IGNORED

Speaking in tongues is that ,real or alive today ?

SINNERSAVED

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/23/1982

14 minutes ago, Giller said:

1Co 14:2
(2)  For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

It seems to me that the assertion of the King James writers were right in saying that these were unknown tongues, for it describes these tongues as not being spoken unto men, yet in Acts 2, they were spoken unto men.

Also it says no man understandeth him, no man !!!

I speak in tongues and they are real, though there are a lot of fake tongues out there as well, and when you experience it , you cannot deny it.

1 Corinthians 12:27-31

27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

I don't doubt your experience.  My mind always comes to this part of the text where the question is asked do all speak with tongues and many of those who do have told me of its necessity.  

How do you interpret vs 1 Corinthians 14: 19 and 22 and 27

19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

Most of the times that I have seen people experiencing the gift of tongues there are a ton of people speaking in tongues at the same time but the bible says let it be by to at most three.  Also it says it is a sign for the non believer.  When you speak in tongues is it always when a non believer is in your midst? 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I will trust in the Word of God as it is said in... Psalms 68:18  Thou(Jesus) hast ascended on high,(Heavens Throne) thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received "gifts" for men; yea, for the rebellious also, "THAT GOD MIGHT DWELL AMONG THEM."     

Yes our precious Redeemer, Lord Jesus Christ sits on His heavenly throne as King, He took our captivity captive, we are free.  He gave us gifts, where is He? well so are the gifts that are given us, they are heavenly & divine, so our Lord God might dwell here among us.  Jesus is our living Heavenly King of right here & right now, not a was or going to be, but is the Great I Am.

Ephesians 4:8  Wherefore he saith, When He ascended on High, He led captivity captive, and gave "gifts" to men.

We were given heavenly gifts from God & no where do I see that He has taken them away, I love how the Lord is such a big giver & giver of more life, so we can live a  more abundant life.  Life giver & life keeper of our all, right here & now, Our Jesus forever.   :D

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

11 hours ago, Giller said:

You really need to experience tongues people.

Here's your answer.

11 hours ago, Giller said:

do all speak with tongues?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Yes Ezra.....that would be the same as saying "You all need to experience prophesying people!" And as the Apostle Paul said,I wish you all did BUT....what is MOST important?????

LOVE......:emot-heartbeat:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  35
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I think that the gift of tongues still exists, but in my 30 years as a believer I never heard anyone manifesting it. I believe that in Azuza Street (LAX 1906 - 1915) God poured out his Spirit on those believers and they really spoke previously unknown national languages, but what I hear today in my church is just gibberish. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

25 minutes ago, Marcelo Brüderlein said:

I think that the gift of tongues still exists, but in my 30 years as a believer I never heard anyone manifesting it

That is a self-contradictory statement.  The reason you never saw any manifestation is because that gift is no longer operative. "Whether there be tongues, they shall cease."

We do a great disservice by pretending that all the spiritual gifts are still operational, when clearly they are not.  The sign gifts were for the apostolic churches, and are long gone. 

However, all the remaining gifts get scant attention, and the majority of Christians do not even know what their gifts are, let alone exercising them to the fullest.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

6 minutes ago, Ezra said:

That is a self-contradictory statement.  The reason you never saw any manifestation is because that gift is no longer operative. "Whether there be tongues, they shall cease."

We do a great disservice by pretending that all the spiritual gifts are still operational, when clearly they are not.  The sign gifts were for the apostolic churches, and are long gone. 

However, all the remaining gifts get scant attention, and the majority of Christians do not even know what their gifts are, let alone exercising them to the fullest.

I fail to see what is self-contradictory.  I believe that the "ceasing" quote, misses the point ot the context. The sign gifts being absent, is an assumption, but not a scriptural assertion. At least I can agree with your last paragraph.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Does it amaze anyone else, that it takes 12 pages so far, to reply to a question that can pretty much be answer with a yes or a no?

:)

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

The Apostle Paul said -`I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all.` (1 Cor. 14: 18)

I have spoken in tongues since I was a teenager. I received the gift when I was at a church camp in the highlands of New Zealand. We were all praising the Lord, Maori`s & Packeha`s, (sp!) and I just praised also. I appreciate being able to speak forth in tongues, (privately) in my prayer time, or driving along or.... The praising of God builds up my spirit and helps me to focus on the Lord.

regards, Marilyn.

Edited by Marilyn C

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02

Walter Martin did a study into the biblical "speaking in tongues" doctrine.

It may not satisfy some but it answered for me whether or not there was any need for it in my walk with Christ.

I never agreed with the teaching that it is (the) evidence of salvation as some teach in certain denominations. At best it was (a) sign of salvation and in a time when the Church was in its infancy and the Bible was not fully revealed to man...

The Greek terms glossolalia and dialectos distinguished one passage about speaking in tongues from the other. Speaking in gibberish versus speaking in a known language other than Hebrew or Aramaic (as a sign to foreigners who understood what the Apostles were speaking, and as a sign that the Apostles did not otherwise speak those languages... they did not know the languages). The speaking or praying in gibberish can be attributed to:

Romans 8:26 (AV)
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.