, when I feel driven to. But that does not mean I am far from God. I talk to Him constantly, thank Him constantly. Hang out with Christian friends, arttend church, prayer meetings, leaders meetings, mens breakfasts, moderate here, etc.

So yes, reading you bible is important, but you are not a Muslim, you are not under law. read it when you feel driven to.

But a word of warning, if that is all you are doing, without enjoying the fulness of a Christian walk, it could seem like a chore.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I have been there Gray Wolf, and sometimes I go back still. I am just now getting back into the swing of it. I will tell you what helped me, and maybe it will help you too.

Mostly for me study and prayer began to feel empty because I wanted a closer relationship, or something that showed me that my efforts mattered. This was a very tough time for me. I started to come out of it when I began to look at how he blessed me. How he brought the people that I love into my life and how empty I would be without them. My daughter is a blessing that more than one doctor said I was not capable of having. I think what really brought me into loving the Lord and his word again, was the knowledge that he picked her out for me. That he knew who she would be, how much joy she would bring me, how much love would be added to my life. For someone to do that for me even though he knew that day and that trial was coming was a mindblowing revelation. I don't know if you have any kids, but if you do, you may recall standing in the doorway and watching them sleep and just basking in the love that you felt for them. When you go to bed tonight, I want you to picture this, the Lord too likely stands in your doorway, watching you sleep, and basking in the love that he feels for you. If you remember that feeling when you did it for your children, and that image of him doing it for you while you read and pray. You may start to feel for it.

If this is not something that will work for you, I still wish you the best brother. At the very least, you are showing obedience, and that is admirable.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

It sounds like you are still working on the religion vs relationship understanding in your life.  Don't be discouraged, every person who has a relationship with God walks through these same thoughts.  A religion is led by rituals and rules ... do this then, say this these many times, etc.  A relationship is being led by the Holy Spirit where He moves us to do what we do and when to do it.  Learn to hear His all so quiet whisper in a crowded room and follow His lead.  He does not work on a schedule.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

I am a very devout believer.  I go to church and worship often, I have been saved, I seek God's will continually, I walk with Christ daily and I share Him with others.  But here is the thing:  although I read the Scriptures twice a day and pray frequently, I don't really enjoy it.  I know that I am commanded to do it and that I must to live in Christ.  Yet I cannot affirm that I wholeheartedly take pleasure in it but view them as essential duties.  Is there something wrong here?

No, it only means you were raised Roman Catholic.

Sometimes Mass is so boring that I "day dream" my way through the homily until we get to Communion.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Every time you do something for God, you are stepping onto a battlefield. Spiritual warfare is an ongoing fight. I doubt the boys that are taking on the likes of ISIS feel very good about where they are, but they fight the good fight. 

The closer you get to God, the more satan will try and beat you down.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,166
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I don't read my bible very day. I read it when I want to, when I feel driven to. But that does not mean I am far from God. I talk to Him constantly, thank Him constantly. Hang out with Christian friends, arttend church, prayer meetings, leaders meetings, mens breakfasts, moderate here, etc.

So yes, reading you bible is important, but you are not a Muslim, you are not under law. read it when you feel driven to.

But a word of warning, if that is all you are doing, without enjoying the fulness of a Christian walk, it could seem like a chore.

Excellent post Fez....  describes our house.