• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Blessings Shiloh,,,,

Isn't this author the one that claims she has coffee with God in the morning ,with total irreverence ,,,,,as if "He" is a "he" she speaks to any kind of way?And she had a 2nd & 3rd publication that was different than the first,,,,,I heard the 1st was alluding to more Christianity & then the others were more "New Age",,,,,,,,am I thinking of the right person,didn't we talk a little about her some time ago?    

Well,it is certainly a good "warning",,,,,,,I don't understand why so many people will read anything anybody says ABOUT GOD & they just won't read what HE has to say??????               Love,Kwik

We did talk about her awhile ago...

Guest shiloh357

Blessings Shiloh,,,,

Isn't this author the one that claims she has coffee with God in the morning ,with total irreverence ,,,,,as if "He" is a "he" she speaks to any kind of way?And she had a 2nd & 3rd publication that was different than the first,,,,,I heard the 1st was alluding to more Christianity & then the others were more "New Age",,,,,,,,am I thinking of the right person,didn't we talk a little about her some time ago?    

Well,it is certainly a good "warning",,,,,,,I don't understand why so many people will read anything anybody says ABOUT GOD & they just won't read what HE has to say??????               Love,Kwik

I think there was a thread about this a while back.    Until 2011, the preface of the book spoke about her being inspired by "God Calling"   a book written by to British women who were New Age spiritualists back in the early 1900s.   They claimed they were channeling "The Christ."  In fact, for a while, I noticed "God Calling" was being placed next to Jesus Calling on store shelves in Christian bookstores, as if it were a sequel to her book.   It took a while for people to catch on and when they finally got enough complaints, "God Calling" was pulled from the shelves.

Jesus Calling is a very doctrinally troubling book, but it is pulls on the emotions which is why it appeals more to women than men and why it is marketed to women.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1985

Interestingly we were given this book by a normally very sound Baptist pastor who would hold fairly similar views to Shiloh most of the time, I don't know if I still have it, as we never used it. I think I'm stick with Spurgeon's Morning by Morning is my daily devotional.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Shiloh,,,,

Ah,yes,,,you have sparked my memory.............I do remember reading about the book & hearing many 'parts of it",not good

Until 2011, the preface of the book spoke about her being inspired by "God Calling"   a book written by to British women who were New Age spiritualists back in the early 1900s.   They claimed they were channeling "The Christ."

Indeed,a very troubling book,,,,,,,New Age most definitely,,,,,,,,,,,,,"Channeling" also is a very occultist word,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I didn't know anything about the way they were trying to market it by putting "God Caling"  beside it on the shelves,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Wow,that is sooooo deceptive & it is really not about trying to make money but about spreading false doctrine,as you have said,,,,unbelievable!!!!!'

Love Kwik

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/30/1978

I received this book as a gift about 9 months ago, I had it a total of 5 days. I'm ashamed to say I liked it at first. Day by day I felt a little worse and could not figure out why. I began getting spiritually attacked in my sleep and would wake up over and over. I can discern spirits and by day 4 I knew something bad was around me. I remember asking myself could it be the book?? Nooo ofcourse not I told myself (smh). Well day 5 I spotted a false teaching and I knew it had been the book all along! I destroyed it and since then I've destroyed 2 more. And I continue to warn people about this evil book. Someone's calling but it ain't Jesus!

• 6 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  89
  • Birthday:  03/08/1974

On 11/15/2015 at 4:59 PM, ricky said:

Interestingly we were given this book by a normally very sound Baptist pastor who would hold fairly similar views to Shiloh most of the time, I don't know if I still have it, as we never used it. I think I'm stick with Spurgeon's Morning by Morning is my daily devotional.  

Thank you shiloh for the original post....I have read both God Calling and Jesus Calling. God Calling is highly revered in AA. 

However, like ricky, I think I will still with Morning and Evening by Spurgeon.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

On 11/11/2015 at 11:56 AM, shiloh357 said:

Sarah Young’s Jesus Calling is a phenomenon that shows no signs of slowing down. According to publisher Thomas Nelson, it “continues to grow in units sold each year since it was released [and] has surpassed 15 million copies sold.” Nelson is involved in an expansive new marketing campaign that involves a new web site and daily radio devotionals. ECPA reports that “Thomas Nelson began its partnership with the Salem Media group to provide 60-second daily messages on Eric Metaxas’ show, which is carried on more than 100 stations nationwide and worldwide on SiriusXM Radio. The Jesus Calling radio devotional reaches more than 500,000 people each day through these segments.” With 15 million copies sold, it has marched its way into rare company.

Yet it is a deeply troubling book. I am going to point out 10 serious problems with Jesus Calling in the hope that you will consider and heed these warnings.

http://www.challies.com/articles/10-serious-problems-with-jesus-calling

Deeply troubling. I can see why in our day and age there have been 15 millions copies sold. And many of them are probably Christian.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 0:12 PM, shiloh357 said:

I am really troubled by the lack of discernment in the church, today.  So  many women in churches around the US are having group devotions surrounding this book.  They have them at work or at their church or in their homes even.  Discussion groups are being formed.  It is a huge hit down here in the Bible-belt.   Very discouraging at times.

Well of course ya  know what I might say.....

First I will agree so many are lacking discernment...

this lady's book smacks of thinking her teachings of God directly, distinct from the written scripture...........Sounds like The Rabbinic promotion of oral law (from Talmud) handed down by the sect of the Pharisees. A lot in the Church today can't seem to discern the difference  either

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  89
  • Birthday:  03/08/1974

It may be adding fuel to the fire here...but there is now a whole series of "bible" studies that use the devo as the primary text.

I don't want to bash Sarah Young...heaven knows that people can pick apart anything I do any day of the week...but I think the devo as primary way of relating to God is not the most sound approach. People will argue if you lift up studying the biblical text as a/the primary way of relating to God saying that the the first century Christians did not "have" the bible. Jesus' example to the community was one of being a faithful follower of YHWH, which included faithful study or sacred Jewish texts. We should seek to do the same.

SS

2 minutes ago, Theophilia05151 said:

It may be adding fuel to the fire here...but there is now a whole series of "bible" studies that use the devo as the primary text.

I don't want to bash Sarah Young...heaven knows that people can pick apart anything I do any day of the week...but I think the devo as primary way of relating to God is not the most sound approach. People will argue if you lift up studying the biblical text as a/the primary way of relating to God saying that the the first century Christians did not "have" the bible. Jesus' example to the community was one of being a faithful follower of YHWH, which included faithful study or sacred Jewish texts. We should seek to do the same.

SS

Yes, study of Jewish TEXT (written), not oral tradition. Which later became the written texts of Pharisaic thinking, promoted as law (oral).