• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

3 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings Angels

Good stuff,,,may I ask where you got that bit of info from? Thanks for sharing             Praise Jesus,King of kings!!!!      With love-in Christ,Kwik

Sorry,I did copy the link but it didn't get posted :)

Igotquestions,if you need to know about something as a rule you can find very good answers for every question you have...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,096
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Thanks Sis,,,,,,,

They're pretty good,basically,,,,,,,,,you know me & where I look for answers to my every question,,,,,,,,,,God Bless you                   Love you,Kwik

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,661
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  2

From what I have heard of JW's, Russell was an Adventist, and so the religion is basically an offshoot of the SDA's. He began to differ on one point and later declined other doctrines, while replacing them with new doctrines. I don't know how much of their beliefs were formed by the subsequent followers. 

While they err on some doctrines, it may be unwise to automatically discard all all of their doctrines. They hold some doctrines which are sound, yet which the rest of Christendom reject. 

I think that if one was serious about finding truth, that every avenue should be investigated by scripture, with bigotry and prejudice kept in check.

The first doctrine that Russell pushed was a millennium of peace on earth, as opposed to the Bible which teaches that the saints will go to heaven, with heaven settling on earth after the millennium. But they held to the doctrine of the resurrection and a real world to live on, which fits in well.

We have variants of the millennial kingdom in different religions, as with many other doctrines, including the nature of the resurrection. But most of these are based on variants in the doctrines of the afterlife. Here the majority of churches fail to be true, while the JW's have kept the Biblical truth on that one.

So on one hand the JW's have a real life on earth made new, but they have spiritualized other things away, like the return of Christ, saying that Christ returned (spiritually) in 1914.

The 1914 doctrine comes from misapplying a prophecy in Daniel - regarding the seven years of the king's humbling, which is removed from its literal fulfillment to the king, and reapplied in vision time, by expanding the 7 years to 2520 years, which they calculate from the beginning of the 2300 days/years in chapter 8, which brings us to 1914.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/03/1973

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2015 at 2:32 AM, bopeep1909 said:

Question: "Who are the Jehovah's Witnesses and what are their beliefs?"

Answer: 
The sect known today as the Jehovah's Witnesses started out in Pennsylvania in 1870 as a Bible class led by Charles Taze Russell. Russell named his group the “Millennial Dawn Bible Study.” Charles T. Russell began writing a series of books he called “The Millennial Dawn,” which stretched to six volumes before his death and contained much of the theology Jehovah’s Witnesses now hold. After Russell's death in 1916, Judge J. F. Rutherford, Russell's friend and successor, wrote the seventh and final volume of the “Millennial Dawn” series, “The Finished Mystery,” in 1917. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society was founded in 1886 and quickly became the vehicle through which the “Millennial Dawn” movement began distributing their views to others. The group was known as the “Russellites” until 1931 when, due to a split in the organization, it was renamed the “Jehovah’s Witnesses.” The group from which it split became known as the “Bible students.”

What do Jehovah’s Witnesses believe? Close scrutiny of their doctrinal position on such subjects as the deity of Christ, salvation, the Trinity, the Holy Spirit, and the atonement shows beyond a doubt that they do not hold to orthodox Christian positions on these subjects. Jehovah’s Witnesses believe Jesus is Michael the archangel, the highest created being. This contradicts many Scriptures which clearly declare Jesus to be God (John 1:1,148:58,10:30). Jehovah’s Witnesses believe salvation is obtained by a combination of faith, good works, and obedience. This contradicts countless scriptures which declare salvation to be received by grace through faith (John 3:16;Ephesians 2:8-9Titus 3:5). Jehovah’s Witnesses reject the Trinity, believing Jesus to be a created being and the Holy Spirit to essentially be the inanimate power of God. Jehovah’s Witnesses reject the concept of Christ’s substitutionary atonement and instead hold to a ransom theory, that Jesus’ death was a ransom payment for Adam’s sin.

How do the Jehovah’s Witnesses justify these unbiblical doctrines? First, they claim that the church has corrupted the Bible over the centuries; thus, they have re-translated the Bible into what they call the New World Translation. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society altered the text of the Bible to make it fit their false doctrine, rather than basing their doctrine on what the Bible actually teaches. The New World Translation has gone through numerous editions, as the Jehovah’s Witnesses discover more and more Scriptures that contradict their doctrines.

The Watchtower bases its beliefs and doctrines on the original and expanded teachings of Charles Taze Russell, Judge Joseph Franklin Rutherford, and their successors. The governing body of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society is the only body in the cult that claims authority to interpret Scripture. In other words, what the governing body says concerning any scriptural passage is viewed as the last word, and independent thinking is strongly discouraged. This is in direct opposition to Paul's admonition to Timothy (and to us as well) to study to be approved by God, so that we need not be ashamed as we correctly handle the Word of God. This admonition, found in 2 Timothy 2:15, is a clear instruction from God to each of His children to be like the Berean Christians, who searched the Scriptures daily to see if the things they were being taught lined up with the Word.

There is probably no religious group that is more faithful than the Jehovah’s Witnesses at getting their message out. Unfortunately, the message is full of distortions, deceptions, and false doctrine. May God open the eyes of the Jehovah’s Witnesses to the truth of the gospel and the true teaching of God’s Word.

That was written very well, you seem to have a talent in teaching and communication. I did learn alot from your analysis of the J.W.

Thankyou, the J.W frequently visit my area so now I have a much better idea what their up too.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

On 9/29/2015 at 5:15 AM, Righttruth said:

Like all sects and denominations, they too are not perfect in their understanding. Nevertheless, they do have good points. It is for us to pick the nuggets of wisdom from their thinking too!

It appears Righttruth has been banned. But I am glad this post remains. Can you smell the sulfur in it? It is like saying the Trick-or-Treat candy may have poison in it but its for us to pick out the good candy we can find in it by exposing ourselves to every piece.

To what are we supposed to check these "nuggets" out with? Our opinions? Traditions? The denomination of our choice? How about we do what the Jesus seminar did and put it to a vote...

When Adam and Eve were not only innocent of evil they were not swayed by it either, and the devil pulled the wool over their eyes... how much more since the fall!

Education touts itself as the deliverer of man from the archaic and the ignorance of the past... and in many ways it does... but also programs people into the belief systems that hold sway over the education system.

People are easily swayed.

That's why truth is not left up to man but to God.

2 Peter 1:20–21 (AV)

20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

All scripture was given this way (2 Timothy 3:16-17) thus no part of scripture is of any private interpretation.

2 Timothy 3:16–17 (AV)

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God†, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

God breathed

John 16:13 (AV)

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

And the only way to know it is the genuine Holy Spirit is to test the spirits one and all (1 John 4:1) as we are to test all things (1 Thessalonians 5:21) because God wants us to get to the truth and the facts even if that means testing him. And to do so...

Acts 17:11 (AV)

11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Full circle.

John 17:17 (AV)

17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

But take care not to be too comfortable in the denominations we often bury ourselves in (as has been suggested in this thread by other posters). For the errors in the denominations that are left unchecked expose people in it to con artists and hucksters in cults like Jehovah's Witnesses and Latter Day Saints and Christadelphians and on and on...  who trip up genuine believers in the true Jesus Christ with those errors in their denomination... the traditions of men masquerading as truth:

Mark 7:7–13 (AV)

7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.

9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:

11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.

12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;

13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Cults do not stand a chance with a Christian who is biblically informed by the Holy Spirit. Their lies are as obvious as a three dollar bill.

On 1/12/2016 at 11:25 PM, tigger two said:

As I understand it, it is not allowed to defend Mormon teaching or JW teaching.  The major difference for JWs at least concerns the knowledge of God.  This is to be discussed only with the traditional trinitarian point of view.

So you are beating a dead horse here.  There can be no honest defense of JW theology here.

There can be no honest defense of JW teachings of any sort here or anywhere.

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society is a lie and it spreads lies. That is as honest as the subject will ever get.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I have had JW on my porch before.I tell them that Jesus Christ is the risen Son of God and died on the cross for my sins.They just say "Thank you.Have a nice day".And that is it.

On 1/12/2016 at 9:48 AM, Reinitin said:

The worst part is they changed the word of God to support their false doctin and hide Jesus behind a veil. The best thing about it is a warning to us all that there are men in this world that will pervert the translation of the scripture to hide the truth from people. I love the Word of God. But, the Lord is the One who saves us. Not our knowledge or good works.

I agree this is the worst thing they did. But we must all strive not to change any portion of the Word of God by our tradition, interpretation, or our personal understanding. If we are not deliberately aware of this and dogmatically determined to test all things by the scriptures we will "change" the Word of God ourselves in smaller ways than the cults do to be sure... but it's the same evil nevertheless.

4 minutes ago, bopeep1909 said:

I have had JW on my porch before.I tell them that Jesus Christ is the risen Son of God and died on the cross for my sins.They just say "Thank you.Have a nice day". And that is it.

That's good.

Most people just pretend they are not at home and the JWs leave their trash fliers on the porch and go.

After I left home to serve in the Navy, my mother and step-father (who I was close to after a horrific incident between us 5 years earlier) separated. The news was withheld from me as I was in the Persian Gulf during the Iranian hostage crisis on a destroyer not much bigger than many yachts are today (only we had about 400 sailors aboard). It was an unusual situation involving my ship being underway at sea for almost three months without pulling into port. And we were being buzzed in the actual Persian Gulf by F4 Phantoms we sold to the Iranians (to the Shah) while the aircraft carriers steaming out in the Indian Ocean got all the press back here at home. They were safe and we were under the gun with only two other ships in company (USS La Salle and different frigates that came and went). Both my folks wanted to spare me their separation and eventual divorce.

Dear mummy has a way, to put it nicely, of bringing out the worst in people. I hold nothing against her. I haven't for years now. But the horrific event that happened between my step-father and I when I was 13 had a lot to do with that way of hers. Both he and I owned up to our parts in the matter and became close after we patched everything up. It strikes me just now that she never did own up to anything. Hmmm she never has... why does this still surprise me?

Anyway, separating from the guy was not enough for mother, she had to destroy the guy whose only fault in the matter was falling for the wrong woman. He was a good man hard working and very family oriented. Absolutely devastated, he determined to take his own life in the mobile home he moved into. He had the gun ready to go when two Jehovah's Witnesses knocked at his door and he answered. This is bitter sweet because I am thankful they talked him out of killing himself no doubt. But in doing so they established a bond, a deep seeded emotional tie with the Watchtower that would never be broken. 

For years I tried.

Along the way I learned a lot about the Jehovah's Witnesses and encountered several former JWs but none were like Peter Barnes. He was a circuit overseer in London over several Kingdom Halls. He since came to faith in the true Jesus Christ and set out to undo the damage he did as a Witness. I gladly stood beside him at the rallies outside Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego where the Jehovah's Witnesses held their annual convention. I visited him and his wife in their mobile home in Santee, California. And he told me the thing that cut through all the subterfuge with him and the point he hammered home when he witnessed to the Witnesses was:

The Bible teaches there are only two kinds of gods, the one true God and false gods. Jesus cannot be a little god with a small "g" as Witnesses teach and not be a false god.

I can go toe-to-toe with the best JW over any argument but I never came up with a better argument than Peter Barnes.

The crux of the matter with any cult, religion, even denominations of orthodoxy is Jesus Christ and who do we say he is.

Matthew 16:13–23 (AV)

13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.

15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.

22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.

23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Every answer from man was wrong. Every answer from God was right. A Jesus of man's understanding or imagination is not true Jesus at all.

2 Corinthians 11:3–4 (AV)

3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

Galatians 1:8–9 (AV)

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

John 8:24 (AV)

24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he†, ye shall die in your sins.

the Greek text only reads "that I am," the word "he" is italicized insertion by translators 

Jesus is LORD YHVH Jehovah.

Philippians 2:10–11 (AV)

10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord†, to the glory of God the Father.

kurios used in the LXX to translate the Hebrew YHVH Jehovah

My step-father (well into his 80s now) and I lost touch years ago. He and his youngest son, my half brother, visited us in the 1990s and he tried to witness to me back before I took my Christian faith seriously... not seriously enough to crack open a Bible or do much more than swallow doctrines spoon fed me by the Churches I attended anyway... and his 90 day training at the Kingdom Hall kicked my fanny for all my ignorance. I did not even know Yeshua was Jesus Hebrew name. And I got the Mormon planet Kolob doctrine mixed up with the Watchtower theology.

It got me to study. And I will be ever grateful for that. Plus the fact that he only witnessed to me out of love. The same love I felt for him trying to witness to him over the years since to get him out of that damnable cult (once I learned how). But as I said, the emotional ties were too strong. He since remarried, a Witness, and he lost her to cancer I believe it was. My heart breaks for this man. His name is Norm.