• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

Sorry if this may seem like a repeat of other threads, this is just something I have been thinking about:

How is spiritual pride defined?  Is it different from emotional pride?  Or is emotional pride a manifestation of spiritual pride?  Is it ok to be proud of someone else?  Is it ever ok to be proud of yourself?  Is God ever proud of us?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this :)

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Sorry if this may seem like a repeat of other threads, this is just something I have been thinking about:

How is spiritual pride defined?  Is it different from emotional pride?  Or is emotional pride a manifestation of spiritual pride?  Is it ok to be proud of someone else?  Is it ever ok to be proud of yourself?  Is God ever proud of us?

The Bible says that pride in itself is very dangerous.So attach pride to all that is spiritual would not be a good thing.It is ok to excel at something and feel good about that.There are boundaries we must maintain as a Christian so our accomplishments do not go to our head and allow us to become prideful..One must always stay humble as a Christian.God loves us very much.I do not know if being proud of us comes into that.I do know that our ultimate goal is to find ourselves in heaven face to face with Christ and have him say "Well done good and faithful servant".I would think he would be very happy that we have achieved that goal.

Edited by bopeep1909

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Sis Zion.....

Great topic but it is probably a discussion we can have that could last hours-lol     I have found through much study,prayer & seeking Gods Truth that  this spirit(jeff touched on it)seems to be at the root of just about everything & it is rampant on earth,,,,,,,,,,,from the simplest thing as one not being able to refrain from "re-acting"to someones words & having to be heard & to be right & have the last word & me ,me,me,I ,I ,I to being defensive & to the greedy thirst for money & power,,,,,,,,,,,,it always seems to be pride at the core,that insideous spirit,,,,not easily recognized

Give someone a suggestion about being kinder,nicer,more loving & they will bark at you,,,,,,,,say something you could have said with more compassion,they will say"How dare they speak to ME that way"..........when someone steals they believe they are entitled(pride),they lie & are trying to hide something(pride),,,,,,,,,,,, want to lead a sinful lifestyle (for self satisfaction or gratification),,,it;s pride,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they hate because they are hurt(pride).......violent to be in control(pride),,,,& so on & so on and what is pride really,idolatry,of self,,,,,,,,,,,,I believe that is why Gods Word says if you break one commandment,you have broken them all,,,,,,,,because they are all the same

Like I said Sis,we could talk about this forever and I know first hand because I was very prideful before life with Jesus,,,,,,,it still comes knocking ,,,,,,,,those demons miss their old comfy home,,,,,,,,,,,,,the only way to keep em out is to stay filled with the Holy Spirit & leave no room,keep Gods Full Armor on & be alert,,,,,,,,,,,,I believe if any man says he has not an issue with"pride",he is also a liar                I fall down,I get embarrassed,my "pride" is bruised,,,,,,,,,pride is everywhere,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Glory to God,we all need Jesus,,,,,,,,,,,,,thank God for the Blood of the Lamb

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

As said, pride is rarely evident to ourselves but is most often seen by others.  We may have a superior attitude do to our level of education, like a doctorate in theology, due to our superior gifts, or our level of Bible knowledge.  We can even be proud of our humility!  As soon as we think we have "arrived" in some area we become proud.  When we begin to think we are less worldly that other Christians we become proud.  Some can't handle becoming worship leaders without becoming proud.  Satan became proud and wanted to unseat the LIVING GOD!  Pride is the root of rebellion.  As soon as someone wants people to look at them and pay attention to them instead of seeing Jesus, there is pride at work.  

Our society champions pride and rebellion.  We became a nation by rebelling against the king of England's tyranny and the South to this day call themself rebels.  So the great sin is able to hide in plain sight in the USA.  It is our shame and undoing.  God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.  

Some have asked why we don't see miracles like other lands are seeing.  I think it is due to our pride.  

God have mercy on me, a sinner.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I think Proverbs 16:18-19  says it all.  I"m not going to quote it because I want you to look it up.  There is nothing wrong with feeling pride in some things, but you had better remember just where everything you have and those in your life that you are proud of come from.  God gave it all to you.  Take care with it.

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Days Won:  5

Zion

I think it's ok to be proud of someone else and give credit where credit is due, but not to glorify them, or put them on a high pedestal because after all we are all still imperfect, and Christ said no one is good but God.

Matthew 19:17   And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

And then there is this scripture I always think of;

Proverbs 27:14   He that blesseth his friend with a loud voice, rising early in the morning, it shall be counted a curse to him.

Is it ok to be proud of ourself?  I think it builds pride.  Better to be proud of God and the Lamb who shows us the right path.  The glory should go to them, and we stay humble.

That's my view.

Edited by Sister

Yes :) 

To clarify, I know what the general definition of pride is.  What I was after was a working definition of spiritual pride specifically in relation to what we all think of as pride; be that arrogance or lack of modesty.  I am in much agreement with all that has been said thus far, so thanks for the replies.  I guess we have a good foundation now which we can use as a back drop to the discussion.  

Blessings :)

Edited by *Zion*

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

That one scripture comes to my mind. 'Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.'  Since everything comes from Him, seems it is the only thing we can boast in.   I find pride creeps in the more I read the bible, then sit at my church bible study among those who don't read it much and think I'm so smart and I hate that. I'd so prefer to be with those who are reading it the same or more than me so I can communicate better.   But God has had my nose in the bible this year and a half, not me.  He said, as I was pondering why, and He said 'so you'll be equipped for every good work.' But actually I love the concept of growing in love far more anyhow.  Which is what I am working on. 'Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies.'   Who do WE the think WE are anyway? 

That one scripture comes to my mind. 'Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.'  Since everything comes from Him, seems it is the only thing we can boast in.   I find pride creeps in the more I read the bible, then sit at my church bible study among those who don't read it much and think I'm so smart and I hate that. I'd so prefer to be with those who are reading it the same or more than me so I can communicate better.   But God has had my nose in the bible this year and a half, not me.  He said, as I was pondering why, and He said 'so you'll be equipped for every good work.' But actually I love the concept of growing in love far more anyhow.  Which is what I am working on. 'Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies.'   Who do WE the think WE are anyway? 

Would you define this as an example of spiritual pride, or emotional pride?  I'm not picking on you, it's just it may be something that may or may not be defined as spiritual pride, which is what I am after :)

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Zion....

I'm going to ask you,if I may what you mean by "spiritual" &/or "emotional" pride,,,,,,I cannot relate to either of these (by definition ) because "pride" is a spirit,,,,,,,,,,a spirit that influences one to think highly of oneself,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

King James Bible
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.                                                                       Eph 6:12

Can you help me to better understand what you are asking,I know that you know what I am talking about & we are usually on the same page(lol)so I am pretty sure you will clarify things for me,,,,,,,,,,,,,God Bless you Sis :confused:                           With love-in Christ,Kwik